Fall 2020 Industrial Organizational Psychology PhD

Anyone hear anything else from Wayne State? They've typically notified all applicants of their status by this time (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted). Their visit weekend was Feb. 15 last year and I'd assume it wouldn't be too different this year. I'm just anxious to hear anything from anyone at this point.  

1 hour ago, IOapp2020 said:

Anyone hear anything else from Wayne State? They've typically notified all applicants of their status by this time (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted). Their visit weekend was Feb. 15 last year and I'd assume it wouldn't be too different this year. I'm just anxious to hear anything from anyone at this point.  

No I haven't heard back anything yet. When I interview on the 16th they said it was probably going to take 1-2 weeks to hear back. Guess it's getting to that 2 week mark now.

- On a side note I did hear back from Michigan State today and was accepted. 

Edited by greatestscott1

1 hour ago, IOQuestions said:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see who has heard back from the following schools;

U of Illinois, BGSU, Penn State, Ohio University, and Clemson (I know they sent an email about not hearing back for a few more weeks).

I applied to BGSU and Penn State. BGSU reached out and told me that I was on their short wait list. Penn State I have not heard back from. 

1 hour ago, IOQuestions said:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see who has heard back from the following schools;

U of Illinois, BGSU, Penn State, Ohio University, and Clemson (I know they sent an email about not hearing back for a few more weeks).

I heard back from BGSU-they have already extended offers and they put me on their waitlist (they said that it was a short waitlist). I got into Ohio University, interviews were on January 2nd; OU's visitation weekend is this Friday. 

On 1/29/2020 at 1:32 PM, IOapp2020 said:

The $200 deposit required within 14 days of admission is interesting...Maybe that's normal of rolling admissions?

That's interesting? I saw the application fee is waived for first year but didn't see anything about a $200 deposit - is this a graduate student fee? Either way, spoke to a person involved and they said rolling admission is only 1st year because the state approval took so long the program couldn't announce in Fall. They want to have final offers out by mid-May and will offer full fellowship along with research and travel funding. 

On 1/30/2020 at 9:48 AM, I/OWA said:

Has anyone heard from LSU or Nebraska?

I got a call from a POI at Nebraska-Omaha yesterday (1/30) letting me know I'd been accepted to the MA/PhD program. They said that official letters/acceptance information wouldn't be going out until mid February/March

On 1/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, IOpener said:

I know a couple faculty at both that are good. The rankings online aren’t representative of programs and not useful at all. It is far more important to have an advisor who is top of their sub-field and is a good human being. 

Agree. Have been looking into I-O programs that are academically focused as I want to become a professor. The Purdue I-O is probably the best from what I can tell. Over the last few years they have launched almost all their grad students as I-O Assistant Professors in places like NIU, BGSU, George Mason, Houston... Even the industry students have gotten into places like Google ... Too bad I was rejected from their program.

1 hour ago, M.Millier said:

I got a call from a POI at Nebraska-Omaha yesterday (1/30) letting me know I'd been accepted to the MA/PhD program. They said that official letters/acceptance information wouldn't be going out until mid February/March

Who is your poi?

Hey everyone, does anyone know about the quality of NC State's program? I know that Michigan State's program is always near the top of rankings and is highly respected, so I am favoring them at the moment, but I can't find as much information about NC State's program. Does anyone have any opinions?

1 hour ago, greatestscott1 said:

Hey everyone, does anyone know about the quality of NC State's program? I know that Michigan State's program is always near the top of rankings and is highly respected, so I am favoring them at the moment, but I can't find as much information about NC State's program. Does anyone have any opinions?

You could visit and decide? MSU is great on rankings but Steve Kozlowski is leaving. Many full professors are also emeritus there

https://www.usf.edu/arts-sciences/departments/psychology/graduate/industrial-organization/i-o-faculty.aspx

12 minutes ago, xdj17 said:

Can you get waitlisted without interviewing???

Yes, I was waitlisted without interviewing at BGSU. I think that it is rare for a school to do this, albeit slightly more common in I-O psych that in other branches of psychology.

50 minutes ago, GH1D said:

Yes, I was waitlisted without interviewing at BGSU. I think that it is rare for a school to do this, albeit slightly more common in I-O psych that in other branches of psychology.

BGSU did the same with me. Do you mind PMing me who reached out to you? Curious if we had the same person.

A faculty from GMU reached out to me to discuss the status of my application. They explicitly said that it was not for an interview but rather to discuss my application status. Has anyone else gotten an email like this from GMU or another school? Any thoughts on what it could mean?

3 hours ago, GH1D said:

A faculty from GMU reached out to me to discuss the status of my application. They explicitly said that it was not for an interview but rather to discuss my application status. Has anyone else gotten an email like this from GMU or another school? Any thoughts on what it could mean?

I got a similar email from my Michigan State application, they called me the next day to let me know I was accepted. I think they are probably going to let you know if you were accepted/waitlisted or not. Hopefully it's good news!