Fall 2020 Industrial Organizational Psychology PhD

On 2/1/2020 at 1:21 PM, IOHappening said:

Received a rejection from Purdue I-O. It seems very early compared to other programs. Anyone else on the Purdue waitlist or accepted? 

I was accepted to Purdue on 1/28 after attending their visiting day the week before!

4 hours ago, arewedoneyet said:

Anybody who's been to an interview/recruitment weekend have any tips? Starting to feel nervous about an upcoming one and could use some advice!

Make sure you’re prepared with questions and information about the program as well as reasons why that program/POI specifically are a good fit for you. Also make sure to relax and breathe — it’s going to be a long, stressful day, so make sure you have the stamina. Remember that by even getting to the recruitment weekend, you’re one of their top candidates!

5 hours ago, emsoap said:

Make sure you’re prepared with questions and information about the program as well as reasons why that program/POI specifically are a good fit for you. Also make sure to relax and breathe — it’s going to be a long, stressful day, so make sure you have the stamina. Remember that by even getting to the recruitment weekend, you’re one of their top candidates!

That's so helpful, thank you!

Had anyone ever had to do a behavioral interview for grad school admissions? I have one coming up that consists of 6 questions about your past behaviors, and I’m feeling really nervous about it and unsure how to prepare.

Hey Y'all,

Wanted to say so far I have only heard back from IUPUI's MS Program

However, they did email saying I was on a short-list of applicants and I have a phone interview tomorrow. The interview is with two POI's. Is this a likely sign of acceptance? 

13 minutes ago, arispawgld said:

Hey Y'all,

However, they did email saying I was on a short-list of applicants and I have a phone interview tomorrow. The interview is with two POI's. Is this a likely sign of acceptance? 

Sounds like it is just an interview. Schools make short-lists prior to interviewing. Congrats on getting an interview!

On 1/29/2020 at 4:56 PM, greatestscott1 said:

No I haven't heard back anything yet. When I interview on the 16th they said it was probably going to take 1-2 weeks to hear back. Guess it's getting to that 2 week mark now.

- On a side note I did hear back from Michigan State today and was accepted. 

And now we're in week four ?

On 2/12/2020 at 12:07 PM, arispawgld said:

Hey Y'all,

So I had my interview and it went really well! I was invited to their program visit day in March. They didn't say it meant I was accepted, but at least part of the last pool of applicants! Anyone else hear back from IUPUI or other I/O masters programs?

17 hours ago, kp123 said:

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has gone to a campus on-site visit and then was rejected or waitlisted?? and if extended an offer, about how long after the campus visit was that given? Thanks!

Hi, I've been to a on-campus visit and then was later waitlisted. Most of the time they invite about two times/three times the number of students they're willing to admit (usually two to three people per lab position if they are following the mentor model) and then make their final decision regarding your fit to the program. But, don't be discouraged, going to the on-campus visit and being waitlisted only means that you're first or second on their list if another applicant denies their offer of admission! It's very rare to be rejected after the on-campus visit since you've already been identified as a top candidate! If anyone disagrees with me, please feel free to correct what I've said!

54 minutes ago, iam_sunshine said:

Has anyone gone to a welcome weekend after being accepted? If so, how did you dress? How did you prepare for the weekend? Any tips in general is much appreciated. 

Hey! I’m also prepping for one of these I have later this week! I don’t know if this helpful, but I’m just going to be prepping by writing down a list of questions to ask faculty members/current grad students. I think I’ll also dress a little more casual than I would for an interview day. 

3 hours ago, Io1 said:

Hey! I’m also prepping for one of these I have later this week! I don’t know if this helpful, but I’m just going to be prepping by writing down a list of questions to ask faculty members/current grad students. I think I’ll also dress a little more casual than I would for an interview day. 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, iam_sunshine said:

Has anyone gone to a welcome weekend after being accepted? If so, how did you dress? How did you prepare for the weekend? Any tips in general is much appreciated. 

I just wore a button-down shirt and slacks, nothing too fancy (check the weather beforehand). I'd definitely wear tennis shoes instead of dress shoes because you'll probably be walking a fair amount especially if they have a campus tour. 

7 hours ago, greatestscott1 said:

I just wore a button-down shirt and slacks, nothing too fancy (check the weather beforehand). I'd definitely wear tennis shoes instead of dress shoes because you'll probably be walking a fair amount especially if they have a campus tour. 

How did girls dress? And what if it's like -10C? I feel like wearing winter boots but I am afraid it would seem unprofessional. 

8 hours ago, iam_sunshine said:

How did girls dress? And what if it's like -10C? I feel like wearing winter boots but I am afraid it would seem unprofessional. 

Hey! I just visited DePaul this past weekend when it was close to -20C/0F and I wore dress pants with a polka dot blouse. I chose to wear dress shoes but I didn't walk outside that much tbh. Definitely bring gloves and a heavy winter jacket - I would skip a hat until after your visit bc hat hair is a thing haha.

10 hours ago, iam_sunshine said:

Living in the midwest all my life, you learn to do it "New York Style" bring a large professional bag where you would be able to put in a pair of tennis shoes. When you are in the building slip out of those and into your professional shoes. When it is time to go outside, slip into your tennis shoes! Also it is okay to wear a professional looking sweater or sweater dress. I think a good rule of thumb is that layers are always better!

In terms of what to ask, you want to ask the hard questions to the students. Ask what the classes are like, if the PI you will work with is accommodating etc! I got done with a visit like this 2 weeks ago and it was really nice because you are able to relax and there is not the pressure to perform well in an interview etc

On 1/28/2020 at 3:01 PM, IOPHD1 said:

I applied to CSU but have not heard back as well. 

I just heard back from CSU on 2/18, waitlisted though so they might still be going through the "higher up" applications (I was not super competitive for this program so I was not expecting too much)

Can anyone offer any info about Illinois Tech's PhD in I-O program? Mainly anything about their reputation, I applied there mostly for the location and wanted to see if people could say anything that can't necessarily be found online 

On 2/22/2020 at 12:22 PM, blacklab155 said:

I just heard back from CSU on 2/18, waitlisted though so they might still be going through the "higher up" applications (I was not super competitive for this program so I was not expecting too much)

I also applied to CSU-- I was waitlisted on 2/19. They are flying out two people, according to their email. 

45 minutes ago, psycholokri said:

I also applied to CSU-- I was waitlisted on 2/19. They are flying out two people, according to their email. 

Only 2 people? Wow. Also, it's interesting how different people get different information as nothing about the number of people was mentioned in my email.

14 hours ago, I/Orlando said:

Only 2 people? Wow. Also, it's interesting how different people get different information as nothing about the number of people was mentioned in my email.

Well the first email it mentioned they had sent the invites and asked me if I wanted to be on the waitlist. I said yes, and then asked what I could improve on for my application, and that's when they mentioned that "both applicants we flew out" hinting at two people.