Vanier 2019-2020

Proteinsci

1 hour ago, Rabin said:

Not sure, it is really hard to wait; i am checking the status in every 30.

me too. I am in bits! even though i told myself to expect the email on April 7th at 11:59pm.

3 minutes ago, StructIntern said:

Why 7th not 9th? 

As  stated somewhere on the thread, the results are to be released on the 7th. I grabbed the screen from research net.image.thumb.png.497d3e9227cb40ebf917ade6707bd887.png

Edited by Prereg

Did you see the announcement made today? Here it is. 

It says " In the coming weeks, funding opportunity competition timelines will be modified to reflect the required changes. In the meantime, it can be expected that competition and peer review activities will not take place before July 2020." does this include the Vanier?? 

All of the pages on ResearchNet and the Vanier CGS site still list the April 7th release date. That could change, but if they were planning on releasing the results this week, I'd assume the peer review portion was already complete. Though they might still decide to bump the release, who knows.

I also checked the ResearchNet under the archived section, it says the same to release the result  on April the 7th. As described in the website, they were supposed to complete peer review in February. But they might make an announcement of the postponement in the meantime.

23 minutes ago, Rabin said:

I also checked the ResearchNet under the archived section, it says the same to release the result  on April the 7th. As described in the website, they were supposed to complete peer review in February. But they might make an announcement of the postponement in the meantime.

So only CIHR and Vanier gave out a specific date for releasing the results ? Not sure how many of you applied for NSERC....they only stated that results will be made available in April (it could be early, mid, or late April!!!)

Hi all,

Starting from the ResearchNet update in the portal, I followed the 'CIHR's COVID-19 webpage' link. On that page, I clicked on the 'Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships' link under the list of specific scholarship opportunities. On that page, it says the following:

Anticipated announcement of results: Early April 2020

Release of results of 2019-2020 competition as planned (April 2020).

Not sure if we were aware of this already, but hope it helps!

Last year, they send me an email inviting me to look at my results in the portal (ResearchNet). But the results weren't in the email, you really had to log in into the portal to see them.

I received my answer on the first Monday of April in the afternoon (around 3pm) last year.

Edited by Adelaide9216

5 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Last year, they send me an email inviting me to look at my results in the portal (ResearchNet). But the results weren't in the email, you really had to log in into the portal to see them.

I received my answer on the first Monday of April in the afternoon (around 3pm) last year.

Which time zone ? 

My scores from McGill (Ranked 5/23):

Academic Excellence: 8.30

Research Potential: 7.40

Leadership: 8.17

My National Scores (Ranked 153/179):

Academic Excellence: 4.00

Research Potential: 4.80

Leadership: 2.10

I honestly don't understand. I don't mean to throw a pity-party for myself, but I don't understand.

50 minutes ago, ERW said:

I honestly don't understand. I don't mean to throw a pity-party for myself, but I don't understand.

You were so close!!! Try again next year. It all depends on the pool of applicants from one year to another!

Thank you, that's very kind. It just doesn't seem close, I would have had to be ranked a hundred spots higher to just barely make the cut. I don't know how I'd even begin to close that gap.

1 hour ago, ERW said:

Application processes are very arbitrary. You might submit the exact same application next year and get it. I know that not receiving the award after ranking so well at the university level feels bad, but you should be proud of yourself. You received a great score at one of the world's best universities. 

1 hour ago, ERW said:

It could indicate that the cohort from McGill is not that competitive this year compared to other schools ??? 

Hi all,

Glad that the waiting is over and happy to share that I received a SSHRC Vanier CGS! :)

I don't know my scores from UBC (they weren't communicated to us...or at least not to me), but posting my national scores below, if it's helpful to reference.

Ranked 26/179 SSHRC Vanier CGS

1. Academic Excellence: 8.00
  2. Research Potential: 7.50
  3. Leadership: 7.05

Overall average score: 7.52

Best of luck to everyone else! 

2 hours ago, StructIntern said:

It could indicate that the cohort from McGill is not that competitive this year compared to other schools ??? 

I had it explained to me today that this system curves the scores, adjusting them to match your final position in the ranking. So grades near the top are increased to match their high position and grades at the bottom curved down to reflect their position. I'm not sure what the rationale is supposed to be there.