Packing your life into two suitcases

Hey everyone ? So I'll be moving to the US this fall to start grad school. Any advice or reads on how to pack your life into two suitcases? How do you decide which books you'll be bringing with you?

same here

I think 2 suitcases won't be enough, so I'm planning on having some boxes shipped to me once I settle down... no way I can feet both summer and winter clothes plus books and other stuff in just 2 airplane size luggage

This was me six years ago! 

I think two suitcases is enough, but you have to be prepared to get rid of your stuff. I sold a lot of things before moving, left some things with friends. 

Here's what I did:

* Packed the clothing that I really liked, that I knew I'd be using for the next few months.

* Took only a couple of books and left the rest with friends/family. On every trip back, I took one or two books. For most, I realized I didn't need them. 

* Left some clothing I couldn't take the first time with an aunt and then she brought it when she visited (like cocktail dresses and high-heel shoes).

Now, this is my biggest piece of advice: You will be coming to a new country, a new program, a new everything. Bring with you some decor that you love from your place to make you future apartment your home. I brought a small mirror, a knob decor, and a picture frame with my grandmothers. That alone helped me feel more at home. 

On 7/4/2019 at 8:04 PM, AP said:

This was me six years ago! 

I think two suitcases is enough, but you have to be prepared to get rid of your stuff. I sold a lot of things before moving, left some things with friends. 

Here's what I did:

* Packed the clothing that I really liked, that I knew I'd be using for the next few months.

* Took only a couple of books and left the rest with friends/family. On every trip back, I took one or two books. For most, I realized I didn't need them. 

* Left some clothing I couldn't take the first time with an aunt and then she brought it when she visited (like cocktail dresses and high-heel shoes).

Now, this is my biggest piece of advice: You will be coming to a new country, a new program, a new everything. Bring with you some decor that you love from your place to make you future apartment your home. I brought a small mirror, a knob decor, and a picture frame with my grandmothers. That alone helped me feel more at home. 

Thanks for this good advice :)

• 6 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 4:19 AM, Rachel Watts said:

You probably need some Marie Kondo in your life haha. Then even two suitcases will be extra. But I agree, don’t bring the books, let it be the fresh start.

Konmari is legit. I also vacuum sealed all my stuff (ziplock works just as well) so it'd all fit in one suitcase.

They're are also some companies that offer flat rate pricing for a given box dimension. In Canada, they have country wide options with Canada Post.

Best of luck!