Requests for Mentorships and Scholarship/Programs Advice

Adelaide9216

Hello everyone,

I keep getting dozens of requests per week of people who want me to mentor them, to give them advice on graduate school or to provide help with their scholarship application. I feel exhausted simply by taking a look at my inbox. I have been ignoring most of the messages for now because I have zero time and energy right now. Is there a better way to handle this? Maybe starting a blog?

Establishing a website with a blog and a supportive and diverse group of graduate students and young scholars is the first idea that pops into my head. This would require a lot of upfront work, but gives you the opportunity to spread the workload and get different opinions on specific questions and worries.

You are under no obligation to spend your time mentoring these people. I'm sure they're eager and respectful about their requests and I'm sure they would learn from what you can teach them, but that does not mean you need to sacrifice your time for them.

I don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk, but don't be afraid to say no if you feel like you have to. You have a lot going on. Prioritize yourself.

8 hours ago, Bird Vision said:

You are under no obligation to spend your time mentoring these people. I'm sure they're eager and respectful about their requests and I'm sure they would learn from what you can teach them, but that does not mean you need to sacrifice your time for them.

I don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk, but don't be afraid to say no if you feel like you have to. You have a lot going on. Prioritize yourself.

This.