Post M.Div - MTS

JDD

For personal reasons, I won’t be able to pursue a PhD after completing my M.Div for at least 3 years. During that time, I would like to do everything possible to improve my chances of being admitted to a TT PhD program. I am wondering if an MTS from a place like Harvard is worth completing.

Looking at recently admitted NT PhD students to TT programs, I realize a second M* degree is becoming somewhat normal - if not expected. 

So the question is, if I were admitted to HDS MTS with reasonable financial aid, would it the best use of my time in the intervening 3 years before I could apply to PhD programs?

Note: I single out Harvard solely because I will likely be in Boston during the 3 years, but  if I were somewhere else with a MTS, the question remains the same

Personally, I think MTS degrees are a waste of time if you didn't also get your MDiv there. Now, that holds true for students applying to PhD programs mid-MTS and wanting to bench on a MTS recommendation. They're going to be superficial letters and your reader is going to see that you've known them for all of a semester.

Aid for MTS degrees tends to be lackluster b/c schools know that students doing it are pursuing PhD apps. It's like doing one of the many master's degrees at Chicago. They don't have any real incentives to offer you aid, they know you're desperate and you're willing to pay for it.

If you're going to be in the area for three years though, you could make it work for you. Harvard and Yale both have procedures to extend the MTS an additional year. If you did that or found a way to stay in a prof's mind, it could work. If you can afford it, I'd pick 1-2 profs that you really need LORs from and maybe try to audit/credit a course(s) from them during years 2&3.

A second option is to hit up all the universities in the Boston/BTI area and just do another funded multiyear M*

@xypathos

Thanks, as always. I guess I’m just trying to make the best of a weird situation. Adding a second degree appears to be common - perhaps due to some being declined to a PhD program on their first round of applications.

If not the MTS, what other degree might be useful? I’m primarily interested in a NT/Early Christianity PhD.

Ive know people who've done M.Div. + MTS successfully, so its definitely an option. They went to different schools for the different degrees in the cases I'm thinking of. The main other option is a one year STM/ThM, which is not a good idea imo unless you do it at same school where you did primary M*

Some good recs above. Funding aside, your best option would be an MA in Classics et sim., given your area of interest. I assume that is out of the question, since most folks in your situation don't have the level of Greek and especially Latin required to enroll in those programs. If you do though, Tufts has a well-respected MA in Classics and I believe it has good-ish funding? BC used to have an MA in Greek (classical), which may allow you to come in without any/much Latin (no clue on funding). An MTS after the MDiv is not so out of the ordinary, as you note, but just make sure the MTS allows you to opt out of most/all of the fluff (e.g. you don't need to be taking required, intro to bible). Languages are of course the biggest hurdle for PhD entry in your field (and thus my rec for a Classics MA); so again, make sure the MTS program will allow you to take (many) language courses. As others said, don't waste your time with the ThM (zero funding and only a year).

• 5 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 12:55 PM, xypathos said:

Personally, I think MTS degrees are a waste of time if you didn't also get your MDiv there. Now, that holds true for students applying to PhD programs mid-MTS and wanting to bench on a MTS recommendation. They're going to be superficial letters and your reader is going to see that you've known them for all of a semester.

Aid for MTS degrees tends to be lackluster b/c schools know that students doing it are pursuing PhD apps. It's like doing one of the many master's degrees at Chicago. They don't have any real incentives to offer you aid, they know you're desperate and you're willing to pay for it.

If you're going to be in the area for three years though, you could make it work for you. Harvard and Yale both have procedures to extend the MTS an additional year. If you did that or found a way to stay in a prof's mind, it could work. If you can afford it, I'd pick 1-2 profs that you really need LORs from and maybe try to audit/credit a course(s) from them during years 2&3.

A second option is to hit up all the universities in the Boston/BTI area and just do another funded multiyear M*

I respectfully disagree with your view. HDS is a great option for the OP.

HDS has generous funding and many people get 75%-100% tuition funding and a few students get stipends on top of that. 

Also, the OP can get to know a professor over four semesters, especially based on the fact that the OP will apply well after completing the masters. Further, if the OP is in Boston, he/she can continue to audit courses as an alum. 

I did my MTS at HDS and then spent a year auditing various courses. The MTS opens all sorts of doors. 

Just my experience and opinion...

As for what to do after graduating, I think auditing courses is a good idea but most important, I think, is language study.

Edited by Averroes MD

On 2/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, Averroes MD said:

I respectfully disagree with your view. HDS is a great option for the OP.

HDS has generous funding and many people get 75%-100% tuition funding and a few students get stipends on top of that. 

Also, the OP can get to know a professor over four semesters, especially based on the fact that the OP will apply well after completing the masters. Further, if the OP is in Boston, he/she can continue to audit courses as an alum. 

I did my MTS at HDS and then spent a year auditing various courses. The MTS opens all sorts of doors. 

Just my experience and opinion...

As for what to do after graduating, I think auditing courses is a good idea but most important, I think, is language study.

I was referencing one year post-M.Div degrees. Sorry, I should've been more clear about that! They're cash cows for the university and don't provide enough time to be of much benefit for most students.