Hi guys!! 

So I have a question about specialities in SLP. Let's say there's a specific area in Speech you wish to focus on in grad school, like voice disorders, are there grad programs that offer more specialized courses? Or is it all general? 

Thank you in advance!

On 8/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, lily_slp said:

Hi guys!! 

So I have a question about specialities in SLP. Let's say there's a specific area in Speech you wish to focus on in grad school, like voice disorders, are there grad programs that offer more specialized courses? Or is it all general? 

Thank you in advance!

You will need to get the same degree (MS or MA) regardless of whether you are interested in a specialty. That being said, you may look into programs that place more emphasis on one aspect of speech which you're interested in. For example, my program offers elective courses and opportunities in voice beyond those that are required. If you are interested in working with a specific population, you can definitely apply to schools which have more courses or practicums in that area.  

As mentioned above, you will still need to take all the general classes above. However, when you're looking into the schools you apply to, look at what the professors' specialties and their research projects, that influences the way they teach the course and the opportunities there may be in specialty clinics. And when you write your personal statement, mention your interests and why you would be a great student in their program because of those specific interests, mention a professor or two you would love to work with and why(their research projects, specialty clinics, etc.). I just started, but my first clinic is in a voice fluency clinic specializing in working with individuals who are transgender as well as individuals who stutter. Let me know if you have more questions :P 

I'll be starting at MGH Institute of Health Professions this fall. They offer 7 concentrations (including voice disorders). Each of the concentrations has its own specialized electives and dedicated practicum. I only applied to a few programs, but maybe others can share if there are similar options at other schools.