NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Hey folks,

I was hanging around here last year, and was planning on reapplying this year. I recall that there are example NDSEG essays from before last year, but that the prompt changed last year. Has anybody contributed their essays to a new bank of successful application examples? Such examples would be useful, since unlike NSF, NDSEG didn't give feedback.

21 hours ago, ehh said:

For those current fellows, has anyone gotten paid yet for this month? I've gotten nothing, and I'm not sure if I should wait until the 10th, or if its because my program doesn't start until later this month. 

Ironically I just hopped on here to see if anyone had the same question, I haven't been paid yet either.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:49 PM, ampolloreno said:

Hey folks,

I was hanging around here last year, and was planning on reapplying this year. I recall that there are example NDSEG essays from before last year, but that the prompt changed last year. Has anybody contributed their essays to a new bank of successful application examples? Such examples would be useful, since unlike NSF, NDSEG didn't give feedback.

If you check further back in the thread I posted a link to a google drive folder where a few of the successful applicants posted their letters and proposals. Unfortunately not as many people submitted as I hoped, but we have a few..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

There aren't many external resources to help those applying to the ndseg- especially those in biology who may not have any peers applying (like me)- so I wrote a blog post with some advice that I hope will be helpful to those applying. It has general tips applicable to all fellowships and then also specific tips relevant to the ndseg only. I also provide a general writing structure that was used by me and other successful awardees.

https://fishandfreckles.com/ndseg

Hope it helps and if any previous winners want to add any feedback to the post feel free to contact me via email.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I hope everyone successfully got their applications in yesterday for the 2020-2021 class! I was wondering if any current fellows could answer some questions.

If you are selected as an awardee, do you have any obligations to complete your proposed research? I have heard that you do not but can't find this in writing anywhere. 

If you do have to complete your proposed work, do you have specific timelines for deliverables? Are you closely involved with your DoD funding agency?

Thanks in advance for any input!

• 11 months later...

Hi all!

I am trying my hand at applying to the NDSEG this year. Unfortunately, there are not many people I know who feel confident reviewing my application materials for the NDSEG and I was wondering if any past recipients would be open to reviewing application materials. DM me if you are interested and willing! I appreciate any help!