NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Looking at the spreadsheet, it looks like there are a ton of waitlisted people (myself included). If the spreadsheet is representative and all 4/16 and 4/17 updates represent all the accepted and waitlisted people, 25% of applicants were waitlisted or accepted. If the acceptance rate is about 5% as expected, this means there are 4x as many waitlistees as acceptances. I think a waitlist is more like a fancy rejection than anything--the chances you get off the waitlist seem pretty low. 

Long time lurker, thanks so much gang. This has been an incredible thread to keep up with the last few days. Seriously, you're the only reason I've been keeping sane amidst the whole quarantine thing on top of delays. Alas, I too was a humble December gang who did not make the cut but c'est la vie. Honestly, I thank everyone for posting their information on the google doc, it really helped me not focus too much on the imposer syndrome. Congrats to all selected and keep at it #decembergang. In my mind, you're the real winners. 

Any idea what they mean by this? Just a standard sentence, or are they changing the qualifications for applications? I was under the impression after second year you were unable to apply anymore. 

Capture.PNG

8 minutes ago, hopefulstudent1997 said:

Looking at the spreadsheet, it looks like there are a ton of waitlisted people (myself included). If the spreadsheet is representative and all 4/16 and 4/17 updates represent all the accepted and waitlisted people, 25% of applicants were waitlisted or accepted. If the acceptance rate is about 5% as expected, this means there are 4x as many waitlistees as acceptances. I think a waitlist is more like a fancy rejection than anything--the chances you get off the waitlist seem pretty low. 

To make you feel more hopeful if you are waitlisted, I'm guessing that the numbers are currently skewed, as I think a person who received the award/waitlisted is more likely to update the spreadsheet than someone who didn't.  Also, there is some selection bias with the people part of this thread caring more about their applications and probably being more viable candidates than most.  Nonetheless, I don't know the past rate at which alternates are given the award, so it's all up in the air.

I was encouraged to reapply next year, as well when I’m a second year PhD so I asked for more clarification. Also, did anyone get info how far along the process they got? I know in past years, they specified the stage of the applicant.

1 minute ago, chem_e_156 said:

To make you feel more hopeful if you are waitlisted, I'm guessing that the numbers are currently skewed, as I think a person who received the award/waitlisted is more likely to update the spreadsheet than someone who didn't.  Also, there is some selection bias with the people part of this thread caring more about their applications and probably being more viable candidates than most.  Nonetheless, I don't know the past rate at which alternates are given the award, so it's all up in the air.

I'm just going to assume that I didn't get it, otherwise I'll spend some indeterminate amount of time going through the stress of waiting all over again, and I don't know if I can handle it.

Did anyone else with a 4/17 update get flat out rejected? Looking through the spreadsheet, it looks like nearly all those with (pre-results) 4/17 updates either got waitlisted or awarded. Being the only outlier I currently see, I'm a bit confused/anxious!

9 minutes ago, Reverie_39 said:

I'll relay the selection email info whenever I do receive it (still crossing my fingers until it comes!)

It sounds like no acceptance emails have gone out? Only rejection emails? That seems odd. Has anyone who was selected gotten an email?

6 minutes ago, robertac93 said:

It sounds like no acceptance emails have gone out? Only rejection emails? That seems odd. Has anyone who was selected gotten an email?

I feel like they are doing it in batches, and it does seem that the rejections are going out first. As you saw above, looks like everyone will get an email today though.