NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

5 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

It would be super helpful if everyone sorts their statements in the drive into the selected/not-selected folders. Get to try again next year!

I moved it but then i couldn't see it so I just added _successful at the end for now.

4 minutes ago, helloFromLongTimeLurker said:

Congratulations everyone who got it!  Has anyone gotten emails yet?  Thought Rob said that's how decisions were going to be released, but just want to see if they're telling us what stage of the review process we made it to again like previous years.

No email yet.

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker who checked this forum religiously for the last several days. My application status has updated to Selected and I'm shocked. Do we have any reason to believe that this isn't true? I haven't received an email or anything. Not sure if others have gotten any correspondence. 

Congratulations to everyone else and thank you all for providing a great community during this crazy time. 

Just now, Reverie_39 said:

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker who checked this forum religiously for the last several days. My application status has updated to Selected and I'm shocked. Do we have any reason to believe that this isn't true? I haven't received an email or anything. Not sure if others have gotten any correspondence. 

Congratulations to everyone else and thank you all for providing a great community during this crazy time. 

No reason to not believe it.  They'll probably get the emails out soon.  Well done!

Selected. It looks like everyone on this thread was crazy qualified and I have no idea how the DoD could even start to differentiate. If you didn't get it this year my best advice would be to not beat yourself up and try again.  I realize that's easy for someone in my position to say, but I like to think being someone who took 4 years off between MS and PhD I have some perspective of things not going as planned.  In the past I missed getting into the MS program of my dreams and feeling completely devastated. The same year I also missed NFS - not even an honorable mention. I ended up going to a different school for my MS, taking some time off, etc. and looking back now I can honestly I don't regret any of those decisions. My point is just that it's hard to predict what any of this means and I'm sure a lot of the people who didn't get it this year are going to have tons of success regardless. Hopefully there is some overlap between NSF and NDSEG winners so some of the waitlisted folks get the award. Also looking at the spreadsheet it seems that there were only only two applicants in my BAA (who filled out the spreadsheet anyway) so my guess would be that helped my chances quite a bit.

Just now, chem_e_156 said:

Wait list ? hopefully they the decision making is quick so that I can make decisions about NSF

It's probably a cycle - people making decisions about NSF is probably what drives the NDSEG waitlist most strongly, and the NDSEG probably affects HM promotion to fellowships for the NSF to some extent.

11 minutes ago, somethingsimple said:

And it looks like the dates did mean something, specifically that you moved forward to a later round of selections. Waitlist and selected people got updates on 4/16 or 4/17. 

Mine said 4/7 until the very moment it changed to Selected, and now it says 4/17. I'm not sure what the deal was there.