NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, Eman2 said:

People on a wait list, does it note this status on the application site? Mine says 'not selected' which I assume means I'm not on the wait list, although I haven't received my email yet

I believe another commenter posted a screenshot with an Application Status that specifically said Wait List. 

YYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!! I was 4/17 and selected!!!!  Thanks to everyone in the chat it was very entertaining and kept me from doing anything else besides hitting refresh the past few days.  To those who didn't get it best of luck in the future.  There were obviously many qualified people on the google doc who had higher GRE and GPAs that did not get it.  My advice is keep working hard and it will eventually work out.  I was rejected my first round of grad school and got into a master's by a fluke at the last second, two years later I got into the grad school I was rejected from.  I applied to multiple fellowships along the way and never got any until now.  Ahhhhh   I am super excited, I've been TAing for the last 4 years (2 in masters and 2 in PhD) so this was a huge relief especially since my adviser emailed me yesterday saying that he didn't have the money and I would have to TA another year.

image.png.8b844a8586330e123f5cd9837c8972aa.png

So uhm not related to NDSEG, is anyone from Virginia Tech. My PI informed us last month she is moving there and I guess I’m going with my research. Would be super cool to know someone before I come down and have the connection of this stressful experience ?

3 hours ago, NDSEG_throwaway said:

And for them to shove off and gaslight us with "Noooooo the date's totally don't mean anything at all ever" I mean come on!

I thought about this more. Not only did they deny the dates meaning anything, but we made them aware of a major flaw in their system and they chose to do nothing about it. 

4 hours ago, Reverie_39 said:

Someone who's better than me at spreadsheets should start compiling the award data against dates, branches, etc. whenever they get the chance

image.png.5cfa0a09420112a76d8e54f892297920.png

All 'Yes' and 'Waitlist' had an update on 4/16 or 4/17 except for one waitlisted person who did not report any updates beyond 4/3, although I would guess they just didn't update the date in the spreadsheet.

A majority of those with 'No' had last updates in December or February, but 4 people had updates in early April.

Edit: For the 'Yes' folks, almost all of them had an update in early April (4/3, 4/6, 4/7), although one person had a last reported update in February prior to a 4/16 or 4/17 update.

Edited by robertac93

10 hours ago, robertac93 said:

image.png.5cfa0a09420112a76d8e54f892297920.png

All 'Yes' and 'Waitlist' had an update on 4/16 or 4/17 except for one waitlisted person who did not report any updates beyond 4/3, although I would guess they just didn't update the date in the spreadsheet.

A majority of those with 'No' had last updates in December or February, but 4 people had updates in early April.

Edit: For the 'Yes' folks, almost all of them had an update in early April (4/3, 4/6, 4/7), although one person had a last reported update in February prior to a 4/16 or 4/17 update.

Thanks for putting it together. The 11% selection rate for us is interesting because it's like double the overall rate, right? Guess there's significant bias in who would follow this forum and put their info down on that doc. Also noteworthy is the higher rate of ONR selections. Wonder if that's just a fluke from its very small sample size compared to the other branches here.

4 hours ago, Reverie_39 said:

Thanks for putting it together. The 11% selection rate for us is interesting because it's like double the overall rate, right? Guess there's significant bias in who would follow this forum and put their info down on that doc. Also noteworthy is the higher rate of ONR selections. Wonder if that's just a fluke from its very small sample size compared to the other branches here.

The award email said that there were 4167 applicants this year.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:57 PM, icerm4 said:

For those of you who didn't get it (I did not), we should take solace in the fact that Trump's wall directly siphoned funds from DOD related grants! (and also the NDSEG)

Nah. The competition was stiff. And we could have done better. Let's not play the blame game. Let's be like those anime characters who show humility at defeat, and train harder every day for the next fellowship (NDSEG or otherwise). That's the DecemberGang way

Edited by BCHGang

On 4/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, BCHGang said:

Nah. The competition was stiff. And we could have done better. Let's not play the blame game. Let's be like those anime characters who show humility at defeat, and train harder every day for the next fellowship (NDSEG or otherwise). That's the DecemberGang way

They're also expanding this, I think. If you look on the Sysplus site's description, it says up to 500 fellowships. I don't think that was in place for this year because it definitely said 200 when we all applied. 

On 4/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, thelastlurker said:

My guess is that we will find out on Friday. They'll know who accepted on Wednesday and then they will go through and pick from the wait list. But that's just my guess it could be mid May for all I know.

I think you're right but I assume there will be multiple rounds of waitlist offers because not everyone initially offered a spot of the waitlist is guaranteed to accept