NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, vpaglioni3 said:

I don't think we'll be able to say definitively that a DoD connection helps directly or not. However, there are indirect benefits to having worked in/around the DoD space prior to applying. You get to know the language they use, what they like to see in reports, how to structure your report for maximum impact, etc. Tangential benefits that can maybe get you over the finish line, but won't run the race for you.

Care to elaborate or share some examples?

8 minutes ago, robertac93 said:

I was thinking of that just this morning actually. I might create a request-able google drive folder for folks to share their personal essay and proposal.

Well LMK if you do. I'll contribute my stuff.

Just now, GoldenDog said:

Care to elaborate or share some examples?

My adviser worked for a DoD lab, and I had DoD production-level experience, so we were able to use specific DoD language (i.e. 'objective' over 'goal', 'task' over 'step', little things like that), add in some informative graphics (quad charts & Gantt charts run the DoD in some areas), structure the essay sections to flow like the DoD would expect (no examples off the top of my head)

like I said, the best it would get you is a tiebreaker, but it's something

3 minutes ago, vpaglioni3 said:

My adviser worked for a DoD lab, and I had DoD production-level experience, so we were able to use specific DoD language (i.e. 'objective' over 'goal', 'task' over 'step', little things like that), add in some informative graphics (quad charts & Gantt charts run the DoD in some areas), structure the essay sections to flow like the DoD would expect (no examples off the top of my head)

This. My advisor and I are in the exact same boat.

Just now, 3st3rb said:

This. My advisor and I are in the exact same boat.

It was definitely helpful to have the insight, and I feel like it really polished the final product. But it will never cover up a bad/irrelevant project.

Edited by vpaglioni3

10 minutes ago, vpaglioni3 said:

Is there anythnig worth reading on this? I don't totally follow.

3 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

Is there anythnig worth reading on this? I don't totally follow.

Nothing that would make a significant difference, but once you're around the DoD space for a bit, you start to pick up on specific language and formatting that is used in presentations/documents/etc. For instance, a lot of DoD management like to see charts & visuals, even in shorter documents - that's not necessarily the case elsewhere, where people may think you're just 'padding' your document length. I don't think I can explain it much better, it's just stylistic choices that are prevalent around the DoD that don't necessarily show up elsewhere. 

Just now, vpaglioni3 said:

Nothing that would make a significant difference, but once you're around the DoD space for a bit, you start to pick up on specific language and formatting that is used in presentations/documents/etc. For instance, a lot of DoD management like to see charts & visuals, even in shorter documents - that's not necessarily the case elsewhere, where people may think you're just 'padding' your document length. I don't think I can explain it much better, it's just stylistic choices that are prevalent around the DoD that don't necessarily show up elsewhere. 

Sure; can you elaborate on goal versus objective?

3 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

Sure; can you elaborate on goal versus objective?

This was a point of contention for me the first time I saw it, in my last performance review before I quit to attend grad school. I can't even remember which one is used now. They mean the SAME THING, right? I think all of us can agree that there is at most a minuscule difference in what they mean. But for some reason, the DoD changed their performance review structure to rename one to the other. Literally no reason I can see other than a style change. 

Edit: I understand how unhelpful this is, and I'm really sorry. I can't really think of a better way to explain my thoughts, but suffice to say that the benefits afforded to those of us with prior DoD experience, with respect to writing the essay/report/application, are mostly tangential and will likely not make a huge difference. 

Edited by vpaglioni3

7 minutes ago, vpaglioni3 said:

Thanks for leading the charge! 

The postdocs have done most of the hard work. I'm just coming in to help them out any way I can now that we have so many people requesting research on the virus. They are swamped. Thank you though :) 

Edited by E1virologirl