NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

45 minutes ago, OhTheStress said:

Poor Rob.  I really do think he deserves a huge round of applause and some kind of thank-you gift for putting up with our crap and the DoD's crap.

Does anyone still have fax machines anymore?  My old job had one and the only thing it was ever used for was getting fax spam (which is apparently a thing).

You're not wrong, but at the same time he should have known better than to confidently state that everything would be done by the 15th. That is totally on him, regardless of the DOD.

2 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

You're not wrong, but at the same time he should have known better than to confidently state that everything would be done by the 15th. That is totally on him, regardless of the DOD.

He's doing the best he can with the information he's given. Hindsight 20/20. There's no one individual at fault, and no matter how anxious we feel, the people on the other side are almost certainly more stressed trying to get the decisions out asap.

9 minutes ago, decembergang2020 said:

He's doing the best he can with the information he's given. Hindsight 20/20. There's no one individual at fault, and no matter how anxious we feel, the people on the other side are almost certainly more stressed trying to get the decisions out asap.

Eh. I think that one thing I've learned in graduate school so far is that speculation and unwarranted assumptions primarily lead to regret above all else. Unless there was something significant that changed, I'd still say he could have avoided making such statements. There is a reason that you see a lot of administrators hedge when asked questions. 

While I respect the difficult job that Rob and the rest of the NDSEG staff have, I would rather them say "We hope to get this out by Monday" and then release it today, than to keep saying "We are shooting for the end of the day today" 3 days in a row.

The hopeful side of me says my 4/6 update could still be a good thing. The realistic side of me sees that almost every 4/17 update was a 4/16 update, and they're probably just updating the applications of awardees or honorable mentions / alternates.

I can't wait for us to update that sheet with results and finally know for sure if they meant anything or not

Edit: and also get the results too lol but I'm not feeling very optimistic after seeing how qualified this group is

Edited by FormerNdsegLurker

Just now, FormerNdsegLurker said:

I can't wait for us to update that sheet with results and finally know for sure if they meant anything or not

Edit: and also get the results too lol but I'm not feeling very optimistic after seeing how qualified this group is

Honestly same. I'm just in this thread because coronavirus is debilitatingly isolating. Thanks for making me not feel like the most neurotic grad student ever. ~December Gang~

5 minutes ago, helloFromLongTimeLurker said:

Can we add a column for "No update since submission"?  There are several of us who've said something in this forum and I'm super curious to see if our apps actually didn't make it into review.

Yeah live your dream.

30 minutes ago, alcoholistic said:

While I respect the difficult job that Rob and the rest of the NDSEG staff have, I would rather them say "We hope to get this out by Monday" and then release it today, than to keep saying "We are shooting for the end of the day today" 3 days in a row.

Yes, exactly my point. He could easily have even just gone with "I'm not sure when this will be sorted out" since the beginning of this month. 

2 minutes ago, helloFromLongTimeLurker said:

Can we add a column for "No update since submission"?  There are several of us who've said something in this forum and I'm super curious to see if our apps actually didn't make it into review.

The December column originally had individual dates but someone overwrote it with "x" as in order to make tallying easier. But I liked the dates system because it showed the difference between people with late december updates and people with no update since submitting.

4 minutes ago, cellbiogal said:

The December column originally had individual dates but someone overwrote it with "x" as in order to make tallying easier. But I liked the dates system because it showed the difference between people with late december updates and people with no update since submitting.

When we all get our results and update we can go in and also add in our dates back in again?

Just looked at the worksheet.  If they are using GPA/GRE to select 1st round picks, they must set the bar really high.  

Also,  for those of you that win NDSEG and NSF, can I whichever one you don't want?  I think that is going to be the only way I get the monies... :(

Edited by Sir Lurks-a-lot
Cause

Just a reminder if anyone wants to stay in touch later, I've been putting together a DecemberGang Discord and mailing list.

Mailing List Sign Up:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScW1QMgC54-kKcDQTijF_bSXQi10qwr8VZHqHR3J62FRYQHew/viewform?usp=sf_link

Mailing List Emails (Request Access to protect emails):https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zKWURsJSQHNsJ2ckWMs_ehpwo6Ucp20AiUCYaz5eDGI/edit?usp=sharing 

Discord: https://discord.gg/EYXGZF

8 minutes ago, Sir Lurks-a-lot said:

Just looked at the worksheet.  If they are using GPA/GRE to select 1st round picks, they must set the bar really high.  

Also,  for those of you that win NDSEG and NSF, can I whichever one you don't want?  I think that is going to be the only way I get the monies... :(

Idk keep hope! I got a NSF HM and I'll have you know my UG/Grad GPAs are going to be outliers on that table if and when I add them.

Just now, 3st3rb said:

Idk keep hope! I got a NSF HM and I'll have you know my UG/Grad GPAs are going to be outliers on that table if and when I add them.

This very much. We are all awesome dedicated researchers. No fellowship/ single metric is a sign of your worth as a researcher. We just are all hoping for some lottery results to come out! Which is not to discount anyone's achievement by receiving a prestigious fellowship. Just to remind people to take a deep breath (hopefully indoors and safe from COVID)