NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, vpaglioni3 said:

the size of ~December Gang~ makes it seem like this may not necessarily be the case. 

To me the size of December and February gang actually is in line with this theory. Slide 36 of the oft-cited http://www.oasdre-hbcumiworkshop.com/2019_presentations/07-Wisecarver_Robinson_HBCU_Workshop_with_AFOSR_overview.pdf notes that 30% of the top candidates move on to the DoD for selection. Right now about 66% of people in our spreadsheet have December thru February last updates, which is in line with the idea that anyone with an April update was being evaluated by the DoD. 

10 minutes ago, hopefulstudent1997 said:

To me the size of December and February gang actually is in line with this theory. Slide 36 of the oft-cited http://www.oasdre-hbcumiworkshop.com/2019_presentations/07-Wisecarver_Robinson_HBCU_Workshop_with_AFOSR_overview.pdf notes that 30% of the top candidates move on to the DoD for selection. Right now about 66% of people in our spreadsheet have December thru February last updates, which is in line with the idea that anyone with an April update was being evaluated by the DoD. 

I think the initial panel screen only went until 1/31 according to the panel tab on the NDSEG website so I'm not sure why people would get an update in late February if they weren't considered. Additionally the panel started reviewing applications after 12/15 so it doesn't make sense for people who have updates at the beginning of December (or Oct) unless there was something missing from their application or if they really did exclude people who didn't follow their instructions to a T (uploading a word document instead of PDF or with the wrong file name).

Also, in reference to the person talking about being excluded early from BAAs not having funding - my understanding from everything I have read and from a friend who also applied who asked the PMO several questions when applying, you aren't applying to the BAA, they just use that to make sure you are doing something of interest to them. so the pot of money for the BAA and NDSEG isn't the same. My guess is the agencies get even split of the money based on the number of applicants that apply to each branch.

Edited by somethingsimple

17 minutes ago, pchemp said:

I'm 12/5. It's interesting how some people have their last update around 12/20-23. while some like us have our last updates before the due date. If the dates meant selection rounds, then it makes sense that there'd be an initial cutoff for GPA screening and such. But what does it mean for us? Did we just screw up our applications somehow and we didn't even make it to an initial round? Were our BAAs/disciplines just not up for funding? It's a mystery. 

We already had this discussion in the previous pages of the thread. Some people have really high GPAs and really high GRE score. And they had only a December update. Also, the entire application process is a complete black box. You could get rejected or turned down for the dumbest reasons: like the transcript that is to be submitted is a *scan of the official transcript*. Not an unofficial transcript. Or ARO is running late in reviewing proposals, more so due to COVID.

Edited by BCHGang

1 minute ago, ndseg_to_1000 said:

I think in addition to GPA and GRE for the first round they probably also look at formatting. so even if you have high scores its possible to get cut for wrong formatting (not pdfs, over page limits, etc)

As much as it sucks, these things are probably a very easy way to cull the group down almost immediately

Just now, Physicsisphysics said:

Bad news y'all. I emailed Ellen Robinson, who manages the NDSEG, and she said decisions will be released tomorrow...

You got a response? i emailed and heard nothing.

Just now, OhTheStress said:

What?  Systems Plus having IT issues?  You mean the same company that has unsecured source code on their website and managed to accidentally wipe one of their servers for the SFFP program?  Surely you jest.

Only the best of quality from the lowest bidder

Out of curiosity, I emailed Rob Ross and Thomas Martinson 45 minutes ago and just received this response: 

As of right now, the Department of Defense is hoping to release the results today as they finish them up, but they may not get them out until tomorrow. All applicants will receive notification of their selection status as soon as possible after the decisions are released to us.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us here any time at NDSEG.PMO@sysplus.com, or give us a call at (301) 948-4232 between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:30 PM Eastern time Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. Be sure to request a call back and leave a phone number at which you can reliably be reached.

Thank you.

--
Rob Ross
Project Manager
Systems Plus, Inc
Main – 301-948-4232
robert.ross@sysplus.com
www.sysplus.com

41 minutes ago, pchemp said:

I'm 12/5. It's interesting how some people have their last update around 12/20-23. while some like us have our last updates before the due date. If the dates meant selection rounds, then it makes sense that there'd be an initial cutoff for GPA screening and such. But what does it mean for us? Did we just screw up our applications somehow and we didn't even make it to an initial round? Were our BAAs/disciplines just not up for funding? It's a mystery. 

I called the P.O. to verify that my application was reviewed and he confirmed over the email and phone that it was, so I would assume it's not that we didn't make the initial round.