NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, 3st3rb said:

Unless you can count hopefulstudent1997 listed as EE but under the BAA for computing sciences

For sure, but I'm going by the discipline alone. All of us have different BAA titles within computer and computational sciences 

Just now, whatdothedatesmean said:

Honestly somebody should email Rob again, and play dumb. See if he says they’re gonna release results soon.

Let's try not to bother Rob more than we have to. Someone already quoted him saying it'll be today or tomorrow.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people with April updates ended up getting offers/alternates considering that 61/131 of the entries on the sheet have already won some sort of external fellowship/HM.

3 minutes ago, 3st3rb said:

Unless you can count hopefulstudent1997 listed as EE but under the BAA for computing sciences

I don't remember where I read this, some other forum from past years I think, but I saw someone applied for one branch/BAA then got handed to another branch/BAA for consideration. So it's possible they're not being evaluated by the same branch they applied for. But my memory is not 100% on this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by cellbiogal

3 minutes ago, ScienceGeek said:

For sure, but I'm going by the discipline alone. All of us have different BAA titles within computer and computational sciences 

Fair. They do admit based on proportion on how many people submitted to the discipline in total. Most of the ARO year in review reports say that anyway. Example.image.thumb.png.9850704e24a18f939715059a8a1117d2.png

1 minute ago, thel said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people with April updates ended up getting offers/alternates considering that 61/131 of the entries on the sheet have already won some sort of external fellowship/HM.

One thing I noticed from previous years is that alternates have a pretty fair chance of receiving the award since a lot of awardees decline in favor of NSF. 

Edited by cellbiogal

Just now, Sir Lurks-a-lot said:

Do most of the major fellowships give out a second round of awards to fill the few spots that were taken by people that turned them down?

All of the ones I know of have some sort of mechanism like this (mostly because people who are competitve for one fellowship are also competitive for others)

Just now, cellbiogal said:

One thing I noticed from previous years is that alternates have a pretty fair chance of receiving the award since a lot of awardees decline in favor of NSF. 

And I imagine that will be worse this year because the DoD has pushed back so far (anyone know the deadline for accepting NSF?)

33 minutes ago, somethingsimple said:

I didn't apply to NSF so I have no idea what the process is - did they already have to accept or decline the award?

Deadline to accept/decline NSF is May 7.

13 minutes ago, thelastlurker said:

Long time lurker. Applied for ONR in EE and had a 2/28 and 4/16 update that I added to the google sheet. My best guess is the 4/16 update are the decisions being updated on each profile and that most of us will have a 4/16 update before the end of the day. 

I haven't seen anyone go from december to an april update.