NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, DecembeerGang4Lyfe said:

Long time lurker here, just adding yet another data point. Last update 12/20, Biosciences, ARO. Breaking open my last remaining corona and accepting that decisions are not coming out tonight (secretly hoping Im wrong).

# DECEMBER GANG GANG. ?

Twins! I'm also 12/20 ARO Biosciences

1 minute ago, throwawayndseg said:

So... where the fuck is the e-mail? 7pm latest my ass. What a train wreck of management

"lol what are you gonna do, pay your own way?" - SysPlus, probably

If it'll put some minds at ease, or at least add more data, I'm also AFRL and physics (specifically optics) and still December 24 last update. I'm in a kind of unique position cause I won some fellowships last year (including NSF...ended up applying to NDSEG due to weird NSF policies my department has and will have to forfeit NSF if I win NDSEG. I did disclose this to NDSEG.). I don't want to disclose too much cause of whatever internet privacy I have left haha, but I'd consider myself somewhat competitive. That doesn't mean much though cause a lot of people are competitive and NDSEG has very particular things it's looking for, or so it seems. 

Long time lurker that made an account because this thread is the only thing keeping me going right now. Another datapoint: also 12/24 update for AFRL in Physics(including optics). I don't consider myself competitive at all and am positive i'm in the ~Rejection Collection~. I wish sysplus would end my suffering lol.

~ December Gang ~

31 minutes ago, Stitch626 said:

Is anyone else becoming wary of accepting the fellowship if offered after this debacle? Don't get me wrong–I'd be honored to win, but I'd be hesitant to accept.

Well, not sure about this, but I'd be happy to accept on your behalf...

Just now, samplingbias said:

Another datapoint: I oscillate rapidly between thinking I totally deserve this fellowship to thinking I don't even know what is a Science and why did I even apply. 12/23.

~ December Gang ~

Rejection Collection: https://www.amazon.com/Rejection-Collection-Vol-Cream-Crap-ebook/dp/B000W3K2OE/

Don't doubt yourself. This fellowship doesn't define how good of a researcher you are! ~DecemberGang~

1 minute ago, samplingbias said:

Another datapoint: I oscillate rapidly between thinking I totally deserve this fellowship to thinking I don't even know what is a Science and why did I even apply. 12/23.

~ December Gang ~

Rejection Collection: https://www.amazon.com/Rejection-Collection-Vol-Cream-Crap-ebook/dp/B000W3K2OE/

If nothing else, it's a good learning experience. Learning about the grant writing process, trying to understand what the reviewers want, trying to figure out what's novel or new in your area of research. You probably do deserve the fellowship, and they may not have enough funding to give it to everyone who does deserve it.

16 minutes ago, NDS(adist)EG said:

Long time lurker that made an account because this thread is the only thing keeping me going right now. Another datapoint: also 12/24 update for AFRL in Physics(including optics). I don't consider myself competitive at all and am positive i'm in the ~Rejection Collection~. I wish sysplus would end my suffering lol.

~ December Gang ~

I felt competitive until I realized I uploaded word files instead of PDFs in my excitement ? So lets hope we are both pleasantly surprised and get the results we don't expect. If not you have someone willing to take rejection shots right along with you.

Edited by E1virologirl

Just a few reminders:
Join the Discord!

https://discord.gg/3mhepT

Join the December Gang Email List!
Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-Ed6oU9sJJS6IBzfJjrT7xscD6hAh9fO6s1BhRtTXOY/edit#responses

Responses (Request Access to Protect Emails) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zKWURsJSQHNsJ2ckWMs_ehpwo6Ucp20AiUCYaz5eDGI/edit?usp=sharing

I'm manually adding people so give me a couple minutes to add you if you request!

Finally decided to check my application. It's still at 12/22 for me. #DecemberGang

AFRL BAA: FA9550-19-S-0003, Plasma and Electro-Energetic Physics

4 minutes ago, E1virologirl said:

Anyone have any funny lab stories to share to kill the time? Or science memes?

I've managed to give a presentation that was so boring it made my co-advisor fall asleep. This has happened to me more than once.

3 minutes ago, petrPCB said:

I've managed to give a presentation that was so boring it made my co-advisor fall asleep. This has happened to me more than once.

I had to sit through potential-new-faculty seminars and there was not one that the chair of my department didn't look like he was falling asleep

9 minutes ago, E1virologirl said:

Anyone have any funny lab stories to share to kill the time? Or science memes?

The first time I met my PI, in a group meeting, I asked him if he was a grad student and that the staff/tech standing next to him was the PI. Never lived that down in the group.