NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

10 minutes ago, E1virologirl said:

Anyone have any funny lab stories to share to kill the time? Or science memes?

I made an account solely to assert my #Decembergang allegiance, but also to hopefully cheer someone up with this story: 

I was training new undergrads (in a lab that does soft material engineering, so we work with brains). The guy is nice, but not experienced at all with biosafety. So, I watch him touch the brain then the mouse of the computer. Internally, I am crying: but I try to be gentle and tell him that's a really serious thing to NOT do, and to sanitize everything. My boy then proceeded to clean off his GLOVES, but not the mouse he'd touched while we all stare at him as if an alien had descended into the lab. No ill will against him at all, I just love that story. 

2 minutes ago, NDS(adist)EG said:

The first time I met my PI, in a group meeting, I asked him if he was a grad student and that the staff/tech standing next to him was the PI. Never lived that down in the group.

There is no way you ever will.

Haha these are great! I feel like I can relate to so many of them!

When I was an undergrad I did not know I should throw the ice out when I leave the lab. I just thought people would use it. So the next day our shortest lab member went to grab the bucket and had freezing cold water come crashing on her head. I felt so bad when I heard and she was so mad that I avoided conversation and eye contact with her for a whole semester. She eventually forgave me and trained me on Western blot, so happy ending.

3 minutes ago, science&sarcasm said:

I made an account solely to assert my #Decembergang allegiance, but also to hopefully cheer someone up with this story: 

I was training new undergrads (in a lab that does soft material engineering, so we work with brains). The guy is nice, but not experienced at all with biosafety. So, I watch him touch the brain then the mouse of the computer. Internally, I am crying: but I try to be gentle and tell him that's a really serious thing to NOT do, and to sanitize everything. My boy then proceeded to clean off his GLOVES, but not the mouse he'd touched while we all stare at him as if an alien had descended into the lab. No ill will against him at all, I just love that story. 

Hahaha. This reminds me of the time I was teaching genetics lab and we have a strict no food or drink policy as most labs but you know ... undergrads. So we have one experiment where the students bring in substances to test them for mutagenicity. They are also counting salmonella plates this day. So I have a student that asks if he can use coffee as one of his test substances. I say "sure". The next time I turn around from the board he is DRINKING the coffee with the salmonella plates right next to the cup. I was speechless.

14 minutes ago, GIIC said:

I can handle about one more disappointment today?

Surprise! There's always room for more disappointment with Sys Plus ?Here's to results by midnight lol

3wuc01.jpg
Darn it Rob.

As someone who has his last updated on 12/5, it would be kind of aggravating if it meant my application wasn't even looked at. I know I'm not the only one with a last updated before the due date. Maybe I made a mistake or something with the app, or maybe the agency/BAA I picked wasn't interested at all in my discipline? Idk. 

28 minutes ago, GradNt said:

Pulling up the rear: it's close to 4 AM and still no email, so uh, I'm going to say they sailed past April 15 in any continental US timezone.

image.png.25d99cfe1dd18d30a7e9e1cb16946741.png

Did we break it or are things finally happening!!