Day 1 of PhD and already embarassing myself in lab

Hersheythepup

So I literally just started working in my first rotation today and let's just say it didn't go super well. I'm getting my PhD in microbiology and that's what I did my undergrad in, but I did mostly a loooottt of different types of microscopy and I didn't do much cell bio or genetics. I'm more interested by genetics for my potential thesis, but I don't have much experience actually doing these protocols. Today my rotation PI asked me to just do some PCR with this sequence I'm going to learn how to do illumina with but I've only done PCR like twice and neither time really went well. Needless to say, my amplification was not great and now I'm worried that my PI won't think I'm smart enough or good enough on the bench to be his long-term grad student. I know I can learn new techniques and I'm not worried about keeping up with the pace of lab things, but it's just horrifyingly embarassing to have to admit to your PI that you don't really know how to do something most 15 year olds can do. I don't want to disappoint them or ruin my reputation amongst the other PIs after just a few days, but I really feel like I'm below even the undergrads in his lab. 

I'm not really sure how to address this. I've spent a ton of hours trying to play catch up and learn as many of the basics that I missed out on in undergrad during my free time, but learning just from reading doesn't always translate well into lab. Any suggestions? I know the right answer is to just tell him I don't know these protocols well, but I don't want to expose myself as a dummy and end up making him not want to take me into his lab later on. ?

Edited by Hersheythepup

Your best bet is honesty. While techniques are important to know, what separates the grad student from a technician is the ability to think about your project and develop hypotheses/new ideas. Your PI most likely care much more about that than if you can successfully PCR without training. Be honest and ask for help. Maybe another student in the lab can show you how it’s done? 

Edit- I just wanted to add that if this makes a PI not want you in his/her lab, you don’t want that kind of PI anyway.

Edited by cephalexin

Hey, you are fine. Sometimes its a lot worst when you over think it. BUT you are in an academic setting, this is where you learn and explore. Your PI hopefully is understanding and just wanted to see what you are capable of. Sure you didn't get it how you wanted, maybe complete botch but be honest and let your PI know. You only grow from there!

Remember that everyone coming in has a different background. There's no shame in asking for help - definitely better to ask for help than to mess something up because you weren't sure. Things fail all the time in lab, what they'll care about is how you handle it. The PI will know that what matters more is how you handle yourself - new techniques are easy to teach, human behavior... not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Also seriously don't worry about being less comfortable than undergrads in the lab! I felt that way during my rotations as well, but then realized that it makes sense to feel that way because in some cases, an undergrad may have been in the lab for like 3 years already and it's your first day. Don't feel embarrassed to ask an undergrad (or anyone!) to help you out / show you the ropes.