Working as a lab manager, worried about getting my name on publications or posters, too busy with managerial tasks?

Alligator97

Hi everyone,

I started a lab manager position two months ago at my dream lab (developmental psych). The PI is doing research that really excites me, and I want to apply to labs in the same field for graduate school. However, I have a lot of anxiety that at the end of these two years, I will not have anything on my CV with the PI's name on it aside from the description of my job. I really would love to do my own research or at least be strongly involved in one specific project so that I could get my name on a poster or be authored. But there are currently 15 different studies going on, 4 graduate students and a new one starting soon, like 20 RAs, and just so much going on! I hardly get all my managerial/administrative/IRB/hiring tasks done by the end of the day, and it seems like everyone needs something from me every 10-15 minutes. I  am enjoying my job, I like being a leader, but I need to be doing research! I'm really no where closer to getting a poster or publication than I was when I graduated in May. 

Right now I am sort of under the impression that I won't have a chance at getting into grad school unless I have a publication. Or will working as a lab manager be good enough? I feel pretty confused as to how to navigate this situation. Was anyone a lab manager before grad school? How did you advocate for yourself?

Hello! I was in a very similar position before grad school. After learning how time consuming my administrative responsibilities would be, I was worried about having the time to do research. It ended up working out very well. In my experience, the skills you learn as a lab manager make you stand out during the application process. Most applicants can't speak to the everyday complexities of grant and IRB management. 

With this said, you are right that it is also important to get experience with research. Once you are confident in your performance with your primary job, you could initiate a conversation with your PI about your desire to get more involved with research. My PI was very supportive. It turned out that some of the previous lab managers in my lab had been the most productive researchers and ended up with more publications than the RAs. But every setting is different. If your PI does not like the idea of you juggling your job with research, then this might be more challenging. 

Nobody at interviews will ask you what percentage of time you spent on research, so as long as you have some research projects to discuss in your applications, you are golden. I always made sure I was working on one research project at a time. I often worked on research outside of work hours to ensure that I was making progress. I tried to make sure each project resulted in at least a poster. The importance of publications probably depends on how competitive the program is, but it's always a good goal. 

Hope that helps a little!

This is a valid concern, but no need to panic yet. You have two years. I would expect the first six months will be largely admin/managerial. You need to get the ground under you, learn all the systems, and then start to put your own systems in place which will allow you to be less hands-on day-to-day. As this happens, you will have more time for research and for getting involved in presentations/publications.

Does your lab have research meetings? Read the relevant papers, participate in discussions, offer your ideas.
Are you running participants yourself or talking with the RAs about running the participants? What do you notice? What can be improved about the procedure? Do you have any ideas for spin-off studies based on your experiences?
These are things that contribute to authorship--offering intellectual contributions. You will likely have opportunity to contribute in this way just by virtue of being there and being involved.

Lastly, I would sit down with your PI and write out a mentoring plan. Put together a reasonable timeline (with their help) for accomplishment in different categories (administrative, supervisory, knowledge of the field, research skills, outcomes--like presentations and publications). Come up with near and long term goals toward these areas. Articulate what kind of supports you will need to accomplish these things. Have the PI articulate what support they need from you in those categories to accomplish their goals.

After two years you will probably be in great shape. Don't lose faith and be an active participant in your own development. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I am in a very similar position. I am on my second year as a lab manager in a developmental psyc lab with three graduate students and 18 undergrads. 

I empathize with you in terms of feeling like research is impossible with your lab manager duties. That said I have gotten on a paper, have had a first-author poster at APS, first-author poster at ISDP, and second-author posters at ISDP, FLUX, and CDS. I've also mentored two undergraduate posters. I say this not to brag but show that it can be done.

I'm going to give you some tough love, so bear with me. This is a lesson I learned early in my position, and it sucked BUT, you're paid to run a lab not fill your resume. So doing your job duties has to come first and sometimes that might mean that research comes on your time off. It's not fun but I've sat at home until two in the morning making my posters after a full day of work. At the end of the day, if publications and posters are what you want then make it a professional AND personal priority! 

Also, I've found it extremely helpful to be upfront with your PI. Honesty is the best policy. Sit down with your PI and let him/her know that while you love running a lab, you would also love to be able to use these two years to learn and grow as a researcher while boosting your resume. Ask if you can use lab data, if there are any upcoming papers or projects you can help with, if he/she has any suggestions of conferences that might be good for you to attend.

Look into serving as a mentor as well. Undergrads are usually incredibly eager for opportunities and would love to present at an undergrad research day or regional conference. However, they usually need help. If you serve as a mentor and help and undergraduate or two, you can put your name on their poster. 

My last tip is to get close with your grad students. Grad students are constantly working on research and they are familiar with the application process. They can be a valuable resource. Start getting along with them, asking them questions, talking through their research with them, working with them and see what opportunities come up.