Reputed full-time Doctorate in Ed Leadership?

DecafDog

As an ed practitioner who has no interest in academia (and no patience for a PhD), I'm deeply intrigued by Doctorates in Education Leadership.However, for the life of me, I can't find any such programs to apply to, apart from the following three: 

- HGSE (500 candidates, and 25 admitted - yikes), 

- NYU Steinhardt (every alternate year only)

- U Penn (in hibernation for the past two years).

Are there any other in-person, full-time Ed LD that have a good reputation across the country? Maybe my Google-fu just isn't strong enough, so could someone help me out please?

2 hours ago, DecafDog said:

As an ed practitioner who has no interest in academia (and no patience for a PhD), I'm deeply intrigued by Doctorates in Education Leadership.However, for the life of me, I can't find any such programs to apply to, apart from the following three: 

Are there any other in-person, full-time Ed LD that have a good reputation across the country? Maybe my Google-fu just isn't strong enough, so could someone help me out please?

I'm not in Education, but I am helping my best friend look up programs like you mentioned, since she's into Educational Leadership too.

UNC chapel hill has one- https://ed.unc.edu/academics/programs/educational-leadership 

And Vanderbilt- https://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/programs/doctor-of-education-edd/

These are 2 I know from minimum research (outside of the ones you mentioned). But if I were you, I'd start here just as a jump off point to check out Education programs and then go to the schools' websites to see which ones specifically offer Educational Leadership EdDs. I believe Purdue offers Educational Leadership, but in the form of a PhD, not an EdD (https://www.education.purdue.edu/academics/graduate-students/degrees-and-programs/graduate-programs/educational-leadership/)

I'm not in the field of Education so I can't speak to the reputation of the schools, which is why I suggested US News, which seems to be an up-to-date list of good Education programs. Of course, take the list with a grain of salt in terms of measuring prestige.  

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, Cryss said:

I'm not in Education, but I am helping my best friend look up programs like you mentioned, since she's into Educational Leadership too

Which schools is she applying to? Has she finalized that list yet? HGSE sounds so selective but I'd love to get in there!

When you say Educational Leadership, what do you mean exactly? K-12 leadership or Higher Ed? Policy or Administration? 
If you're looking for Higher Education Administration, looking into "Student Affairs" or something along the lines of "Higher Education Administration" would probably be more fruitful.

1 hour ago, DecafDog said:

Which schools is she applying to? Has she finalized that list yet? HGSE sounds so selective but I'd love to get in there!

No, she has not finalized her list yet. Like you, she's still looking into programs and shopping around to fully gauge schools that offer Educational Leadership. She wants to include HGSE, but she doesn't plan to apply to that many programs, so I'm not sure what will stay on the list or not.  I think she's aiming to apply to 3 or 4, so she will be choosing the ones that really interest her. 

I'm sure there are quite a few East Coast programs you can apply to and stick with without having to move across the country. You should be comfortable with your location!

13 hours ago, vestigialtraits said:

When you say Educational Leadership, what do you mean exactly? K-12 leadership or Higher Ed? Policy or Administration? 
If you're looking for Higher Education Administration, looking into "Student Affairs" or something along the lines of "Higher Education Administration" would probably be more fruitful.

Ah, great question! I should have clarified that - I'm interested only in k-12 Ed Leadership, and not Higher Ed.

13 hours ago, Cryss said:

I'm sure there are quite a few East Coast programs you can apply to and stick with without having to move across the country. You should be comfortable with your location!

Actually, I don't think there are many others apart from the three I've mentioned, that are reputed in-person full-time Doctorates (and not PhDs), and located in the general East Coast area. Even Columbia Teachers College doesn't have one ?

I'll keep looking though. 

PS: If your friend is open to Canada, U of Toronto has an excellent Ed Leadership doctorate program.

Are you looking for a full time EdD because you want funding?

If funding isn't an issue, then you could approach almost any EdD at a quicker pace than the part-time pace recommended to students who are working while attending. There are many many reputable programs in this category, including plenty on the East Coast.

5 minutes ago, DecafDog said:

Millennial here. Sadly, funding will always be an issue!

I don't think that's unique to Millennials. :)

I don't know of many programs that offer funding for practitioner-focused EdDs. In the NYU program, for instance, it only notes that full-time PhDs can receive funding.

6 hours ago, t_ruth said:

In the NYU program, for instance, it only notes that full-time PhDs can receive funding.

I missed reading that. Welp, one less program to apply to :-/  I guess I'll have to persuade HGSE to accept me. Maybe make an offer they cannot refuse ?

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, DecafDog said:

Putting an ounce of effort into a rudimentary search would yield numerous K-12 Education Leadership EdD programs, and they are far from limited to those at top-tier universities you mentioned. I don't want to be rude, but realistically, if you're unable to even find/identify programs that interest you, how are you going to evaluate programs in a meaningful way, decide where to apply, and take the steps needed to complete successful applications? Asking others to take the most preliminary of steps for you is just lazy and, ultimately, a bit pointless - you know what you're looking for, not anybody else, and it won't come from a random list of highly ranked universities/programs. Show some initiative, do your own legwork; if you're used to having somebody holding your hand for even this level of 'research', maybe truly consider what a doctoral program will entail as well. Take charge of your situation. Or go ahead and throw money away on applications anyway. Either way, good luck to you.

• 2 years later...