Advice needed on picking career options!

kay41

Hi guys,

I am a senior in college pursuing a Bachelor's degree, and I need some advice on picking my career options. I am double majoring in computer science and psychology, and I am looking for a field where I can utilize my knowledge and skills from both of the fields. I have a lot of research experience and am currently considering going to graduate school to study fields like AI or HCI. I am not interested in becoming a professor as of right now, but I enjoy every step of research projects.

However, I am still unsure of what exactly I want to do or how I can integrate two separate fields. There is no professor or staff at my college who has experience in these two fields, and the suggestions I receive from professors are usually biased towards their field. I am also struggling to decide if I should (1) find a job after graduation and keep searching for an ideal field in graduate, (2) go to master's program, or (3) go to master's & doctoral dual program. Getting scholarships is another factor that I have to consider as I will not able to financially support myself without a full scholarship and some stipend. Someone told me that if I want to go to graduate school right away, I should choose a dual program in master's & Ph.D. because they tend to have more funds for students than master's programs. As someone who needs scholarships but also unsure of what field to study, I am very conflicted with what path to take. Could you please give me some insights on this situation?

Any advice is helpful. Thank you so much in advance!

I don't have any specific program recommendations. However, I find it is sometimes easier to work backwards. What is your ideal job? Figure out what job you would ultimately like and then work backwards from there to see what credentials you would need.