ETS vs. Magoosh Score Accuracy

Hi guys!

I've been using magoosh to prepare for the GRE (I'm taking it this Thursday) and just took my first practice test.

I got a 163 V and 145 Q which is not the best but not as bad as I thought it would be.

I've heard that the magoosh practice tests are different and more difficult than the ETS practice test and that the ETS test is a more accurate depiction of what score you will get.

For those of you who have taken the GRE do you think that is true??

Thank you!!

Edited by catcobb

I think the ETS score is a lot closer than the Magoosh score. I would recommend taking an ETS practice test which I found to be very close to my actual scores (I did the PowerPrep Plus 3 Test).

• 2 weeks later...

ETS is great for practice tests and Magoosh was better for just memorizing the vocabulary which you need for the verbal section. I found all the magoosh words on Quizlet, so I wouldn't spend money on the official thing. 

ETS for me was nearly identical to my overall score. Good luck. 

Yes, I found the official ETS practice tests more indicative. I did all the hundreds of Magoosh practice problems, and you know how Magoosh calculates an estimated score for what you'll get on the actual test based on how you do in practice; on the actual test, I wound up getting 5 points higher than the highest score Magoosh thought I would get. When I took the PowerPrep tests, the "voice" of the writer of the Verbal questions felt a little different from the Magoosh Verbal voice I was used to--it wasn't disorienting or anything, but it was different. It felt to me in general that there were more difficult problems on Magoosh than on the actual test, and particularly with the Verbal, I found some of the questions on the actual test more definite, whereas on the hardest Magoosh Verbal questions there would be times when I felt like they had two answer choices that could both be justified. But still, Magoosh was excellent prep for me and I credit them for my score. If you do plan on taking the GRE more than once, I'd recommend going through the two free PowerPrep official practice tests. If nothing else, taking more practice tests helps with timing and stamina :) Good luck! 

Edited by Multicolormagic

I had been using Magoosh for a few months, and they estimated my scores to be 10-12 points lower than my actual GRE score . I also felt like the math problems on Magoosh were a lot more difficult than the math on the real test. So in the end, I did better than I thought I would. Would def recommend Magoosh , I think the video lessons are super helpful!