MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

53 minutes ago, jessicaeec said:

Hello!

Im also waiting to hear back from UChi, did they send you an acceptance email? I applied for the January Deadline and still haven't received  an email saying if they have received my application. 

Thankyou!

They sent an email whose subject read, "Application Status Update - The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration." You're prompted to check the website and see the admission decision. I submitted my app on 12/1, so it might be that they're just behind in processing. Fingers crossed - waiting is not fun :)

50 minutes ago, mswanxiety said:

enroll by date is also 3/30 for me as well which is earlier than other schools and I know about aid from them. 

i haven't gotten my official letter yet, so i might be misunderstanding the convo, but i wonder how that works with the april 15 resolution (https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution)? 

6 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

For my ASU app I pretty outright forgot to change some fonts within my statement making it obvious I copy and pasted some stuff in. They didn't bat an eye I'm pretty sure. Did you have a TOEFL score you submitted? Because that's going to matter more than a couple of mistakes. 

I'd definitely say do not borrow trouble and don't worry incessantly until decisions. Know that many native speakers probably made mistakes too and that two in the grand scheme of things is pretty minimal. :) 

No I didnt. My toefl requirement was waived because I received my undergrad education in the U.S.. I do have pretty good scores but they expired bc I took the tests a few years ago. But, thank you anyways! I'm so anxious, but everyone here is so supportive and amazing!!

1 hour ago, jessicaeec said:

Hello!

Im also waiting to hear back from UChi, did they send you an acceptance email? I applied for the January Deadline and still haven't received  an email saying if they have received my application. 

Thankyou!

I also submitted my application for Uchi on 01/15. They just started releasing decisions for ppl who applied for the 12/01 deadline last week. we can just wait for now I guess?Good luck to both of us!!

31 minutes ago, msw2020waiting said:

No I didnt. My toefl requirement was waived because I received my undergrad education in the U.S.. I do have pretty good scores but they expired bc I took the tests a few years ago. But, thank you anyways! I'm so anxious, but everyone here is so supportive and amazing!!

Then I’d say you’re DEFINITELY fine :) 

I have applied to the UofMich for fall 2020. I have just scheduled an interview due to my lower GPA. I am wanting to make sure that I am able to explain my GPA being so low. Has anyone had an interview for an MSW? I am trying to figure out what kind of questions I should prepare to answer? Any tips and suggest would be greatly appreciated. 

30 minutes ago, JoRey said:

I have applied to the UofMich for fall 2020. I have just scheduled an interview due to my lower GPA. I am wanting to make sure that I am able to explain my GPA being so low. Has anyone had an interview for an MSW? I am trying to figure out what kind of questions I should prepare to answer? Any tips and suggest would be greatly appreciated. 

Hello! 

They asked me to interview with the school and this was the list of questions they asked me, apparently it is a structured list they do with everyone. Good luck!!!

1. Tell me about yourself

2. Why do you want to pursue an MSW at Michigan?

3. Why should we consider you?

4. Mention a hard time in your life that you overcame

5. What are your professional goals with an MSW?

6. Favorite book/author

7. What you like to do in your free time

35 minutes ago, JoRey said:

I haven't had an interview yet, but I also had to explain my transcript in my applications because I had many Ws due to several terms of medical leave. I've heard that as long as you frame it like something that motivated you to grow and do better it will be fine. let them know that your gpa cannot really represent your actual abilities. telling them about your other academic related achievements would probably help.

Edited by msw2020waiting

Currently 2:34pm in Denver...it is 4:34pm here, so at least 3/4 more hours of waiting to see if my decision comes today. I actually really hope it is tomorrow when I'm at research so I can let my mentor and other team members know (if they don't hear me screech with excitement first....and if it is good news).

3 minutes ago, Liza123 said:

Currently 2:34pm in Denver...it is 4:34pm here, so at least 3/4 more hours of waiting to see if my decision comes today. I actually really hope it is tomorrow when I'm at research so I can let my mentor and other team members know (if they don't hear me screech with excitement first....and if it is good news).

I would kill for any good news from any school right now, but super excited for Denver

Hi can anyone please give me some suggestions? I was originally planning to apply for some MA/MPP programs that require GRE, and those programs have late March/April deadlines, so I registered for a January test. My scores just came back and I got 161verbal and 4.5 aw. I really wanna get into some of the MSW programs that I applied, but I have already submitted my applications without GRE scores. Should I still contact the admissions to ask if I could send in my GRE scores now? Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

59 minutes ago, msw2020waiting said:

Hi can anyone please give me some suggestions? I was originally planning to apply for some MA/MPP programs that require GRE, and those programs have late March/April deadlines, so I registered for a January test. My scores just came back and I got 161verbal and 4.5 aw. I really wanna get into some of the MSW programs that I applied, but I have already submitted my applications without GRE scores. Should I still contact the admissions to ask if I could send in my GRE scores now? Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

I think for MSW it really shouldn't matter too much since they don't require them for applications. I took the GRE but didn't submit my scores because I felt I could've done better and this took the pressure off. 

4 minutes ago, mmddaa said:

Does anyone know you Uchi is sending out acceptances throughout the week or only in Friday’s?

Mine came through on a Saturday (1/25).

Has anyone heard back from Columbia or Berkeley? A few weeks back I saw a few people post about it? I constantly check the portals for updates.  I’ve been on edge and eager waiting for acceptance responses! This has been one of the most exciting and nerve wrecking times of my life. I applied both in December 2019. 

1 minute ago, Mrhopeful said:

Has anyone heard back from Columbia or Berkeley? A few weeks back I saw a few people post about it? I constantly check the portals for updates.  I’ve been on edge and eager waiting for acceptance responses! This has been one of the most exciting and nerve wrecking times of my life. I applied both in December 2019. 

I called Berkeley last week and they said decisions would be out by around February 22nd. I also talked to Columbia today and they said my application decision would be sent out in the next week or two. 

When did you apply? I submitted my applications on November 26th. 

On 1/26/2020 at 6:58 PM, Liza123 said:

Ooh, a macro friend! So rare to find yet much needed. :') I applied for interpersonal practice at Michigan; the Children & Youth concentration at Denver; and the Community-Centered Integrative Practice concentration at Washington. I hope to become a school social worker, and maybe move up into educational policy after a while. I also have intentions of opening a homeless shelter for LGBTQ+ youth, or working with that population in some way. Washington's CCIP concentration really seems to encompass both micro- and macro-level skills, which is honestly why it's my top choice (here's to waiting until the end of March!).

Waiting is the worst!  I already feel like the mid-to-late February admissions decisions are too far away.  I'm a Administrative Assistant in a high school right now, and our social worker is a life-saver!  I have a BS in Education, so if I ever did decide to go the clinical route, school social work would definitely be what I would lean towards.  Educational policy is definitely one of the areas I am interested in.

12 minutes ago, JoRey said:

Congrats on getting in! Did they ask you to come in for an interview or did you request the interview? 

Thank you so much! I am really excited.

They asked me to interview. 

I went from getting C's, D's and (many) F's at a city college for three years to getting straight A's in city college and at my 4 year and they were curious how I had done it. 

Edited by JuliaFrances