MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Hey guys! Ive been browsing for a bit but I thought I'd jump in. I was accepted to Michigan on 1/6 and am set to attend in the fall (advanced standing, interpersonal practice). I also have not gotten any financial aid info, but I have heard that Michigan's SSW doesnt give out the best financial aid.

Michigan was actually the only school I applied to as I wanted to stay in the Ann Arbor area. I've lived here for about four years so if anyone has any questions about the city let me know :)

2 hours ago, gracie18 said:

I still haven't received the pdf version (also heard via phone and email confirmation on the 14th). Pretty frustrating if they are only sending PDF acceptance letters and not including financial aid/merit scholarships! I have to give BC an answer on my scholarship by mid-Feb, and would really love to have some idea of Michigan's cost in order to make a decision. ? Hopefully Chicago sends scholarships as well if they do end up releasing decisions tomorrow!

Scholarship amount is In The decision letter!! 

1 hour ago, savannahopes said:

CONGRATS!!!! That is the most exciting!!! Can I ask which programs you all applied to (within U Chicago's SSA)

Of course! I applied to the two year track in SSA - for the AM degree. 

and thank you so much! I have some hard decision making to do now that I have all my decisions!

11 minutes ago, savannahopes said:

Eep! Did all of them get released at midnight? I am a nervous gal, but I will keep telling myself that no news is good news until told otherwise lol

I'm in the same boat as you-- I applied early action and didn't receive an email at midnight nor has there been an update to my portal. I am staying hopeful for both of us! 

25 minutes ago, savannahopes said:

Eep! Did all of them get released at midnight? I am a nervous gal, but I will keep telling myself that no news is good news until told otherwise lol

My email came at midnight! Which is so weird, they usually come after 5 on a Friday!

1 hour ago, Anna H said:

I applied 11/29, so perhaps they're releasing them based on date? Guess we will see! 

I’m honestly not sure! But I wouldn’t fret - as decisions are being released throughout the weeks!!! So maybe yours is coming up. I know our apps go through multiple review processes. (I called). Also - maybe those with scholarships will hear back earlier than later? That way if they decline, they can offer that to someone else with admission? 

I have no idea! 

Edited by Zayah

26 minutes ago, Anna H said:

I'm in the same boat as you-- I applied early action and didn't receive an email at midnight nor has there been an update to my portal. I am staying hopeful for both of us! 

Definitely stay hopeful! I don't know how their process works, but the way they release decisions may be either a) more random than we might expect or b) based on some criterion we wouldn't expect

13 minutes ago, Zayah said:

My email came at midnight! Which is so weird, they usually come after 5 on a Friday!

I was surprised by this as well!

11 minutes ago, Zayah said:

Congrats!! Will you be going?!

Not sure yet! I have an interview next week for the full-time MBA program at UW-Madison, and I'll need to wait for their decision before making my own. I plan to do some more talking with each of the programs I'm accept to to help guide my choice. I only applied to programs that I know I want to attend, but the reason for each is different. It's going to be tough no matter what!

What about you??

On 1/24/2020 at 9:07 AM, Zayah said:

Congrats! Did you get a scholarship as well??

I did! $31k...but it looks like it's only for the first three terms...?? I was a bit confused by the wording. I am less interested in macro and I think that is a strength of the program. I have a better offer at WashU and cost of living is expensive in Chicago so I don't think I'll end up going there... Did you?

On 1/24/2020 at 1:47 PM, mswanxiety said:

I did! $31k...but it looks like it's only for the first three terms...?? I was a bit confused by the wording. I am less interested in macro and I think that is a strength of the program. I have a better offer at WashU and cost of living is expensive in Chicago so I don't think I'll end up going there...

For what it's worth I saw this on the UChicago website: Although scholarship/gift aid is awarded for one year, 99 percent of scholarships/gifts were renewed for second-year students last year.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:49 PM, theworldatlarge said:

For what it's worth I saw this on the UChicago website: Although scholarship/gift aid is awarded for one year, 99 percent of scholarships/gifts were renewed for second-year students last year.

Thanks for the tip! Did you get a scholarship? Trying to get a sense if I received a good amount or not..