MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

2 hours ago, Top Decisions said:

I FELT THIS! Columbia has been doing a really poor job on multiple fronts. I declined their offer, as well. I wish I didn't waste money on their application fee.

Where have you decided to go?

23 hours ago, bae1028 said:

I feel you and I still haven't heard anything... Hmm... I wonder if they will send the letter at night? It's almost 6 there. 

I seriously cannot believe it. First we were told that they would give us a response no later than April 19th, then it was extended to May 15th. The email literally says,    "We hope to give you a decision soon, and our plan is to have all decisions no later than May 15." 

I don't know what to expect. Will they extend it again?  Did you ever hear back? 

19 hours ago, Gelibutter said:

I seriously cannot believe it. First we were told that they would give us a response no later than April 19th, then it was extended to May 15th. The email literally says,    "We hope to give you a decision soon, and our plan is to have all decisions no later than May 15." 

I don't know what to expect. Will they extend it again?  Did you ever hear back? 

I'm right there with you. It's ludicrous at this point, and I've decided to go ahead and pay the deposit at another school. While I'm sympathetic to Columbia's unprecedented situation, I'm looking at other schools in the city who have been very communicative and forthright with their applicants, so am finding the extended waiting game with ZERO communication on their end disappointing. 

On 5/16/2020 at 3:35 PM, Gelibutter said:

I kept on waiting and thought maybe, maybe they'll send something before May 16th at 12:00am. They didn't. I would still appreciate it if they acknowledge that the pandemic gets into the way and they have to delay the descision. I am already moving on to the other schools who will give me more financial package. Very disappointed with Columbia. 

On 5/15/2020 at 5:44 PM, MSWDuringCOVID said:

Hello Everyone! I am a career changer who applied to USC, SJSU, SDSU, University of Houston and Hunter college.

Happy to announce that I JUST got into USC Adult Mental Health and Wellness MSW program. Anyone else who is going to USC? It was my dream program before COVID-19.

My goal is to become a clinical social worker and work with patients 1-on-1. For me, especially during the COVID pandemic, it would be irresponsible of me to go to USC for an online education that cost over $100k. I have taken online courses before and they do not compare to in person instruction.

I am really waiting for Hunter college, as it has a clinical program and is an in-state school for me. The portal says "PENDING PROGRAM DECISION". Anyone else experiencing the same? Thoughts?

Congratulations to everyone else who received offers and are closer to making their career dreams a reality!

Have you heard from Hunters yet? Or SJSU? Congrats on USC! Great school 

On 5/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, bae1028 said:

I kept on waiting and thought maybe, maybe they'll send something before May 16th at 12:00am. They didn't. I would still appreciate it if they acknowledge that the pandemic gets into the way and they have to delay the descision. I am already moving on to the other schools who will give me more financial package. Very disappointed with Columbia. 

I emailed them on May 16th and on May 18th they emailed me back saying," I'm sorry you have not received an update on your waitlisted application. You can expect to receive an update in the next several days. Thank you for your patience." 

I have moved on too. Extremely disappointed that we STILL have not heard anything from them. It just feels like it's dragged on way too much and I hate that they give a false deadline. I just wish there was more communication. 

Hi! I have been following this thread for a while and it has really helped to see that so many people are interested in the same things as I am. 

I have been accepted to Columbia's MSW program for Fall 2020 and saw that a few of you had appealed their financial aid awards. I was wondering what was the process of appealing.

If anyone has an insights I would gladly appreciate the help!

Also, shout out to any RPCVs!

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any insight into converting loans into work-study. On one hand, I like the idea of taking out less loans. On the other hand, I worry about finding the time to juggle all the things (internship, school, work, occasionally having a life lol, etc.) My program has class M, Tues, Fri and internship Wed, Thurs. If I accept work study, I would work about 17 hours a week. Logistically, I just don't see how that's possible unless I'm working and going to school the same days and/or working the weekends. Also, my course load would be 15-17 units. My number one priority would be my classes and getting assignments done. I need to figure out if I should accept work-study soon but really feel uninformed on making the decision! Any input would be appreciated :) 

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone ! Hope all is well ! My program, like many, have decided to go completely online for the Fall semester , and I feel fine with it... I think... but I've never done online classes before I didn't care for them as I prefer in person but I came to the conclusion that as long as I get my education and can still begin getting ready for my career, I'll deal with it , I just wanted to hear everyone else opinions or thoughts about online classes, i.e. how to stay on track with online classes, is it a drastic change from in person classes, anything really since I haven't done them before and my field placement seems like its going to be a mix of online and in person, my mind has been all over the place trying to figure out how this is going to work and I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my education and getting probably equipped for the field even if this is my first semester but I am so excited and want to do the best I can ! 

• 2 weeks later...

LOL @ Columbia for sending me a rejection letter today (got waitlisted in February) a week after I moved to Philly for Penn's program. Thanks for the timely update, sis. 

Edited by msw715

On 7/29/2020 at 4:00 PM, msw715 said:

LOL @ Columbia for sending me a rejection letter today (got waitlisted in February) a week after I moved to Philly for Penn's program. Thanks for the timely update, sis. 

HAAA I got mine too on the 29th (was waitlisted in April). So ridiculous. 

• 1 month later...