MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

1 hour ago, amc840 said:

hey send me a private message I can share what I wrote..still waiting to hear back from the admission about scholarship appeal...do you have other offers you can send them? are you a person of color?

Just did! Thank you!

On 4/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, Alinic said:

Same! Did they email you back? I emailed last week and they said they are still working on getting back to people. 

No! They never emailed me back. I've sent like two emails? What is going on? What did they say to you. When were you suppose to hear back? 

On 4/23/2020 at 10:00 AM, Gelibutter said:

No! They never emailed me back. I've sent like two emails? What is going on? What did they say to you. When were you suppose to hear back? 

I was supposed to hear back by April 19th. They said they’re still working on applications and they’d let me know within a couple of weeks. ?

6 hours ago, Alinic said:

I was supposed to hear back by April 19th. They said they’re still working on applications and they’d let me know within a couple of weeks. ?

what email did you use? Sigh, that's so defeating to hear, especially since we have already been waiting and told us we would hear an answer by that date. 

On 2/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, emma-msw said:

Did anyone else apply to the University of South Florida's MSW program? :)

My friend found out on the 7th that she got in..have you heard anything back? I haven’t 

20 hours ago, Gelibutter said:

what email did you use? Sigh, that's so defeating to hear, especially since we have already been waiting and told us we would hear an answer by that date. 

I emailed cssw-admit@columbia.edu. I hope that you get accepted to your dream school ?

On 4/13/2020 at 7:45 PM, Gelibutter said:

Hi ya'll , U-Mitch recently got back to me asking that they want to schedule an interview with me. Do they do this usually? Has anyone done an interview with them? What can I expect. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks :)

I got the same letter, my interview is May 4th on bluejeans, some type of online interview thing. I'm super nervous... would also love any tips!

I've been really bothered by the lack of transparency re: COVID-19 by these universities. The NYC universities (Columbia, NYU, CUNY etc.) KNOW that they are not going to be hosting in-person classes and field work in Fall 2020, but they're stringing us along as though it's a possibility. That really irks me.

3 hours ago, Top Decisions said:

I've been really bothered by the lack of transparency re: COVID-19 by these universities. The NYC universities (Columbia, NYU, CUNY etc.) KNOW that they are not going to be hosting in-person classes and field work in Fall 2020, but they're stringing us along as though it's a possibility. That really irks me.

As a person who actually lives in NYC, I have to disagree with you. The NYC universities are not stringing anyone along, they are just not set on what is the executive action Governor Cuomo is planning to set. As you can believe we, in the U.S., particularly in these hard hit areas, are ALL in a climate of uncertainty. We do not know what to expect even in the next 2 weeks, so to lack compassion and be impatient while these cities are trying to ensure the safety of people who live here is inconsiderate. They are trying their best, not trying to rush reopening things. So just wait and stop thinking that there is a lack of transparency, we just don't know what is yet to come...Simple!

Edited by MyMSW2020

4 minutes ago, MyMSW2020 said:

As a person who actually lives in NYC, I have to disagree with you. The NYC universities are not stringing anyone along, they are just not set on what is the executive action Governor Cuomo is planning to set. As you can believe we, in the U.S., particularly in these hard hit areas, are ALL in a climate of uncertainty. We do not know what to expect even in the next 2 weeks, so to lack compassion and be impatient while these cities are trying to ensure the safety of people who live here is inconsiderate. They are trying their best, not trying to rush reopening things. So just wait and stop thinking that there is a lack of transparency, we just don't know what is yet to come...Simple!

The experts agree that it won't be safe to reopen by Fall. So, what uncertainty are you talking about? Areas that aren't as severely affected are not planning to reopen by then. Reopening would be irresponsible. A major point was that NY was hit the hardest. The whole tangent about lacking compassion was unnecessary. Rushing the reopening is clearly not the issue. Try to imagine how heavily inconvenienced out of state students would be if there is a rushed reopening. Think about moving your entire life to a new location just to get a "Oh, we're just kidding..You have to leave" from the university. Right now, as "someone who actually lives in NYC", you should be more informed. Columbia University students are protesting their university's handling of COVID-19. Particularly, the decision not to refund students for room and board. If the issues don't affect you, you can still choose to have an empathetic response.

Currently deciding between University of Washington and Columbia. University of Washington is currently cheaper (they provided a smaller scholarship that Columbia but tuition is cheaper to begin with). Columbia provided a scholarship but tuition is still more expensive than UW, however I applied and received an assistantship at Columbia that provides room and board so cost of living is somewhat taken care of.  It is making it a hard decision. I am currently on the West coast and a cross country move during a pandemic seems like a bad choice but pre-pandemic Columbia was my top pick. Wondering if anyone else is struggling with decision making right now? And if you committed to a program what was your biggest deciding factor?

Hi!! 

I am planning on committing to Columbia, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to appeal their financial aid package? Was is successful? If so,  what did you write ( if you are okay with sharing)? I received a $16,000 scholarship yearly. I am also curious to know what ya'll got? 

11 hours ago, Shabelly said:

Hi!! 

I am planning on committing to Columbia, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to appeal their financial aid package? Was is successful? If so,  what did you write ( if you are okay with sharing)? I received a $16,000 scholarship yearly. I am also curious to know what ya'll got? 

Hi! I also received 16k yearly from Columbia, but this was after a financial appeal (using letters from NYU and University of Denver who awarded me 16k as well per year). I appealed with a 25k scholarship which came from U Chicago, Colmbia said they could not offer more based on their available funding , my FAFSA, and my application. I think it's worth a shot, especially if it's your first appeal to them and every financial situation is different so they could be more open to offering you funding based on your stats.

2 hours ago, PDXmsw said:

Hi! I also received 16k yearly from Columbia, but this was after a financial appeal (using letters from NYU and University of Denver who awarded me 16k as well per year). I appealed with a 25k scholarship which came from U Chicago, Colmbia said they could not offer more based on their available funding , my FAFSA, and my application. I think it's worth a shot, especially if it's your first appeal to them and every financial situation is different so they could be more open to offering you funding based on your stats.

Thank you for sharing this with me! It's definitely worth a shot; I really hope they increase my package. Have you committed to any schools yet?

20 hours ago, Shabelly said:

Hi!! 

I also received a 16k yearly scholarship from Columbia. I appealed for more money and they gave me only 1k more a year. But the process was very quick and I got a response in less than a week! 

Hello all! 

I applied to seven MSW programs and got accepted to all. I am currently considering UMICH, Columbia, and Boston College. 

I tried appealing my financial aid packet with Columbia, but was denied. Has anyone tried to re-appeal their packet???? I was awarded 40k with UMICH opposed to Columbia's 12k... I don't expect Columbia to give me the full 40k, but anything to make it a little more acceptable for me to actually attend...

Thanks in advance!

On 4/27/2020 at 1:08 PM, PDXmsw said:

Currently deciding between University of Washington and Columbia. University of Washington is currently cheaper (they provided a smaller scholarship that Columbia but tuition is cheaper to begin with). Columbia provided a scholarship but tuition is still more expensive than UW, however I applied and received an assistantship at Columbia that provides room and board so cost of living is somewhat taken care of.  It is making it a hard decision. I am currently on the West coast and a cross country move during a pandemic seems like a bad choice but pre-pandemic Columbia was my top pick. Wondering if anyone else is struggling with decision making right now? And if you committed to a program what was your biggest deciding factor?

Hi there! congrats on your assistanship! How did you apply for that? If you could please share I would be really grateful because I know what research I want to do and was wondering how to apply for an assitantship...I am also struggling to make a decision right now between NYU and Columbia

Got into Hunter with no interview!!

Submitted application: 2/1. Completed: 2/20.   Final decision made by Hunter: 4/27 @4pm.    Accepted offer:  4/27 @4:01pm lol....

only school I applied to!!!!

Edited by DR15

On 4/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, ReneNicole said:

I got the same letter, my interview is May 4th on bluejeans, some type of online interview thing. I'm super nervous... would also love any tips!

I just had my interview with them this past Monday!! DM me if you have any specific questions or concerns 

On 4/26/2020 at 5:36 AM, Alinic said:

I emailed cssw-admit@columbia.edu. I hope that you get accepted to your dream school ?

They just emailed me back saying that they are held up b/c they extended their deadline and that they hope to get all decisions out by May 15th.