MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

On 4/10/2020 at 2:51 PM, msw2020waiting said:

Sorry that I forgot to reply! I’m not sure yet. I think I’m probably going to be staying near the campus for the first year!

I know the Hyde Park area well, I used to live in the area for quite a few years.. born and raised

On 4/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, Top Decisions said:

Right! I guess I should've specified I was referring to the one for admitted students. Thanks.
Will they send us the link or?

Ive been so busy I'm sorry yes there will send the info necessary to get into the group

4 hours ago, yuenmei said:

Is anyone choosing (or has chosen) between BC and Simmons? What factors are going into your process? 

I am...heavily leaning towards BC, I think overall their school and program has a stronger reputation which should help in the long run. Waiting to hear back on $$ because the cost difference is notable, although they’ve been very responsive. I’d say I’m 99.9% BC. 

Just now, acro22 said:

I am...heavily leaning towards BC, I think overall their school and program has a stronger reputation which should help in the long run. Waiting to hear back on $$ because the cost difference is notable, although they’ve been very responsive. I’d say I’m 99.9% BC. 

Oh? Did you email Frances Stearns about an appeal? I did, but I haven't heard anything in any case...

On 4/13/2020 at 1:16 PM, Top Decisions said:

What are the highest offers you know of for the following universities? (Scholarships):

* University of Chicago
*University of Pennsylvania
*Columbia University

I recieved  25K from Uchicago but I have heard from someone who was offered 30K as well

15 hours ago, yuenmei said:

Oh? Did you email Frances Stearns about an appeal? I did, but I haven't heard anything in any case...

Yes, it seems like they need to wait for today’s deadline to pass to see what students don’t enroll and that may free up scholarship money. 

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to post, I'm new here. 

Has anyone heard back from Laurier's non-BSW MSW online program? On the website it says to wait unit May, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard back earlier. I only applied to this one program, since I need it to be online. I don't think I'm in a position to be competitive enough for it, but thought I'd try anyway. Otherwise, I am planning to complete another Bachelors but in Social Work, which I can do in about 1.5 to 2 years. Not ideal since I have a BA and an MA already. This wait is killing me.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:17 PM, yuenmei said:

Is anyone choosing (or has chosen) between BC and Simmons? What factors are going into your process? 

I chose BC back in February,  and what I love most about it is just the organization of the program, I think they do a good job of making sure the students are not too overwhelmed with classes and field placement, also the curriculum seems to be rock solid , I'm waiting to hear back about my scholarship reconsideration too and hoping the fall semester goes as planned?

Hi all! Is anyone going to the Erikson Institute in Chicago? My sister's considering them for an MSW focusing on Infant and Early childhood mental health. She got a total scholarship of $20,000 spread out over the duration of the 2 years and I'm wondering if this is a normal amount? She applied kind of late and is deciding whether to defer and hope for more money next year.

And in general does anyone know about the program, its reputation, and how it's regarded as an institution around the country? 

Edited by NE17

Has anyone chosen between Michigan and UNC Chapel Hill? If so, how did you decide? Both have given me a good amount of money, but I'm torn because I'm more excited about UM's program (I'm interested in community organizing work), but would rather live in NC and their program might still be cheaper. 

On 4/13/2020 at 4:47 PM, Shabelly said:

Just got accepted to Columbia, NYU, Fordham , and Hunter. Now I cant decide. If you can let me know where you will be attending Fall 2020 and why you chose that University? 

Do you know how much financial aid each are offering you? I have applied at NYU, Fordham and Hunter. It’s looking like Fordham is most likely but I’m confused about their financial aid because they say for merit scholarship I got 6,000. But that was just merit....should I expect to hear for need based assistance offering. Or when o can I just get my general information about loans so I can start worrying about that.....I aM STrESSeD

Couldn’t wait any longer and decided to email Hunter earlier this morning about the status of my application since I was supposed to hear back last month. Hopefully an update comes out if it because I’m getting a bit nervous! Anyone have luck with this tactic?

Hello! I applied to CSU Northridge for their MSW program. I recently got put on their waitlist. Do you guys know of positive waitlist stories of people getting accepted? It's the only school I applied to, so I'm a little nervous. It's not a top ranked program, but they only accept 150 total within 500 applicants received each year. 

On 4/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, Top Decisions said:

Columbia is getting on my nerves, now. Everytime I see an email from them.... thinking it's an admissions decision only to see it's another invite for one of their Facebook live videos. 

Literally same! At this point I've picked my school, so I guess it doesn't matter, but I would still like to KNOW. Every single time, it's another Facebook live invite. ?

I think their admissions committee is ghosting me.

Ya'll I am so upset at Columbia....  I was put on the waitlist on March 21st and was told that the admissions office will convey a final determination regarding my admission status by no later than April 19th. It's April 21st and I still have no response. I already reached out to them via email and it does not help that they KEEP sending FB invites for their live videos. URGHHH 

For all of those waiting on Columbia, I received my acceptance letter on Thursday, April 16th. I was already over the entire waiting it out and the only communication they've provided was about their FB live. Honestly, after the acceptance everything comes in pretty face, you get more communication and the fin aid package. Long story short, I decided to decline the offer. I was not pleased with the fin aid package (they offered no scholarships, just loans :/) and the overall lack of engagement with prospective students that are waiting. Plus, I've heard some very unfortunate stories from Columbia students about the lack of help with placement and preparing for licensing. 

I also declined Fordham, Temple, Adelphi and LIU offers. I've accepted to NYU because it was and still is the most engaging and I already feel like a part of the community. They sent me my acceptance decision within 5 days of submitting my application and I've been emailed personally by the fin aid and enrollment and admission offices about opportunities that fits me personally.

Hope my declining of offer Columbia opens up a spot for someone who really wants to go there. Good luck to you all.

1 hour ago, Gelibutter said:

Ya'll I am so upset at Columbia....  I was put on the waitlist on March 21st and was told that the admissions office will convey a final determination regarding my admission status by no later than April 19th. It's April 21st and I still have no response. I already reached out to them via email and it does not help that they KEEP sending FB invites for their live videos. URGHHH 

Same! Did they email you back? I emailed last week and they said they are still working on getting back to people. 

1 hour ago, MyMSW2020 said:

For all of those waiting on Columbia, I received my acceptance letter on Thursday, April 16th. I was already over the entire waiting it out and the only communication they've provided was about their FB live. Honestly, after the acceptance everything comes in pretty face, you get more communication and the fin aid package. Long story short, I decided to decline the offer. I was not pleased with the fin aid package (they offered no scholarships, just loans :/) and the overall lack of engagement with prospective students that are waiting. Plus, I've heard some very unfortunate stories from Columbia students about the lack of help with placement and preparing for licensing. 

I also declined Fordham, Temple, Adelphi and LIU offers. I've accepted to NYU because it was and still is the most engaging and I already feel like a part of the community. They sent me my acceptance decision within 5 days of submitting my application and I've been emailed personally by the fin aid and enrollment and admission offices about opportunities that fits me personally.

Hope my declining of offer Columbia opens up a spot for someone who really wants to go there. Good luck to you all.

Congrats!  I agree that it is important to feel like you're a part of the schools community. It sounds like you made a really good decision. ?

On 4/20/2020 at 8:29 PM, Cat5 said:

Hi! Can anyone give me advice on how to write a scholarship appeal letter? 

hey send me a private message I can share what I wrote..still waiting to hear back from the admission about scholarship appeal...do you have other offers you can send them? are you a person of color?