MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

22 hours ago, Gelibutter said:

They just emailed me back saying that they are held up b/c they extended their deadline and that they hope to get all decisions out by May 15th. 

I received the email too. I thought I was forwarding it to my partner, but instead I replied to the email saying- it doesn’t matter now anyways! I feel horrible about it. So embarrassing! I would of course love to still be admitted, but I’m pretty sure I shot myself in the foot by doing that! 

On 4/28/2020 at 8:57 AM, PDXmsw said:

Hi! I also received 16k yearly from Columbia, but this was after a financial appeal (using letters from NYU and University of Denver who awarded me 16k as well per year). I appealed with a 25k scholarship which came from U Chicago, Colmbia said they could not offer more based on their available funding , my FAFSA, and my application. I think it's worth a shot, especially if it's your first appeal to them and every financial situation is different so they could be more open to offering you funding based on your stats.

Congratulations on your acceptances!

I have a question regarding your financial aid appeal- do you mind telling me how exactly you asked them? You appealed twice, right? And they did match your appeal the first time, but not the second time (am I understanding this right?)? I tried once which they denied despite me showing them what I received from a different uni so I tried again with their appeal form. I'm a little worried they'll be upset with me since I re-appealed lol... 

ALSO, are you in Portland, Oregon?!? I'm in LA now, but I was living in Oregon for the past 2 years!!!!! I miss the PNW!!! Are you set on Columbia and planning to move to NYC?!?! Not to be creepy, but it'd be so cool to meet you (if we decide on the same school haha). 

Hello all! 

For anyone moving to Chicago to attend grad school I currently live down in Hyde Park and am moving July 1st (I am also open to an August 1 move in) the place I live in is wonderful and my roommates are two funny, kind women with their shit together. I posted a link to some pictures of it if anyone is interested! 

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/roo/d/chicago-july-1st-room-in-3-bedroom-with/7110408081.html

Hello! I’m currently deciding between MSW programs (fall 2020 entry, Covid willing) at NYU and USC. NYU offered me 15k a year and USC offered me 20k a year, so they’re a bit more affordable than I initially thought. I’m interested in becoming an LCSW and working with teens and adulta. I’m originally from NJ, so NYC makes sense, but I might end up in LA anyway because my partner plans to work there (and I definitely wouldn’t mind living in Cali). I’m basically just trying to decide which program is better suited to me. I’ve heard that NYU is super clinical (which I like), but I haven’t heard as much about USC’s program. Any advice is appreciated :) 

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE!!

Hey everyone ! I have question that's open to all ! Has anyone decided what they are going to do IF schools come out and say the Fall semester will be entirely online , both classes/field? And on the same token, IF the Fall semester continues as "normal" with in person classes/field with a possibility of the semester going online, has anyone have any idea of what they might do. I know it might be too early to have an answer but I just want to see where everyone else head is at with this. Part of me wants to defer and start next year Fall 2021 when things should go back to being in person and another part of me wants to go ahead and start the semester no matter how it starts because I am very eager to get into the field and I don't want to defer a whole year just because my first year may not go as it was suppose to go. I would have to move out of state to attend school, so my head is all over the place, open to any and all thoughts,  I'm curious to what my other fellow future social workers are thinking. I hope everyone is healthy and safe, thanks !!

23 hours ago, MSWSTRESS said:

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE!!

Hey everyone ! I have question that's open to all ! Has anyone decided what they are going to do IF schools come out and say the Fall semester will be entirely online , both classes/field? And on the same token, IF the Fall semester continues as "normal" with in person classes/field with a possibility of the semester going online, has anyone have any idea of what they might do. I know it might be too early to have an answer but I just want to see where everyone else head is at with this. Part of me wants to defer and start next year Fall 2021 when things should go back to being in person and another part of me wants to go ahead and start the semester no matter how it starts because I am very eager to get into the field and I don't want to defer a whole year just because my first year may not go as it was suppose to go. I would have to move out of state to attend school, so my head is all over the place, open to any and all thoughts,  I'm curious to what my other fellow future social workers are thinking. I hope everyone is healthy and safe, thanks !!

Hiiiii! I feel the same way. I'm choosing to press on because of how much I don't want to delay my actual career, but I will only press on if schools offer a reduced tuition rate ...

10 minutes ago, ayshaface said:

Hiiiii! I feel the same way. I'm choosing to press on because of how much I don't want to delay my actual career, but I will only press on if schools offer a reduced tuition rate ...

Hey !! Thanks for answering me !! my poor boyfriend has been listening to me freak out all week about this lol have you decided which school you're going to ?my mind has been all over the place because I would have to move to Boston for school so I was contemplating if I should go or not, but same as you said, I have decided to start in the Fall , no matter if its online or not, because I really want to start my career and I am just excited to get things going! My only concern is housing right now because I did get a position to be a RA, but if they don't let students move back in , then I probably won't have that position anymore, and need to look for apartments soon, so that's my new worry now lol

1 hour ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Hey !! Thanks for answering me !! my poor boyfriend has been listening to me freak out all week about this lol have you decided which school you're going to ?my mind has been all over the place because I would have to move to Boston for school so I was contemplating if I should go or not, but same as you said, I have decided to start in the Fall , no matter if its online or not, because I really want to start my career and I am just excited to get things going! My only concern is housing right now because I did get a position to be a RA, but if they don't let students move back in , then I probably won't have that position anymore, and need to look for apartments soon, so that's my new worry now lol

Wow that's AMAZING that you got that offer though! I eventually have decided on the University of Washington, as I'm from California and it's much closer. BC was my dream school since high school (was accepted then and didn't go for a boy, huge mistake), but the rent in Boston is astronomical. :( But yeah, I want to start my career so badly. Every therapist I talk to says that you learn so much more in your practicums than you ever do in school, so I'm sort of hoping that I can accept portions of it being online as long as we still have practicums. We'll see though, I think most schools are supposed to let us know by June ... 

Just now, ayshaface said:

Wow that's AMAZING that you got that offer though! I eventually have decided on the University of Washington, as I'm from California and it's much closer. BC was my dream school since high school (was accepted then and didn't go for a boy, huge mistake), but the rent in Boston is astronomical. :( But yeah, I want to start my career so badly. Every therapist I talk to says that you learn so much more in your practicums than you ever do in school, so I'm sort of hoping that I can accept portions of it being online as long as we still have practicums. We'll see though, I think most schools are supposed to let us know by June ... 

Congratulations on your choice! And yeah I've heard that June they will let students know something,  so I'm just constantly checking my emails lol but best of luck to you in everything you do !! And I am on the same boat as you, I have been waiting so long to get started that I just want to do it, what they might do with practicum is push it back a month or so, so like start in October rather than September but every school is different and its all a waiting game now ?‍♀️

22 hours ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Congratulations on your choice! And yeah I've heard that June they will let students know something,  so I'm just constantly checking my emails lol but best of luck to you in everything you do !! And I am on the same boat as you, I have been waiting so long to get started that I just want to do it, what they might do with practicum is push it back a month or so, so like start in October rather than September but every school is different and its all a waiting game now ?‍♀️

agree with you guys...I thought about deferring but honestly, It's time for me to get my career started...and also, I will get what I want and I am willing to go with it and see what happens and start as soon as possible..I believe it will all work out as it should..it ALWAYS does...I am surrendering to the process and trust that I'll be right where I need to even without deferring.

So trust your decisions!!! congratulations to your acceptance and here's to a phenomenal career ahead no matter what happens!!

14 hours ago, amc840 said:

agree with you guys...I thought about deferring but honestly, It's time for me to get my career started...and also, I will get what I want and I am willing to go with it and see what happens and start as soon as possible..I believe it will all work out as it should..it ALWAYS does...I am surrendering to the process and trust that I'll be right where I need to even without deferring.

So trust your decisions!!! congratulations to your acceptance and here's to a phenomenal career ahead no matter what happens!!

This made me feel so much better about my decision to continue! So thank you! There is nothing wrong with deferring of course,  and I had friends and family who were telling me to defer but I know I want to continue on and get my degree so I can work in the schools like I always dreamed of ! Right now, I am working in a job that I like but I don't enjoy because I know my passion is not in that setting and I've been there for a year since I graduated last May, so I know I need to get out of there and go on to do what I know I will love as I've worked in schools before for years ! So thank you again for making me validated in my decision! I am hoping it all works out too and if its all online well then we all figure it out ! Congratulations to you ! And best of luck in everything that you do !! You're going to be amazing!!

8 hours ago, MSWSTRESS said:

This made me feel so much better about my decision to continue! So thank you! There is nothing wrong with deferring of course,  and I had friends and family who were telling me to defer but I know I want to continue on and get my degree so I can work in the schools like I always dreamed of ! Right now, I am working in a job that I like but I don't enjoy because I know my passion is not in that setting and I've been there for a year since I graduated last May, so I know I need to get out of there and go on to do what I know I will love as I've worked in schools before for years ! So thank you again for making me validated in my decision! I am hoping it all works out too and if its all online well then we all figure it out ! Congratulations to you ! And best of luck in everything that you do !! You're going to be amazing!!

Your message really made me smile!! thank you for that too!!! Trust your voice ,you know where you are going and thats a huge clarity and assurance you have on your side in the midst of everything!! and I can identify with that clarity and that's why we should trust we'll be right where we need to be in terms of getting what we need regardless of the situation!!!

You're going to be amazing as well! Thank you!!

xx

Hi all,

Anyone else apply in late spring for Fall 2020? I applied to MSW programs at NYU, Columbia, Michigan, UChicago and BU. I'll have to move, so eager to get a sense of when I might expect to hear a decision. I've worked in field for a handful of years. 

17 hours ago, Alinic said:

Have you heard from them? I was shocked to receive an admit letter today!  

Congrats!! This is amazing news!  I am supposed to hear from them by "no later than May 15th" ...so we will see what tomorrow brings... *gulp*

2 hours ago, bae1028 said:

Congrats!! This is amazing news!  I am supposed to hear from them by "no later than May 15th" ...so we will see what tomorrow brings... *gulp*

Fingers crossed! ?

On 5/1/2020 at 4:01 PM, Alinic said:

I received the email too. I thought I was forwarding it to my partner, but instead I replied to the email saying- it doesn’t matter now anyways! I feel horrible about it. So embarrassing! I would of course love to still be admitted, but I’m pretty sure I shot myself in the foot by doing that! 

Have you heard anything? It's about to be May 15 tomorrow and RADIO SILENT on my end

18 hours ago, Gelibutter said:

Have you heard anything? It's about to be May 15 tomorrow and RADIO SILENT on my end

I feel you and I still haven't heard anything... Hmm... I wonder if they will send the letter at night? It's almost 6 there. 

Hello Everyone! I am a career changer who applied to USC, SJSU, SDSU, University of Houston and Hunter college.

Happy to announce that I JUST got into USC Adult Mental Health and Wellness MSW program. Anyone else who is going to USC? It was my dream program before COVID-19.

My goal is to become a clinical social worker and work with patients 1-on-1. For me, especially during the COVID pandemic, it would be irresponsible of me to go to USC for an online education that cost over $100k. I have taken online courses before and they do not compare to in person instruction.

I am really waiting for Hunter college, as it has a clinical program and is an in-state school for me. The portal says "PENDING PROGRAM DECISION". Anyone else experiencing the same? Thoughts?

Congratulations to everyone else who received offers and are closer to making their career dreams a reality!

On 4/21/2020 at 8:05 PM, MyMSW2020 said:

For all of those waiting on Columbia, I received my acceptance letter on Thursday, April 16th. I was already over the entire waiting it out and the only communication they've provided was about their FB live. Honestly, after the acceptance everything comes in pretty face, you get more communication and the fin aid package. Long story short, I decided to decline the offer. I was not pleased with the fin aid package (they offered no scholarships, just loans :/) and the overall lack of engagement with prospective students that are waiting. Plus, I've heard some very unfortunate stories from Columbia students about the lack of help with placement and preparing for licensing. 

I also declined Fordham, Temple, Adelphi and LIU offers. I've accepted to NYU because it was and still is the most engaging and I already feel like a part of the community. They sent me my acceptance decision within 5 days of submitting my application and I've been emailed personally by the fin aid and enrollment and admission offices about opportunities that fits me personally.

Hope my declining of offer Columbia opens up a spot for someone who really wants to go there. Good luck to you all.

I FELT THIS! Columbia has been doing a really poor job on multiple fronts. I declined their offer, as well. I wish I didn't waste money on their application fee.