MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Hello All!

I am currently in the application process for MSW programs for Fall 2020. I applied to 7 schools and have heard back from 2 so far! I created this post to discuss the application process, decision, stats and any insight anyone can share. How is everyone else's applications going? 

Schools I'm applying to:

George Mason University - Applied 10/01/2019 - Accepted

University of Maryland - Applied 10/04/19

Rutgers University - Applied 11/3/19

Boston College - Applied 10/29/2019

Boston University 

University of Illinois - Chicago - Applied 10/01/19 - Accepted

University of Chicago

University of Texas - Austin - Applied 10/23/2019

Thanks! This was actually my first time applying for Graduate programs, I have been researching and preparing since June! I feel that because I am a career changer, I had to do alot more research to make sure this was right for me! I also wanted to get applications out of the way so I can go back to focusing on my job and saving up for tuition from now. I just submitted an application to Columbia as well today. ( I also wanted to find out sooner than later if I could get into a program. )

What schools are you applying to LisaOh?

Beyond happy that this thread exists!! I'm going to be applying to schools in Philadelphia and my SO and I are moving there soon--would love some recs on personal statement writing as I've previously applied to Clinical Psych PhD programs and the personal statements for MSW programs seem super different. Also, have either of you looked at MFT programs? I'm curious as someone who wants to do more micro SW whether I should be applying to MFT programs as well. Luckily, Philly has a LOT of schools so I have options (I hope)

Right? I tried to find one for weeks and didn't see anything recent. And philly sounds exciting! My husband and I were considering that area as well. Where are you moving from? We are looking to move from the midwest to East Coast, but we shall see! What kind of recommendations are you looking for on your personal statements? Like topics? I am not sure what the requirements for Clinical Pysch PhD programs are but I imagine the writing has to be more evidence based? Where I have found all my MSW statements to be more subjective but still formal. I actually have not considered MFT programs and very unfamiliar with it. I personally like that with a MSW, you can shift your job to a wide scope of direct practice. This is still a newer area, so I constantly am learning all the things you could do with a MSW and it's so exciting!

What schools are you considering in Philly? Are you familiar with Rutgers University? I am really hoping to get an acceptance there and it's one of my top picks for the East Coast, if I were to move to the East Coast.

I am actually applying for both MSW and PhD Programs, mainly focusing on MSW/PhD programs. Since they have small acceptance rates, I am applying to what I feel is a lot. I am also considering applying to some solo MSW programs, but right now, those applications are not my top priority. 

MSW/PhD Programs:
- U Michigan
- Berkeley
- UCLA
- U Chicago
- Rutgers
- U Penn
- Boston College
- Possibly Wisconsin & Pitt

Also considering for MSW or just PhD programs:
- Denver
- Hunter College
- Columbia
- NYU
- Illinois - Chicago
- U Washington

I live in Maryland now, but I want to leave. I use to live in NYC and loved it. So, I would like to return, but there are no joint programs there.

Hello everyone! Glad there are other nervous people out there who want to discuss their MSW apps ?

I'm applying to the following schools:

Michigan

Chicago

WashU

and the top two MSW programs in my home state

Might apply for Columbia... but I'm nervous about the cost of living in NYC

Anyways, I vacillate between feeling pretty good about getting into programs (lots of relevant work and volunteer experience, pretty strong undergrad record, and I think I'll have good LORs and a personal statement) and feeling like I am not cut out for any of these programs and that I'm delusional for thinking I'd have a chance! Ah!! 

I wish that I had submitted apps earlier but right now I don't think I'll be done until the Dec 1 deadline...

@LisaOh Good luck with the MSW/PHD programs, those are all great schools on your list! For Illinois - Chicago, get your App in asap if you're actually interested in their MSW program. The spots fill up sooooo fast. The dean told me spots fill up within 2 months of the application opening. They review first come first serve for their applications. 

Do you like Maryland? I just heard back from UMD and was accepted into their MSW program! And super excited about it, but have no idea what Baltimore is like. I currently live in Chicago - so I am stay here since I was also accepted into UIC.

@mswanxiety

I completely sympathize with your anxiety! From the mentions of your volunteer experience, academic record and LOR's etc, you should be set. I come from a completely different professional background and virtually no direct SW experience and have already been accepted into 3 programs. ( which truly feels like so unreal )... I think any app submitted by the Dec 1 deadline is still solid. There are only a few schools that review first come first serve. Most only send out decisions in one, two and three waves etc. I applied for UT - austin a month ago and they will not review and release decisions until Mid Jan. Most schools review in batches, so as long as you get in the Dec 1 deadline, you should be good.

I wanted to give myself lots of time because I wanted to know sooner, to financially plan etc.

Haha, I applied for Columbia, but it's not just the cost of living, it's the cost of tuition that makes me regret even applying. I imagine NY would be a very fun place to live at least once in a lifetime though!

UC is my dream school for a MSW program, I just applied.. I am freaking out. Mostly because of how competitive it is and I am unsure of how every program views career changers.

Good Luck with you applications, let me know if you need any advice in the process. I applied to 10 schools and felt that was the most energy I have ever used in a 1-2 month period. I am exhausted haha.

Also - I received my acceptance letter from UMD today but I did not see any mentions of awards. Is this something that typically happens in your offer letter or after you accept admission?

Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know UIC does first come, first serve, which I find super strange btw. 

I lived in NYC for a few years, which basically ruined most other places for me. It's always a comparison. Plus, most my friends koved there after college, and it is so hard to find friends as an adult. 

I dislike Maryland, but again, it is based upon my past experience. Baltimore is a cool and affordable city. Despite what the news would have you believe, it's a pretty safe city outside the violent neighborhoods. Baltimore >>>>> D.C. 

A big consideration for me in choosing a school (other than academics) is field placements and the location itself. 

Hi everyone! Can anyone give me feedback on Yeshiva University's MSW program (in person- two year traditional)? I'm applying to schools mainly in the NYC area and Yeshiva just told me that I would hear back within the next ten days and seemed very positive about my application. However, I've heard mixed reviews about the school itself so any insight yall can give me is appreciated. Thank you! 

@Nai23  I would look into how much Yeshiva's program is theologically driven and just how much focus is on serving diverse populations. I'm not saying this as a knock against them. I just know that the student body as well as the university is very Jewish. If that is what you want, I would just research how it is viewed in the academic community and what alumni have said.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:33 PM, The Finance Girl said:

@simonsays Awesome! All great programs - good luck with your applications!

Is your background in SW as well?

Thank you so much! The Columbia one is coming up and stressing me out! I graduated NYU last spring with a BA in psychology, where I did research in personality disorders and worked in a couples/relationship lab. I also taught sex-ed classes in low-income schools across the city. Now I work in social research, but want to practice clinically eventually! 

Ahh!  Congrats on the apps! Good luck!! That's so many, I feel super limited.

I'm applying to CSU-Northridge and also University of Utah.  I've submitted my app for CSUN and still working on my U of U one. Nervous and anxiously watching my emails about CSUN, it's my top priority as my partner lives in LA area and I'm trying to be closer.  I have almost 10 years of social work related professional work experience (mental health & homelessness agencies), I'm hoping that help me out!

10 hours ago, simonsays said:

Thank you so much! The Columbia one is coming up and stressing me out! I graduated NYU last spring with a BA in psychology, where I did research in personality disorders and worked in a couples/relationship lab. I also taught sex-ed classes in low-income schools across the city. Now I work in social research, but want to practice clinically eventually! 

I am also applying to Columbia and I feel ya! The essays are quite stressful. Any clue of when we would tentatively hear back if we apply by the Dec 1 priority deadline? 

@Nai23

I applied 11/7 and was told I’d hear back Mid - Dec. I also heard from a different admissions contact, they are releasing decisions mid Feb for the applicants that applied Dec 1. So they may have already made my decision or will, but aren’t notifying anyone until Feb. I’ve read on past forums they do this so that students don’t advertise it on social media beforehand etc. I imagine they then get a tons of questions from other prospective students and creates more anxiety. 

@simon_says

20 hours ago, simonsays said:

Just set aside a day or afternoon to hone in on the application and you should be set by Dec 1! I know that’s difficult with TG tomorrow etc. You definitely have the background for it, so you’ll have a solid chance! Just make sure you SOP is spot on. I didn’t have SW experience, but my SOP and LORs were strong and I believe the reason I’ve been accepted into programs.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, LisaOh said:

Thanks for letting me know UIC does first come, first serve, which I find super strange btw. 

I lived in NYC for a few years, which basically ruined most other places for me. It's always a comparison. Plus, most my friends koved there after college, and it is so hard to find friends as an adult. 

I dislike Maryland, but again, it is based upon my past experience. Baltimore is a cool and affordable city. Despite what the news would have you believe, it's a pretty safe city outside the violent neighborhoods. Baltimore >>>>> D.C. 

A big consideration for me in choosing a school (other than academics) is field placements and the location itself. 

Yeah, they just get too many apps to review them all and decide from that pool. So they review as they come and once they fill their spots, they decline the rest. Apparently they get about 900-1000 apps a year..

I’ve heard from lots of people about how great NYC is. Sucks that it’s so expensive. Yeah I can imagine how nothing would feel the same after, and yes making friends as an adult is very difficult. Also hard to find decent people. And if you do - they already typically have their circles set. I think the relationship through grad school are nice too. So hopefully you meet some people in your program, wherever you decide to move. 

I just visited balitmore yesterday and actually liked the campus area and downtown! I previously lived in downtown Detroit, so it reminded me in some ways of that. I think it gets a worse rep than it actually Deserves. There will be crimes bad violence in certain areas etc, but it’s not an unsafe area (where the school and downtown is) IMO.

Chicago is a good place to live - but you will have to deal with brutal winters, and seasonal depression. The winters here are very very depressing. The summers make up for it - so most try to make the most of every moment in the summer. 

@Nai23 @The Finance Girl

Thank you! I'm plugging along, but it's definitely hard to keep anything to the 500 word limit! Let's definitely keep in touch re- Columbia admissions. It's the first app I'm submitting so it's nice to speak with someone else going through it :)

I also attended an info session and they said they have about a 70% admissions rate, so fingers crossed! I'm not sure exactly when we're supposed to hear back, but February feels like a good bet. That being said, I remember looking at CU admissions posts on this forum last year, and some people heard back really late and inconsistently, regardless of whether they were accepted. 

Nai23, what's your background? Also, what track are you applying to? 

Just a heads up to everyone applying or accepted to UMB:

There are 2 students doing field placements where I currently volunteer. Yesterday, I talked to the first year about the field placement process. Turns out that you don't get to select your first field placement! They just give you one regardless of your interests. So it's likely that you'll spend you're entire first year in a field placement outside of your interests. It also sounded like the process in which they do this is a mess.

Just an fyi!

12 hours ago, simonsays said:

@Nai23 @The Finance Girl

Thank you! I'm plugging along, but it's definitely hard to keep anything to the 500 word limit! Let's definitely keep in touch re- Columbia admissions. It's the first app I'm submitting so it's nice to speak with someone else going through it :)

I also attended an info session and they said they have about a 70% admissions rate, so fingers crossed! I'm not sure exactly when we're supposed to hear back, but February feels like a good bet. That being said, I remember looking at CU admissions posts on this forum last year, and some people heard back really late and inconsistently, regardless of whether they were accepted. 

Nai23, what's your background? Also, what track are you applying to? 

I did my undergrad in Psychology and I've been working as a social worker in children's welfare for the past 6 months. Before this, I've worked part time with a behavior change communications organisation, as well as one NGO that works on education for underprivileged children. In my college, i used to work extensively on gender issues and currently doing a fellowship on menstrual health management. My concern is that my GPA is low (2.9) so my chances of getting in are low I think. I am applying for the clinical (health, mental health and disabilities) track but also considering the child welfare one.