MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Hey Everyone!

I've been watching this for a while and decided to join in. I live in Michigan and want to stay in-state. 

Last year I applied to MSU and was waitlisted and then rejected. Last year my application was rushed and sloppy, this year I took a lot more time and am hoping to get in, as it is my first choice. 

This year I applied to:

MSU -Applied 11/29/2019 |

Western Michigan -Applied 11/29/2019 |

Wayne State -Applied 11/29/2019 | Accepted 12/19/2019

On 12/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, RoseLewis said:

Hey guys!! I’ve been a longtime stalker of this page and finally decided to post lol. 

applied -

USC -11/27

NYU- 12/1 accepted 

UPenn- 12/1, interview tomorrow! 

Boston University- 12/16

Columbia- 11/24

Hey congrats! How soon after you applied to NYU did you hear back?

3 hours ago, ClJones95 said:

Hey Everyone!

I've been watching this for a while and decided to join in. I live in Michigan and want to stay in-state. 

Last year I applied to MSU and was waitlisted and then rejected. Last year my application was rushed and sloppy, this year I took a lot more time and am hoping to get in, as it is my first choice. 

This year I applied to:

Wishing you the best of luck!! I was going to apply to MSU but a bit too cold for me :)

3 hours ago, ClJones95 said:

Hey Everyone!

This year I applied to:

Congrats!! WSU's MSW program is very well ranked and have great things from individuals that have went there. Goodluck with MSU - I am sure you'll get in this time if you put alot of effort in! Let us know when you hear back :) and welcome to the thread!!

22 minutes ago, RoseLewis said:

Psychology major, childhood studies minor 3.7 gpa! 

Awesome, you actually encouraged me to submit my app to UPenn. I started and finished everything alonggggg time ago and never hit SUBMIT! A friend in passing mentioned some negative comments about the school and it being extremely difficult to get in, so I never sent it. 

Now I am taking a shot!

7 hours ago, Zayah said:

Awesome, you actually encouraged me to submit my app to UPenn. I started and finished everything alonggggg time ago and never hit SUBMIT! A friend in passing mentioned some negative comments about the school and it being extremely difficult to get in, so I never sent it. 

Now I am taking a shot!

Im SO glad you did. Honestly, I had a great feeling during my interview/waiting in the lobby. Very friendly/welcoming atmosphere. Waiting to hear back about financial info!! Good Luck!

10 hours ago, RoseLewis said:

Im SO glad you did. Honestly, I had a great feeling during my interview/waiting in the lobby. Very friendly/welcoming atmosphere. Waiting to hear back about financial info!! Good Luck!

Oh man. They already got back to me and asked for an interview. I am really nervous, can I PM you for details about yours?

2 minutes ago, DesertRat said:

I just received an email that I didn’t receive a travel grant to the integrated behavioral health recruitment fair. Best of luck to you!

Yes, same here! Totally disappointed, however I knew I was not in the requirements of scope. lol

1 minute ago, Zayah said:

Yes, same here! Totally disappointed, however I knew I was not in the requirements of scope. lol

Darn! It makes me feel a little better knowing there were only 20 travel awards available to social work, nursing and psychiatry applicants! Back to the drudgery of the wait...

16 minutes ago, DesertRat said:

Darn! It makes me feel a little better knowing there were only 20 travel awards available to social work, nursing and psychiatry applicants! Back to the drudgery of the wait...

If it makes you feel any better - it has nothing to do with the admissions decision :).

UT will be announcing decisions in Jan, so just a few more weeks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 8:08 AM, Holygiant said:

What kind of work do you want to do?   How much are you looking for a school that is clinically focused?   

I've really struggled with where to apply, actually.   I am interested in eventually becoming a private therapist, but I am struggling to find schools that seem like they have really good clinical programs and are well known (and seem easily transferable reputation-wise between NY and CA).  

This year I am only applying to UC Berkeley and USC b/c I am in the process of moving to California.   If I don't get into either of them, I will regroup and figure out what I want to do.  I don't have to go this year, but it would dovetail nicely into me moving to CA.   

My previous work is not in a related field, but it kind of is.   I have a ton of experience helping individuals who are neurodivergent overcome a specific challenge.   If you want more details I'd be happy to PM you but what I do is pretty unique and I have a relatively large profile in my field, and I don't want to out myself.   

I want to do direct services at first, so counseling, and then eventually move into nonprofit management/policy. So I am a bit all over. I do want a school that is clinically focused for sure but that is strongly policy based. Honestly U-Chicago is my dream school and seems to have the perfect program as far as a combination of both, after doing more research.

No worries - you don't have to get into the details :).

Sometimes I forget who could be scoping the net.

Hey all!

Like many fo you, I have been anxiously following this thread throughout the application process.  So I finally decided it might make sense to get y’alls thoughts on my own chances for admission.

Currently I’m a senior at a Big 10 university finishing my B.A. and Social Work minor with a 3.35 GPA.  The eventual goal is a career in youth development or school social work.  As such, my resume is packed with volunteer organizations, employment, and course work related to this specialty (if I had to estimate, it is easily at about 3/4 thousand hours).  

I’m hoping to pursue the 2-year program at UT Austin.  I think my application is pretty good as I had all 5 letters of recommendation, decent essays, stated desire to attend even without financial support, submitted prior to the November deadline, and the stats above.  However, none of this has been reassuring.  

I would love to hear what others think, as well as if anyone knows if next week we should be expecting replies?

Hi friends! I stumbled across this while trying to figure out if one of the schools I applied to has interviews...I thought I would share the schools I applied to because with a lot of offices opening back up tomorrow, and the decisions beginning...it's going to be a long next few months. *cue heightened anxiety*

University of Washington (Advanced Standing) - Finishing the essay tonight, hoping to submit it as well (1/1/20). This is my #1 school. Does anyone know if they do interviews, and if those interviews can be virtual? I imagine graduate schools are fairly flexible with that? Flying across the country for an interview will not be easy nor cheap.

University of Denver (Advanced Standing)- Submitted 12/15/19. #2 school. The research I'm completing is actually with a professor who attended Denver for her PhD, and she's one of my LORs, so hopefully that will work in my favor.

University of Michigan (16-Month) - Submitted 12/2/19. 

Virginia Commonwealth University (Two-year) - Back-up school/alma mater. Submitting application soon - isn't due util 1/15/20.

NYU is also on my list, but I don't think I'll be applying there anymore. It's far too expensive as a school, not to mention living there, that I don't think it is realistic for me to even consider. But that's okay with me, I think, as the more I think about it, the less NYU's program fits with my career goals. (Really, Washington is the only one that aligns perfectly, but alas...)

I'm worried that I'm not competitive enough for my applications. I have fairly strong LORs, I think, and I'm a decent writer, but I just haven't really volunteered during undergrad. I have had somewhat of a unique experience while in undergrad, which I explain in my essays. I am also completing research, which I started in May of 2019 and plan to continue until May this year - but I'm worried it isn't enough?  Furthermore, I know that GPA doesn't matter as much for MSWs as it does for say, med school - although I do pride myself on having a high GPA. 

I'm so nervous, y'all. I'm also surprised to see that so many people applied to Columbia, and not that many even to Michigan (according to a recent class profile, 2018 I believe,  I think they had over 1000 applicants)? Hopefully it's a good thing that my schools haven't been as mentioned...but good luck to everyone, and congrats to those who have been accepted already!!! :)

Edited by Liza123

21 hours ago, UT2020 said:

Hey all!

Like many fo you, I have been anxiously following this thread throughout the application process.  So I finally decided it might make sense to get y’alls thoughts on my own chances for admission.

Currently I’m a senior at a Big 10 university finishing my B.A. and Social Work minor with a 3.35 GPA.  The eventual goal is a career in youth development or school social work.  As such, my resume is packed with volunteer organizations, employment, and course work related to this specialty (if I had to estimate, it is easily at about 3/4 thousand hours).  

I’m hoping to pursue the 2-year program at UT Austin.  I think my application is pretty good as I had all 5 letters of recommendation, decent essays, stated desire to attend even without financial support, submitted prior to the November deadline, and the stats above.  However, none of this has been reassuring.  

I would love to hear what others think, as well as if anyone knows if next week we should be expecting replies?

Welcome to the thread!!

If you want to compare yourself to the acceptance rate statistics at UT - Austin, the information is here: https://gradschool.utexas.edu/admissions/where-to-begin/admissions-and-enrollment-statistics

I have found the average acceptance rate fluctuates between 56-62%. With an average GPA of 3.6. However they measure your last 60 credits, so if you calculate your GPA for that, it may be higher than a 3.4. I also think a 3.4 isn't bad at all. 

I do not think GPA matters as much as your SOP, LOR's and Experience. However I also have been out of school for a few years, so I may be measured differently than a straight out of undergrad candidate. 

I believe on your GPA, Volunteer hours and involvement, plus that 5 letters you have a great chance of getting in. I've learned with MSW programs, they mostly want to see your clear plans and reasons for graduate education.

I recently was chatting with an adviser at a top school and she mentioned, she doesn't care if the student comes from Yale or a small school, the admissions committee really uses the SOP as their focus point when choosing to admit candidates.

Also UT- Austin was the longest SOP I had out of all the schools I applied to! I believe I submitted almost 9 pages. Their application was very rigorous!

According to the contact there " Decisions will begin being sent after the January 15th final deadline."

16 hours ago, Liza123 said:

Hi friends! I stumbled across this while trying to figure out if one of the schools I applied to has interviews...I thought I would share the schools I applied to because with a lot of offices opening back up tomorrow, and the decisions beginning...it's going to be a long next few months. *cue heightened anxiety*

University of Washington (Advanced Standing) - Finishing the essay tonight, hoping to submit it as well (1/1/20). This is my #1 school. Does anyone know if they do interviews, and if those interviews can be virtual? I imagine graduate schools are fairly flexible with that? Flying across the country for an interview will not be easy nor cheap.

University of Denver (Advanced Standing)- Submitted 12/15/19. #2 school. The research I'm completing is actually with a professor who attended Denver for her PhD, and she's one of my LORs, so hopefully that will work in my favor.

University of Michigan (16-Month) - Submitted 12/2/19. 

Virginia Commonwealth University (Two-year) - Back-up school/alma mater. Submitting application soon - isn't due util 1/15/20.

NYU is also on my list, but I don't think I'll be applying there anymore. It's far too expensive as a school, not to mention living there, that I don't think it is realistic for me to even consider. But that's okay with me, I think, as the more I think about it, the less NYU's program fits with my career goals. (Really, Washington is the only one that aligns perfectly, but alas...)

I'm worried that I'm not competitive enough for my applications. I have fairly strong LORs, I think, and I'm a decent writer, but I just haven't really volunteered during undergrad. I have had somewhat of a unique experience while in undergrad, which I explain in my essays. I am also completing research, which I started in May of 2019 and plan to continue until May this year - but I'm worried it isn't enough?  Furthermore, I know that GPA doesn't matter as much for MSWs as it does for say, med school - although I do pride myself on having a high GPA. 

I'm so nervous, y'all. I'm also surprised to see that so many people applied to Columbia, and not that many even to Michigan (according to a recent class profile, 2018 I believe,  I think they had over 1000 applicants)? Hopefully it's a good thing that my schools haven't been as mentioned...but good luck to everyone, and congrats to those who have been accepted already!!! :)

Hey!

I think for those coming straight out of undergrad, sometimes it's understood you may not have a ton of experience yet, therefore GPA may be weighed a little more than someone that has been out of school for a while - but has lots of hands on experience. 

I think the research experience and your LOR will help you greatly in your situation.

For schools that do interviews, they do provide a video option - you do not have to fly to campus.

UMICH is an amazing program, I highly considered it, but living in MI is just not an option for me right now :/.

Yes I agree that tons applied to Columbia. I applied as well. Although I won't be attending even if I get accepted. I think it's on everyone's dream school list and I'm sure they all wish they could go, but when you get into comparable programs at half the cost, it's hard to commit. Especially because of the low rate of return financially. I have a couple friends who went there for their MSW and LOVED it but are still drowning in the debt years later. 

I'm finishing my Udub app right now. Makes me nervous as I'm trying to transfer in the SW field from Psychology and only really decided in the past year. I don't have the minimum recommended 2000 hours of service, but have around 1800 instead over the past two years I've been in college. Not sure my chances are great. I have a 3.64 gpa, double major in Psych/Human Sexuality, and have worked as an RA on two different research projects, one is an RO1 NIH funded program. I work for a nonprof but idk man. I always feel like people are way more competitive than me and I have no clue how they do it. Yes I'm graduating w two degrees in three years but bros... this shit is hard 

On 1/2/2020 at 6:41 PM, mswanxiety said:

UMich, WashU, Chicago and about to apply to two programs in my home state. So top 3 programs... UGH 

When did you apply to Uchicago? I am dying to hear back! I think that is going to be my first pick if I get in - unless I receive no scholarships..

Have you heard back form any of the other programs?