MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

19 minutes ago, Zayah said:

Congrats on getting into UIC!! You sound awfully competitive and I bet you'll get into all your programs! What is your top pick?

Thanks Zayah, that's so kind! UChicago is my top pick, but only if I'm offered substantial financial aid. I'm not willing to go $70,000 into debt over a 1 year degree. UIC and IUPUI are priced similarly - even though UIC is out of state for me. Not sure which of those two I would pick if they are my main options. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I should stay in Indianapolis (mostly because of family/life circumstances, professionally it's a no brainer to move to Chicago). UofM I'm really not sure about. Great program obviously, but I really value city life and being surrounded by diversity and Ann Arbor is just so affluent. Racially diverse, sure, but not very diverse socioeconomically speaking. Time will tell! 

I heard decisions may start be released today................................ and Im dying. I really have no idea what to expect.

Apart of me is " you totally got this" and the other part is "how could you possible get into your dream school". 

@mswanxiety

Edited by Zayah

7 minutes ago, HannahJoy said:

Thanks Zayah, that's so kind! UChicago is my top pick, but only if I'm offered substantial financial aid. I'm not willing to go $70,000 into debt over a 1 year degree. UIC and IUPUI are priced similarly - even though UIC is out of state for me. Not sure which of those two I would pick if they are my main options. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I should stay in Indianapolis (mostly because of family/life circumstances, professionally it's a no brainer to move to Chicago). UofM I'm really not sure about. Great program obviously, but I really value city life and being surrounded by diversity and Ann Arbor is just so affluent. Racially diverse, sure, but not very diverse socioeconomically speaking. Time will tell! 

All good points, and you're spot on about Ann arbor. Chicago is a great place for all of what you are looking for, so hoping you get in :)

Gotcha on the life circumstances, etc. Good thing is if you do not move - you do not have to worry about the crazy living prices here in Chicago.

I go back and forth about tuition fees all the time for grad school.

Hi!

I am a BSW student and applied to 

UChicago (submitted mid November)

UIUC(submitted mid Nov and accepted Dec 15 with a full ride and stipend

UIC(submitted mid November)

NEIU( submitted early January)

UMichigan (submitted mid November and accepted yesterday)

I really want to go to the University of Chicago since I really appreciate the diversity of this city. 

36 minutes ago, Emptyinside said:

Hi!

I am a BSW student and applied to 

UChicago (submitted mid November)

UIUC(submitted mid Nov and accepted Dec 15 with a full ride and stipend

UIC(submitted mid November)

NEIU( submitted early January)

UMichigan (submitted mid November and accepted yesterday)

I really want to go to the University of Chicago since I really appreciate the diversity of this city. 

Wow full ride to UIUC? That is amazing!

Goodluck - Sounds like you''ll have no struggles hearing back.

hey y'all sounds like decisions are rolling out! Congrats to those getting acceptances! Can I ask if anyone who's heard back from umich also applied for any special programs? I haven't heard anything yet and starting to get a little antsy even though it's actually still pretty early

9 minutes ago, katp said:

hey y'all sounds like decisions are rolling out! Congrats to those getting acceptances! Can I ask if anyone who's heard back from umich also applied for any special programs? I haven't heard anything yet and starting to get a little antsy even though it's actually still pretty early

Haven't heard from special programs. Although my admissions offer came as a phone call and then an email. did anyone else get a phone call?

Just now, simonsays said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet? I'm so antsy!

AHH NO! But I will let you know as soon as I do. I applied 11/7/19. I'M sure I got rejected.. Either way - I'll update here as soon as I find out!

Would anyone recommend calling umich to inquire about application decisions? I don’t want to pester or frustrate anyone, as I’m sure they get a lot of phone calls. Has anyone done this and had a positive or negative experience they’re willing to share?

17 minutes ago, Zayah said:

AHH NO! But I will let you know as soon as I do. I applied 11/7/19. I'M sure I got rejected.. Either way - I'll update here as soon as I find out!

Zayah! Have faith, you got this! I'll also update y'all. I noticed that their portal changed appearance but not status. 

3 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Zayah! Have faith, you got this! I'll also update y'all. I noticed that their portal changed appearance but not status. 

Haha thank you, but I actually am not competitive enough after seeing all the wonderful candidates on our thread! 

Wishing everyone the best though! Can't wait for everyone to hear back.

And really?? What changed?? I didn't notice anything.

Just now, simonsays said:

@ZayahIt just changed to show my concentration and specialization at the top - I don't think it means anything, just maybe changing the format before they roll out decisions over the next month. 

OH I SEE. Yeah mine did that too! Guys should  I just call them. 

31 minutes ago, savannahopes said:

Would anyone recommend calling umich to inquire about application decisions? I don’t want to pester or frustrate anyone, as I’m sure they get a lot of phone calls. Has anyone done this and had a positive or negative experience they’re willing to share?

I think I'd wait until next week. They just started rolling out this week. 

Hey everyone! 
I’m a little late to be joining this forum, but I’ve been stalking it for awhile now! I applied to UT Austin (my dream school) in October and have been anxiously checking the online portal since November. I wish everyone well on their applications, we’re so close!!!! I’ll update y’all if I found out soon! 

2 minutes ago, Notsosocialworker said:

Hey everyone! 
I’m a little late to be joining this forum, but I’ve been stalking it for awhile now! I applied to UT Austin (my dream school) in October and have been anxiously checking the online portal since November. I wish everyone well on their applications, we’re so close!!!! I’ll update y’all if I found out soon! 

Did you check your portal? I applied in October and heard back yesterday!

1 hour ago, Zayah said:

Did you check your portal? I applied in October and heard back yesterday!

I have lol! If you don’t mind sharing, did you hear back good news?? I’m getting increasingly worried, but hopefully that is the anxiety talking! 

I wish you the absolute best in getting into Columbia, I’m sure calling and simply asking what it means that the concentration is now showing from the portal wouldn’t hurt!

Just now, Notsosocialworker said:

I have lol! If you don’t mind sharing, did you hear back good news?? I’m getting increasingly worried, but hopefully that is the anxiety talking! 

I wish you the absolute best in getting into Columbia, I’m sure calling and simply asking what it means that the concentration is now showing from the portal wouldn’t hurt!

Sure! I was "Denied". So if you have not heard back - it may be good news! :)

Just now, madisonc7 said:

ugh bummer. these people gotta know what they're doing to us w/ these several month long waits.

For real, I feel like when I receive these final decisions, my life can resume again. I just want to commit already!