MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

39 minutes ago, Mmgaf said:

Hi all! I am also impatiently awaiting responses, February can't come fast enough. I submitted all of my applications in November, and applied to:

• UPenn MSW (accepted mid December, still awaiting financial info)
  • UPenn Masters in Social Policy (dual degree program, interviewed Dec 23)
  • Columbia MSW
  • Berkeley MSW
  • BU MSW

Is anyone else applying to dual degrees at Penn? I'm also interviewing at Berkeley for their Child Welfare Scholars program, would love tips if anyone is doing the same. 

Congrats on being accepted into Upenn, how was the interview for the MSW program? What kind of questions did they ask.

12 hours ago, hmd2020 said:

I've applied to Fordham University 12/20 and am desperate to hear back! Let me know if anyone has heard anything! 

I am also finishing up my application for Hunter college, does anyone know expected wait time for Hunter? 

Those are my top two but if I don't get in I'm going to apply to the latest deadlines for NYU and Adelphi.

I'm finishing my BSW now and am applying for advanced standing programs :)

From previous threads - I heard hunter takes a while to respond Feb/march.

Hi everyone! 

Thank you all so much for the information. It feels really good to commiserate with other impatient applicants!!

I applied to Berkeley, UPenn, U Michigan, and Columbia (haven't submitted to Penn yet, waiting on my last recommender to submit letter, all else were submitted late November). 

I got an email last week from Michigan asking me to interview with them on January 21st. I am a little concerned considering an interview isn't a typical part of their application process. Did anyone else receive an interview request? Any idea what this means? 

Stats: Bachelors in psychology, 3.86 gpa, graduated with Deans Medal, presented research on resiliency of foster youth at conferences, 7 years of informal volunteer experience, currently work as program manager of a non-profit providing probono therapy to foster youth. 

2 hours ago, JuliaFrances said:

Hi everyone! 

Thank you all so much for the information. It feels really good to commiserate with other impatient applicants!!

I applied to Berkeley, UPenn, U Michigan, and Columbia (haven't submitted to Penn yet, waiting on my last recommender to submit letter, all else were submitted late November). 

I got an email last week from Michigan asking me to interview with them on January 21st. I am a little concerned considering an interview isn't a typical part of their application process. Did anyone else receive an interview request? Any idea what this means? 

Stats: Bachelors in psychology, 3.86 gpa, graduated with Deans Medal, presented research on resiliency of foster youth at conferences, 7 years of informal volunteer experience, currently work as program manager of a non-profit providing probono therapy to foster youth. 

with your stats I can't imagine it's bad!!

10 hours ago, Mmgaf said:

Hi all! I am also impatiently awaiting responses, February can't come fast enough. I submitted all of my applications in November, and applied to:

• UPenn MSW (accepted mid December, still awaiting financial info)
  • UPenn Masters in Social Policy (dual degree program, interviewed Dec 23)
  • Columbia MSW
  • Berkeley MSW
  • BU MSW

Is anyone else applying to dual degrees at Penn? I'm also interviewing at Berkeley for their Child Welfare Scholars program, would love tips if anyone is doing the same. 

Hey! When did you find out you were accepted to the MSW program? I got an email but not my official awards letter. I think we are in the same boat! I called and they said emails should be going out this week!!

Edited by RoseLewis

4 hours ago, JuliaFrances said:

Hi everyone! 

Sounds like they want to interview you to possibly award you scholarships of some sort. Run with it :)! You’re a very strong candidate!

17 hours ago, JuliaFrances said:

Hi everyone! 

Hey when did you apply to UMich? Interview is probably a good thing!

Anyone else hear back from UIC? I just got an email about starting the student field placement process. But I am still anxiously waiting on other schools before I can make a final decision!

On 1/3/2020 at 7:46 AM, HKC said:

I applied to U Mich, Case Western, Ohio State, and Wisconsin-Madison early in October. 

I heard back (accepted!) from University of Michigan the day before Thanksgiving, and from OSU (also accepted :)) the day after Thanksgiving! I was accepted to Case just last week, and have yet to hear back from Wisconsin. 

I have committed to Michigan!

I applied with a 3.768 gpa, psychology major, and internship & volunteer experience at Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital NICU.

All of you seem to have super strong applications, I hope to see some of you on campus!!

GOOD LUCK

Congratulations about Michigan! Did they request an interview with you? 

Edited by JuliaFrances

58 minutes ago, gracie18 said:

Thank you all for posting! Thought I'd share my own status, and nerves, while patiently awaiting responses!

U Chicago, UNC, Michigan, IUPUI, Berkeley, BC

I've only heard back from BC--accepted with scholarship on Dec. 20th. 

Congrats! What is your topic pick?

Also can I ask what your stats are and scholarship amount to BC? I didn't receive any funding :(, so I am declining my spot there for sure. But I have heard they are really generous with scholarships - so I was surprised.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:20 PM, ClJones95 said:

Hey Everyone!

I've been watching this for a while and decided to join in. I live in Michigan and want to stay in-state. 

Last year I applied to MSU and was waitlisted and then rejected. Last year my application was rushed and sloppy, this year I took a lot more time and am hoping to get in, as it is my first choice. 

This year I applied to:

MSU -Applied 11/29/2019 |

Western Michigan -Applied 11/29/2019 | 1/08/2020

Wayne State -Applied 11/29/2019 | Accepted 12/19/2019

I just heard back from Western Michigan! Accepted! Still waiting to hear back from my #1 which is MSU.

I have a few questions for your guys.

-For Western, they told me I had to respond by Feb 15. I thought with reading some older threads from previous years that technically they could make you respond before some time in April? I dont know if this is true or something I'm making up- I would have too look back to see if I can see where it was mentioned.

-When would anything be sent about scholarships/ financial aid. Is it sent with your notification letter, or is it generally a separate notification?

37 minutes ago, ClJones95 said:

I just heard back from Western Michigan! Accepted! Still waiting to hear back from my #1 which is MSU.

I have a few questions for your guys.

-For Western, they told me I had to respond by Feb 15. I thought with reading some older threads from previous years that technically they could make you respond before some time in April? I dont know if this is true or something I'm making up- I would have too look back to see if I can see where it was mentioned.

-When would anything be sent about scholarships/ financial aid. Is it sent with your notification letter, or is it generally a separate notification?

https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

Congrats! And you can call and ask for an extension - they should be able to give it to you easily. And check out the site above. Scholarships from the school of social work are sent with the acceptance letter (some send it a week after). FASFA scholarships and aid get packaged in Mar/Apr.

Good Luck on MSU :)

Is anybody else getting non-decision-related emails from schools and then having anxiety go through the roof? Denver just sent an email that says " Good news - we received your FAFSA!" in the first line. Don't tease me with good news like that ffs  ?

46 minutes ago, katp said:

Is anybody else getting non-decision-related emails from schools and then having anxiety go through the roof? Denver just sent an email that says " Good news - we received your FAFSA!" in the first line. Don't tease me with good news like that ffs  ?

I got this exact same email and was like WOOF. Come on y'all. Have you applied to any outside fellowships or scholarships with them? I'm not sure if I should or what the regular aid received is. 

For those who have submitted or are about to submit to NYU... What are you submitting for Q4 on the writing prompt? I've written a lot about my work with my nonprofit and don't know what situation they would be looking for me to explain? I handled a hefty sexual harassment case last year against some LGBTQ counterparts last year but don't know if that's too much or if I should just write about some parents at my job who can be the worst but you have to handle it with respect and dignity. 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:44 PM, Zayah said:

Anyone else hear back from UIC? I just got an email about starting the student field placement process. But I am still anxiously waiting on other schools before I can make a final decision!

Hello! If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply? I applied at the end of November and I am still waiting to hear back (slightly panicking). 

Best of luck! 

On 1/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, RoseLewis said:

Hey! When did you find out you were accepted to the MSW program? I got an email but not my official awards letter. I think we are in the same boat! I called and they said emails should be going out this week!!

I received an email from my interviewer a week after my interview, Dec 18th I believe. Just got my offer letter Monday! The holidays probably threw off most normal timing.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:45 PM, Zayah said:

Congrats on being accepted into Upenn, how was the interview for the MSW program? What kind of questions did they ask.

My interview with them was super easy! I had a last minute change in interviewer, so I'm not actually sure I had the typical experience. She took out a bunch of questions that she thought were answered in my application, so I'm not sure of those specifics but we went over the usual--what in your experience makes you want to pursue social work, what kind of career path are you looking for, why do you like Penn's program, what are your strengths and weaknesses etc. 

56 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Also a weird question... how much do you guys pay for rent now? I've been looking at apartments everywhere I have applied and I am dying inside

I have been doing the same--Columbia and Berkeley are depressing as hell, and Penn looks better and better every day. I currently live in DC where there are no good MSW programs, but pay $1275 for a room in a shared house. Columbia and Berkeley would be way more, Penn way less, and BU pretty similar. I can't imagine how people afford Columbia with the insane tuition and NYC cost of living without some serious aid. 

Congrats to everyone who as received acceptances!

I applied to SUNY Stonybrook and Hunter's MSW programs back in October and am still waiting for news from both.
My status for Hunter was updated to 'Pending Interview' before the holidays.

16 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

I got this exact same email and was like WOOF. Come on y'all. Have you applied to any outside fellowships or scholarships with them? I'm not sure if I should or what the regular aid received is. 

I haven't applied for outside funding or denver scholarships but I probably should...it seems that Denver is notoriously spendy!