MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

16 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

For those who have submitted or are about to submit to NYU... What are you submitting for Q4 on the writing prompt? I've written a lot about my work with my nonprofit and don't know what situation they would be looking for me to explain? I handled a hefty sexual harassment case last year against some LGBTQ counterparts last year but don't know if that's too much or if I should just write about some parents at my job who can be the worst but you have to handle it with respect and dignity. 

Sounds like either way would work, just depends what you're comfortable sharing! 

10 hours ago, Mmgaf said:

I have been doing the same--Columbia and Berkeley are depressing as hell, and Penn looks better and better every day. I currently live in DC where there are no good MSW programs, but pay $1275 for a room in a shared house. Columbia and Berkeley would be way more, Penn way less, and BU pretty similar. I can't imagine how people afford Columbia with the insane tuition and NYC cost of living without some serious aid. 

I'm also in DC! 1500 and change for a basement studio now and I'm not looking forward to paying more than that :0/

15 hours ago, Anna H said:

Hello! If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply? I applied at the end of November and I am still waiting to hear back (slightly panicking). 

Best of luck! 

Hi Anna!

I applied 10/13/19. I called the school of social work the first week of November  (312) 996-7096 and spoke to Marybel (Admissions Visiting Dean). You should definitely call and ask about your application. They can provide verbal admissions decisions, so she informed I had just got accepted into the program! I received an official email 11/27/19 when they finally released decisions, and then an actual letter to submit my deposit on Dec 2, 2019.

Your best bet is to call and ask for your admissions decision. I know they started reviewing applications as soon as they started getting them in September and they do not review in batches. They review as first come, first serve :/. 

Sending positive Vibes your way!!! Good LUCK!

11 hours ago, Mmgaf said:

My interview with them was super easy! I had a last minute change in interviewer, so I'm not actually sure I had the typical experience. She took out a bunch of questions that she thought were answered in my application, so I'm not sure of those specifics but we went over the usual--what in your experience makes you want to pursue social work, what kind of career path are you looking for, why do you like Penn's program, what are your strengths and weaknesses etc. 

Awesome I rescheduled mine, so it is coming up - still debating if I should go through with it. I am not set on attending unless I received a scholarship, so I'm cold feet.

Anyone else get the email from UMich that your application has been received/processed and you need to set up your friend account? I saw it and even though the subject line was obviously not a decision - I still couldn't help but think DID I GET IN?? I've also turned off my email notifications, yet find myself checking it impulsively throughout the day. ? But honestly, that's better than receiving an email alert and feeling the disappointment that it isn't one of the schools!

Needless to say, I'm anxious for the semester to start back up - I like being busy with things to do, and it'll help me keep my mind off decisions.

4 hours ago, katp said:

I'm also in DC! 1500 and change for a basement studio now and I'm not looking forward to paying more than that :0/

Oy vey. I'm in Kansas so obviously housing is cheaper but I pay around 550$ a month for my 1bd/1bath and shared living room, kitchen and laundry. And I have barely been able to afford that. Housing prices make it look impossible to exist in literally any city.

16 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

Also a weird question... how much do you guys pay for rent now? I've been looking at apartments everywhere I have applied and I am dying inside

I went to NYU undergrad and living close to campus I paid around 1500. I live in Brooklyn now and pay 1300 for the largest room in a shared (pretty nice for the area) apartment. Living in NYC isn't as crazy as everyone says if you live in Queens, Brooklyn, or above 120th st.  If you have questions about living in NYC feel free to message me! 

Edited by simonsays

53 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Oy vey. I'm in Kansas so obviously housing is cheaper but I pay around 550$ a month for my 1bd/1bath and shared living room, kitchen and laundry. And I have barely been able to afford that. Housing prices make it look impossible to exist in literally any city.

Yes it's going to be so hard. I'm hoping if any schools accept they come with generous financial aid packages otherwise the debt load is going to be brutal

Hey everyone,

Thanks to all who have been posting tips and intel about various programs. They've been helpful as we all anxiously await admissions decisions.

I wanted to share that this afternoon, I received an email offer of admission to University of Michigan's MSW program. I submitted my application on 12/1 (early decision deadline). I applied for U of M's 12-month MicroMasters program for mid-career professionals, and I chose Interpersonal Practice in Integrated Health, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse as my program pathway. The email said I would receive a more formal letter of admission in the next few weeks but that they wanted to share the decision more immediately. No details on scholarship applications or financial aid just yet. Keeping my fingers crossed on those pieces, but thrilled to get into my top choice.

Did anyone else hear back from U of M? Anyone hear about scholarships/financial aid?

1 hour ago, SMLDC said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks to all who have been posting tips and intel about various programs. They've been helpful as we all anxiously await admissions decisions.

I wanted to share that this afternoon, I received an email offer of admission to University of Michigan's MSW program. I submitted my application on 12/1 (early decision deadline). I applied for U of M's 12-month MicroMasters program for mid-career professionals, and I chose Interpersonal Practice in Integrated Health, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse as my program pathway. The email said I would receive a more formal letter of admission in the next few weeks but that they wanted to share the decision more immediately. No details on scholarship applications or financial aid just yet. Keeping my fingers crossed on those pieces, but thrilled to get into my top choice.

Did anyone else hear back from U of M? Anyone hear about scholarships/financial aid?

Congrats! - This is awesome. 

1 hour ago, cmongradschool said:

HELLO!!!! 

I applied to CU’s advanced standing program in November! I just called CU and asked about decision release dates. The gentleman said that the system is current down, however, decisions will be release by Monday, January 13th, until February 1st!!!!!!! 

THE ANXIETY

OH WOW. Decisions are going to start rolling in!!!!

Thanks for everyone who has shared this anxiety and contributed on this thread! Let the decisions roll.

Sending positive vibes that everyone gets into their dream program and it all works out!! Many congrats for those who have already heard back, excited for all of us and our future as social workers to help others and make a difference.

?

16 hours ago, NTN244 said:

Congrats to everyone who as received acceptances!

I applied to SUNY Stonybrook and Hunter's MSW programs back in October and am still waiting for news from both.
My status for Hunter was updated to 'Pending Interview' before the holidays.

Hi there, those are also the two schools i'm applying to! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I'm a 3.7 Psych BA student, have been in a Developmental Stress and Prevention research lab for two years, treasurer of Psi Chi, and am in the Psychology peer mentoring program at SBU. I'm so worried that my app - especially my essay - won't be of the same caliber of some of the other wonderful individuals applying, and Hunter has my dream program. Do you have any advice, or helpful tips? I'm shaking in my boots. Best of luck to you, and everyone else on the forum!! 

5 hours ago, cmongradschool said:

HELLO!!!! 

I applied to CU’s advanced standing program in November! I just called CU and asked about decision release dates. The gentleman said that the system is current down, however, decisions will be release by Monday, January 13th, until February 1st!!!!!!! 

THE ANXIETY

Ahh any idea if this applies to regular MSW applicants as well?

On 1/9/2020 at 9:33 AM, Zayah said:

Awesome I rescheduled mine, so it is coming up - still debating if I should go through with it. I am not set on attending unless I received a scholarship, so I'm cold feet.

Yeah I wouldn't be too worried, but interviews definitely vary based on the interviewer's style! I received 20k in merit scholarships, I have no idea if that's normal or high or low for them. Had a 3.56 at a T20 School, BA in Psych Minors in Education and Public Policy, taught full time through an Americorps program last school year if that gives you any reference.

21 hours ago, NTN244 said:

Congrats to everyone who as received acceptances!

I applied to SUNY Stonybrook and Hunter's MSW programs back in October and am still waiting for news from both.
My status for Hunter was updated to 'Pending Interview' before the holidays.

I applied to SBU back in October as well! They said they were going to start reviewing applications after the New Year so I am guessing that they are starting to look at them now! Good luck :) Did you apply to the full time or part time program?

Hey all! I've been reading this forum for months but just created an account to be able to post today. I'm graduating with my BSW in May from the University of Indianapolis and I have applied to some MSW programs and some MSW/PhD programs for Fall 2020. 

Stats: 3.985 GPA, GRE: 157V, 150Q, 6.5AW. Two practicums & completing independent research project with Honors College. 

I applied to IUPUI for just an MSW on 11/19 - haven't heard back. 

I applied to UIC for just an MSW on 11/19 - heard back yesterday by calling their office to inquire about decision. Was accepted!! They told me they had *just* reviewed my file that day, so if you applied after 11/19, they probably haven't gotten to your file yet. 

Applied to UofM and UChicago for joint MSW/PhD on Dec 1 - haven't heard back. 

I'll keep everyone updated as things happen! So excited for all of us! 

1 hour ago, HannahJoy said:

Hey all! I've been reading this forum for months but just created an account to be able to post today. I'm graduating with my BSW in May from the University of Indianapolis and I have applied to some MSW programs and some MSW/PhD programs for Fall 2020. 

Stats: 3.985 GPA, GRE: 157V, 150Q, 6.5AW. Two practicums & completing independent research project with Honors College. 

I applied to IUPUI for just an MSW on 11/19 - haven't heard back. 

I applied to UIC for just an MSW on 11/19 - heard back yesterday by calling their office to inquire about decision. Was accepted!! They told me they had *just* reviewed my file that day, so if you applied after 11/19, they probably haven't gotten to your file yet. 

Applied to UofM and UChicago for joint MSW/PhD on Dec 1 - haven't heard back. 

I'll keep everyone updated as things happen! So excited for all of us! 

Congrats on getting into UIC!! You sound awfully competitive and I bet you'll get into all your programs! What is your top pick?