MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

11 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

I'm finishing my Udub app right now. Makes me nervous as I'm trying to transfer in the SW field from Psychology and only really decided in the past year. I don't have the minimum recommended 2000 hours of service, but have around 1800 instead over the past two years I've been in college. Not sure my chances are great. I have a 3.64 gpa, double major in Psych/Human Sexuality, and have worked as an RA on two different research projects, one is an RO1 NIH funded program. I work for a nonprof but idk man. I always feel like people are way more competitive than me and I have no clue how they do it. Yes I'm graduating w two degrees in three years but bros... this shit is hard 

Why are you nervous?? I think you have a great chance of getting in, you sound very competitive. MSW' programs are really not that competitive to get into. Even at the most elite schools, we still see a 50%+ acceptance rate :).  I've skimmed all the threads from the last couple of years on MSW programs before I started applying and it seems like majority of people get in that put effort in the application. I saw one year a student got into UPenn with a 3.0, but hands on experience. 

I applied to U Mich, Case Western, Ohio State, and Wisconsin-Madison early in October. 

I heard back (accepted!) from University of Michigan the day before Thanksgiving, and from OSU (also accepted :)) the day after Thanksgiving! I was accepted to Case just last week, and have yet to hear back from Wisconsin. 

I have committed to Michigan!

I applied with a 3.768 gpa, psychology major, and internship & volunteer experience at Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital NICU.

All of you seem to have super strong applications, I hope to see some of you on campus!!

GOOD LUCK

1 hour ago, HKC said:

I applied to U Mich, Case Western, Ohio State, and Wisconsin-Madison early in October. 

I heard back (accepted!) from University of Michigan the day before Thanksgiving, and from OSU (also accepted :)) the day after Thanksgiving! I was accepted to Case just last week, and have yet to hear back from Wisconsin. 

I have committed to Michigan!

I applied with a 3.768 gpa, psychology major, and internship & volunteer experience at Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women's Hospital NICU.

All of you seem to have super strong applications, I hope to see some of you on campus!!

GOOD LUCK

Congratulations! You are going to LOVE ann arbor!

3 hours ago, Zayah said:

Why are you nervous?? I think you have a great chance of getting in, you sound very competitive. MSW' programs are really not that competitive to get into. Even at the most elite schools, we still see a 50%+ acceptance rate :).  I've skimmed all the threads from the last couple of years on MSW programs before I started applying and it seems like majority of people get in that put effort in the application. I saw one year a student got into UPenn with a 3.0, but hands on experience. 

I think I'm nervous because I'm still stuck in the mindset of the competitiveness that comes with Psych PhD applications, honestly! Also maybe it's just the waiting that adds to that anxiety! There's no real affirmation until acceptances start rolling out, you know?

19 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

I think I'm nervous because I'm still stuck in the mindset of the competitiveness that comes with Psych PhD applications, honestly! Also maybe it's just the waiting that adds to that anxiety! There's no real affirmation until acceptances start rolling out, you know?

I completely agree!!! I actually didn't think I would get into any program because of my lack in SW experience.... Every time I would hear an acceptance decision - I was genuinely shocked! But it proves that what makes you competitive is truly unique to an individual package/application you present! So I have found those who have read/reviewed my application and SOP were able to be truly unbiased and rating me versus strangers on the internet LOL.

Although it is so easy to compare when you see other candidates with a gizzillion volunteer hours and super high GPA's.

All in all - DO not sweat it, I am sure you will get in. I think you as a candidate knows yourself best and if you have what they are looking for - and it seems you do :)

22 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

I feel that! I'm working in econ right now and trying to switch to social work but econ is hypercompetitive so I'm used to that vibe where it's pretty cut throat. I honestly have no clue where I stand in the sw pool so I'm mentally preparing myself to have to wait for another year. Good luck to you! 

8 hours ago, Zayah said:

When did you apply to Uchicago? I am dying to hear back! I think that is going to be my first pick if I get in - unless I receive no scholarships..

Have you heard back form any of the other programs?

haven't heard from anyone.  I applied for the dec 1 deadlines so don't expect to hear for a little while. kicking myself for not applying in October cause I'd know by now!!

I just realized that Denver will notify me in less than a mont, since I submitted the application by the early decision deadline! Eep!!!! I got my dates all mixed up and thought it was much later, but honestly I just want to know!! Although since Seattle is my top school, it is frustrating that I may not hear back until late March, and I'll have possibly Denver and Michigan offering acceptance + great financial aid. I won't want to commit until I know from Seattle (I know I'll go there w/o hesitation), but then, what if Seattle rejects me? Not to mention, hearing back in late March does not allow a lot of time to pack and move following graduation, seeing as I live on the other side of the country!. (I applied for Advanced Standing, which starts mid-summer).

In other news, I am currently struggling to decide whether or not to apply to my alma mater, VCU - it'd be for the two-year program (I didn't want to do the Advanced Standing here, since it starts like a week after graduation and I've heard it's HELLA intense). I know I can always move after grad school, and my best friend is staying in the city, so that'd be nice, but the idea of staying in this location for two more years...lord help. Even if VCU is the only school that accepts me, I don't think I would go. I'd rather move to Seattle after graduation, take a gap year, and then reapply. Or if Denver accepts, I can see myself going there. Not sure about Michigan, I need to visit the campus to know (the winters would be brutal).

This is not to say that VCU is a bad school - the field office is a disaster lol, but the professors I've had are great, the program is great, etc. It's other reasons I want to leave that have really little to do with VCU itself. But VCU has been my back-up school, and now I'm not sure if it's even worth it? Like I don't want to even have it as an option, ya know?

Sorry for the ramble! But writing this all out has helped with some of the stress that accumulated since I realized I'd be hearing back from Denver sooner rather than later ahaha. Hopefully we will all know soon! 

Just now, Liza123 said:

Okay sorry, I have another comment to make, about Denver! Does anyone know their acceptance rate for the MSW program?

I decided to google it and to my surprise, something came up - I haven't had luck in the past. According to this website, the acceptance rate is 88%, but I wonder how recent that stat is, and if it's changed?

2 hours ago, mswanxiety said:

haven't heard from anyone.  I applied for the dec 1 deadlines so don't expect to hear for a little while. kicking myself for not applying in October cause I'd know by now!!

It’s okay - they are not releasing decisions until the new few weeks anyway! I’m counting the days down.

Hi, friends! I also applied to UMich and U Chicago the week of Thanksgiving, and I finished applying to the University of Minnesota last night. Anxiously waiting to hear back! Is the consensus that applying the week of Thanksgiving means we might hear back in mid-late January? Also I am very glad that there is a forum of other students to stress out with!

Hi! I am so glad there is this thread! I am applying to advance standing programs as I am finishing up my BSW degree this spring.  I am applying for these programs:

USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck - submitted1/3/20

University of Denver- submitted 1/4/20

Columbia University - will submit by 2/15/20

Since I am applying for advance standing I have to do a field instructor evaluation for Columbia and I don't start my field placement until January 14. I asked if I could supplement a different recommendation to get my application in sooner however they want the field evaluation. So I have to wait until the last minute. I worry the late application will hurt my chances!

I have a 4.07 GPA in my BSW program, and a 3.86 cumulative for my whole undergrad. I have 2.5 years of volunteer experience. I also have about 3.5 years of work experience in non-profit/SW field.

I feel like the essays were the hardest part. However, I wasn't planning to apply to grad schools and life changed at the last minute so I did all my essays for the three schools in 1.5 weeks. My brain is dead! 

Is anyone else applying for these schools while still in their BSW program and  applying for advance standing? What do you guys think my chances are? I already want to know their decision!

Edited by Shuklaklakla

7 hours ago, savannahopes said:

Hi, friends! I also applied to UMich and U Chicago the week of Thanksgiving, and I finished applying to the University of Minnesota last night. Anxiously waiting to hear back! Is the consensus that applying the week of Thanksgiving means we might hear back in mid-late January? Also I am very glad that there is a forum of other students to stress out with!

Have you head back from U chicago?? I have never had so much anxiety before, and this is the last school I am waiting on! We need a brave soul to contact admissions. Please post on here when you hear back - I applied in similar timing.

Yes anyone who applied before Dec 1, should hear back between late jan - early feb.

Edited by Zayah

3 hours ago, Zayah said:

Have you head back from U chicago?? I have never had so much anxiety before, and this is the last school I am waiting on! We need a brave soul to contact admissions. Please post on here when you hear back - I applied in similar timing.

Yes anyone who applied before Dec 1, should hear back between late jan - early feb.

Hey Zayah! 

Do I remember you saying you applied to BU?? If so, did you hear back? Anxiously waiting for them! 

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, RoseLewis said:

Hey Zayah! 

Do I remember you saying you applied to BU?? If so, did you hear back? Anxiously waiting for them! 

Thanks! 

I did! I’ve only heard one email communication saying they received my application and that they’re really busy and will be sending decisions out mid Feb this year. 

I have heard from Boston College and was accepted and have little doubt about BU. As they seem to have a 70% acceptance rate for MSW. 

If you got into UPenn - you’ll be fine for BU.

I've applied to Fordham University 12/20 and am desperate to hear back! Let me know if anyone has heard anything! 

I am also finishing up my application for Hunter college, does anyone know expected wait time for Hunter? 

Those are my top two but if I don't get in I'm going to apply to the latest deadlines for NYU and Adelphi.

I'm finishing my BSW now and am applying for advanced standing programs :)

On 12/9/2019 at 7:00 PM, HarmReducer said:

Hi there,

I'm just about finished with my MSW applications for Fall 2020. Just waiting on my last (slow!) recommender to make time to write the last two letters.

• Ohio State (online) - last piece submitted 12/2
  • LSU (online) - waiting on last recommender
  • UMD Baltimore (in person) - waiting on last recommender

I know that on Ohio's website it says that admissions are rolling, with an average notification time of 3–5 weeks. The UMD website doesn't give a time frame—it just says basically "keep checking back every week after completion." And I have no idea at all about LSU.

A bit about me:

• 38-year-old career changer (from publishing—last degree in 2012)
  • Areas of interest: substance abuse; harm reduction; family systems; trauma; psychedelic therapy; marginalized communities
  • 3.67 undergrad GPA (B.A. Communication / B.A. English)
  • 3.74 graduate GPA (M.A. Linguistics)
  • 4.0 GPA during my recent return to community college the past 3 semesters to gain relevant coursework
  • GRE: 170 V / 155 Q / 4.5 AW
  • Crisis line and harm reduction volunteer work

Ohio is my first choice because they have a substance misuse specialization and there's a professor there whose work I admire. Plus,  I'd rather do online than in-person. UMD is second because I am hoping to move back to my hometown of Baltimore at some point in the next little while anyway, plus it has proximity to the research at Johns Hopkins (for which I have vague hopes for some kind of externship or volunteer research assistant position there eventually). LSU is third because they are affordable and fulfill my basic criteria of being asynchronously online, with enough of a generalist bent that I could hopefully kind of make it what I want it to be.

Right now I am mostly focusing on mentally willing my professor to finish my recommendations, plus obsessively checking my Ohio portal because it says "in review."

I received a response from Ohio State swiftly. I found their application process to be the most cumbersome (the way they do not notify your recommenders until AFTER you've submitted the application, for instance), but the decision was quick. Hopefully you have heard back. I had lower GPAs for undergrad and grad but was offered admission to the program.

Hi all! I am also impatiently awaiting responses, February can't come fast enough. I submitted all of my applications in November, and applied to:

• UPenn MSW (accepted mid December, still awaiting financial info)
  • UPenn Masters in Social Policy (dual degree program, interviewed Dec 23)
  • Columbia MSW
  • Berkeley MSW
  • BU MSW

Is anyone else applying to dual degrees at Penn? I'm also interviewing at Berkeley for their Child Welfare Scholars program, would love tips if anyone is doing the same.