MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Just now, Zayah said:

For real, I feel like when I receive these final decisions, my life can resume again. I just want to commit already!

I just want to know like.... where I'm going to be. I don't do well with long term uncertainty and I was to find an apartment and figure out if I can take my ESA with me or if I should give him to my partner for a year until my partner can move to wherever I am... ugh. Idk so much rides on these decisions it's just unnerving.

5 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

I just want to know like.... where I'm going to be. I don't do well with long term uncertainty and I was to find an apartment and figure out if I can take my ESA with me or if I should give him to my partner for a year until my partner can move to wherever I am... ugh. Idk so much rides on these decisions it's just unnerving.

I completely agree and feel the same. It's like once we heard back we have 3 months to pick up our lives and move..

New to the forum but so appreciate everyone's honesty and input! Good to see that I'm in good anxiety graces with you all. At least it's only a few more days/weeks of uncertainty!!

Would anyone have insight into the online acceptance rates for CU, USC, and UDenver?? Haven't found any notable differences between online vs. traditional in Google searches, so was hoping crowd-sourcing would be more helpful.

TIA!!

14 minutes ago, mswanxiety said:

No, what did it say?

It invited me to apply to one of their certificate programs that I expressed interest in on my SOP.. Although, you can't apply unless you've been admitted.... (But It provided a direct link with my info to apply)

Feeling super mixed messages. Nothing is in my PORTAL though.

Edited by Zayah

23 minutes ago, Zayah said:

It invited me to apply to one of their certificate programs that I expressed interest in on my SOP.. Although, you can't apply unless you've been admitted.... (But It provided a direct link with my info to apply)

Feeling super mixed messages. Nothing is in my PORTAL though.

oh yeah i got that too @ this pt just assuming i wont hear anything until march lol

14 minutes ago, mswanxiety said:

oh yeah i got that too @ this pt just assuming i wont hear anything until march lol

Ehh. IDK I am hopeful for something today. I will check my portal in the evening and let you guys know if I see anything!

2 hours ago, Zayah said:

Just got an email from UC and FREAKEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. Was unrelated to my admissions decision. ahhh.

Anyone else get that?

I got this too-- my jaw dropped for a second until I realized it was unrelated. We're in this together! 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:05 PM, JuliaFrances said:

Congratulations about Michigan! Did they request an interview with you? 

Thank you! And no, they didn't. I did call them prior to submitting my application just to ask some questions about the supplementary statement other documents required, but that's all the contact I had with them. Are you applying?

On 1/10/2020 at 5:24 PM, HKC said:

Thank you! And no, they didn't. I did call them prior to submitting my application just to ask some questions about the supplementary statement other documents required, but that's all the contact I had with them. Are you applying?

Yeah! I applied late November, they requested an interview for the 21st of January. 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:07 AM, claricestarling said:

Hi there, those are also the two schools i'm applying to! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I'm a 3.7 Psych BA student, have been in a Developmental Stress and Prevention research lab for two years, treasurer of Psi Chi, and am in the Psychology peer mentoring program at SBU. I'm so worried that my app - especially my essay - won't be of the same caliber of some of the other wonderful individuals applying, and Hunter has my dream program. Do you have any advice, or helpful tips? I'm shaking in my boots. Best of luck to you, and everyone else on the forum!! 

Your stats have me worried now, haha. I was a History & Linguistics major (3.6), with a focus on diasporic groups from South Asia and sociolinguistics. My main experiences have been working in the education field, especially with immigrant communities in New York. I've been in South Korea for the last two years teaching in a rural town and working with North Korean defectors to help them learn English and adjust to everyday life. 

I am a little worried since I have a two year gap between finishing undergrad and applying for graduate school, and also that I don't really have a social work background. I'm definitely feeling nervous about my essay and overall application as well. Hunter is definitely my dream program too! My old neighbor, who is a social worker, actually went to Hunter and highly recommends their program. My best tip would be to be patient at this point if everything has been submitted, and I say that as I check the portal nearly every day for any sort of update. 

Have you had any updates at all? My application has the 'Pending Interview' status, so I'm hoping that means I have a shot.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:05 PM, Carolina310 said:

I applied to SBU back in October as well! They said they were going to start reviewing applications after the New Year so I am guessing that they are starting to look at them now! Good luck :) Did you apply to the full time or part time program?

That's good to hear! Fingers crossed that we hear something soon. Full time! I'm hoping to get through most of it in the Manhattan campus, but I read that we would have to take at least one class in Stony Brook. Do you happen to know if that would be one class a semester or one during the entire two years?

Good luck & speedy updates to both of you!

Anyone have insight on when BU releases decisions? I'd applied there as more of a backup, and am surprised they're taking as long as the top schools! Looks like in past years they may not have released decisions until late Feb/Early March?

3 hours ago, Mmgaf said:

Anyone have insight on when BU releases decisions? I'd applied there as more of a backup, and am surprised they're taking as long as the top schools! Looks like in past years they may not have released decisions until late Feb/Early March?

The email I got when I submitted my application said late February. 

Did anyone else get into Pitt? I got my letter in the mail yesterday and it says something about viewing/accepting your admissions online, but I don't have any info on logging into my my.Pitt account for the first time. I'm not ready to accept, but I want to look around the site a bit. 

4 hours ago, Mmgaf said:

They emailed me in Dec, and said they will release late Feb/March! And I applied way back in early Nov.They said they had lots of applicants this year, so they are running behind.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:41 PM, amb22 said:

hi! has anyone received an admissions decision from columbia? :) (good luck to everyone!)

Nothing yet! From the forums I have read from past application cycles it looks like decisions go out late January/early February but I think it changes year to year.