MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Just FYI - I have friends who are currently going to CU (they started Fall 2019) and they both got their acceptances Feb 11 and Feb 18 2019 respectively(they applied for the priority deadline) and said that people they knew got acceptances all over the place between Jan, Feb & even later... so I don't think we need to panic right now at all :) 

53 minutes ago, JuliaFrances said:

Don't worry! It is still mid January and most decisions come out late January-Febuary.

Also, remember the context! This is a super skewed sample, generally people post good news, not no news, so it looks like everyone is getting accepted and you aren't, but this sample ain't reliable and doesn't reflect the general population. 

Hi All. I've been following along for a while now, but thought that I'd post now in reply. I applied to U Chicago on 12/1 and NYU (Shanghai) on 1/10 for full-time SW programs (also applied to the full-time MBA program at UW-Madison, but that's outside this particular forum). I got confirmations that my applications were complete, but otherwise haven't heard anything back yet. Here's to hoping!

So I called University of Denver today and was told that my application is under review. The woman I talked to also said that they release decisions as they go, rather than a handful on a particular weekday. Thought I would let those who applied to Denver know! :) 

On 1/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, UT2020 said:

Hey has anyone else heard from UT? I’m definitely over stressing but I still haven’t heard even though I applied in November!

Hi there!

I received my acceptance notification this morning. I applied on November 25, ten days after the priority deadline. I was stressing during the wait, too, but you should be hearing soon! When I emailed the director of admissions on Monday, I was told that applicants will be notified within the next 10-12 weeks. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard back this morning. Good luck! 

18 hours ago, mmddaa said:

Has anyone heard back from UChicago or know of when they’re sending decisions out? 

I received an e-mail around 2pm today that I had an update.  I got accepted!  I was also offered a $24,000 Dean's Distinguished Leadership Award - I don't have a compass for if that is a lot or a little with UChicago.  This is for the 4 quarters Advanced Standing program.

I have had a sort of stunned reaction so far.  I'm intimidated by the thought of leaving my $40k/year job and moving to Chicago as a full time student, but it's my dream school!

22 minutes ago, CashewGuy said:

I received an e-mail around 2pm today that I had an update.  I got accepted!  I was also offered a $24,000 Dean's Distinguished Leadership Award - I don't have a compass for if that is a lot or a little with UChicago.  This is for the 4 quarters Advanced Standing program.

I have had a sort of stunned reaction so far.  I'm intimidated by the thought of leaving my $40k/year job and moving to Chicago as a full time student, but it's my dream school!

wow congrats!! that's amazing. when did you apply?

I got information from admissions that decisions for two year track are coming out this Friday and the next and advanced standing cane out last Friday 1/17. So we should all hear back soon for the two year track! I’m feeling confident about hearing from UC.

Hoping UChicago is generous with scholarships!

Edited by Zayah

On 1/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, CashewGuy said:

Congrats!! $24k is quite generous for

on year. It’s half your tuition!

31 minutes ago, Liza123 said:

So ready to hear back from Denver...hopefully this week! Although I hate that after Denver, it'll likely be 1.5 months before hearing back from Washington. 

Something in my heart tells me not this week. Feel like it's going to be the second week of Feb.

3 hours ago, Zayah said:

I got information from admissions that decisions for two year track are coming out this Friday and the next and advanced standing cane out last Friday 1/17. So we should all hear back soon for the two year track! I’m feeling confident about hearing from UC.

Hoping UChicago is generous with scholarships!

Do you know if this would only be for those who applied by the dec 1 deadline?

Hi everyone! I have my first interview next week and am freaking out a little! I'm in the Philly area and am originally from NJ, so anyone with questions just let me know. I fully agree with the post a while back detailing the culture/awful housing/and Rutger's not being in a great area, for those interested.

I wanted to stay in the area and applied to Widener and West Chester. I decided against Penn at the last minute because of friends who have graduated from the program and felt it was not worth the extremely high price tag. They also were really pretentious on the phone when I was asking questions and kept saying things like "IF you're offered admission.." and ..meh. Widener is my first choice for the trauma clinical focus, and knowing several people who loved it there. West Chester is a backup if they offer a better financial package with assistantship. I applied to assistantships for both as well. I finished applications a few weeks ago, and last week heard back from Widener to choose an interview date (Scheduled for 1/28, eeeep)

Stats are 4.0 in sociology with a concentration in deviance, 2 + years experience in research and crisis line intervention

Good luck to everyone!