MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

4 hours ago, Zayah said:

Yay!! Congrats! Did you get a scholarship as well? Are you committing??

I did get a scholarship! Honestly, not sure where I'll end up considering the high living costs--which may outweigh the scholarship's value in the long run. I was most excited to hear back from Chicago and Michigan, so I will probably wait to hear my financial aid package from Michigan before making any decisions! I'm starting to realize how large the debt burden will be, which is a little scary... I do plan to visit both Michigan and Chicago--since I'm in driving distance of both. 

8 hours ago, gracie18 said:

I did get a scholarship! Honestly, not sure where I'll end up considering the high living costs--which may outweigh the scholarship's value in the long run. I was most excited to hear back from Chicago and Michigan, so I will probably wait to hear my financial aid package from Michigan before making any decisions! I'm starting to realize how large the debt burden will be, which is a little scary... I do plan to visit both Michigan and Chicago--since I'm in driving distance of both. 

Can I ask how much you received?!

Yes it’s so difficult to go into debt for a MSW, that’s why I applied to state schools as well. But at the same time there are so many pros/cons to each and we’ll have to just weigh it out. And if a program really caters to your speciality, definitely may be worth the debt in the long run. 

Ann Arbor is pricey - but not as expensive as chicago. Ypsilanti is 20 minutes away, and is a lot cheaper to live in as well. And I’ve looked in Hyde Park, not terribly expensive if you can find room mates. But definitely would be a funner experience than Ann Arbor. Both programs are amazing, so I don’t think you make a bad choice either way. I had a friend in the UMICH program and she loved it, she got a job at a hospital for medical social work immediately after. 

I wish grad schools also offered scholarships for living expenses. 

But all in all - I think everyone should always consider what their 5 year plan is and if grad school and loans are worth it in the long run. I know I really went back and forth while applying, and remember saying I’d never go to UC or CU, that’s way too expensive for the same education id get elsewhere. But the more research I’ve done and the speciality area I want to work in, I realize it was an investment I was willing to take. Although I wouldn’t take without scholarships. Because I can’t imagine paying back $100k (even if this were a different field). So just depends again, what you’re going to do with your degree and how much the schools program is worth to you personally. 

When you go to visit either or - I can list a few fun/cool things to on campus if you’re interested. 

Good Luck!

hi everyone! i have been following along and have found the forum to be helpful, so decided to jump in. congratulations to everyone hearing back!

i applied to u.mich (12/1), u chicago (12/1), UNC (12/10), and u maryland (in progress - waiting on those last recs to get uploaded)

i got the call from u.mich on 1/13, but no updates to portal/formal acceptance letter yet 

heard back from u chicago on 1/24 and got 30k - curious if anyone has talked to the office and heard explicitly that these awards are renewable in the same amount for year 2?  

my final decision will ultimately depend on $ and total COA bc debt gives me the scaries! 

38 minutes ago, noooodle said:

hi everyone! i have been following along and have found the forum to be helpful, so decided to jump in. congratulations to everyone hearing back!

i applied to u.mich (12/1), u chicago (12/1), UNC (12/10), and u maryland (in progress - waiting on those last recs to get uploaded)

i got the call from u.mich on 1/13, but no updates to portal/formal acceptance letter yet 

heard back from u chicago on 1/24 and got 30k - curious if anyone has talked to the office and heard explicitly that these awards are renewable in the same amount for year 2?  

my final decision will ultimately depend on $ and total COA bc debt gives me the scaries! 

sounds like they're renewable for yr 2!

So to keep our minds off the two days of no news...what concentration and specializations (if any) did everyone apply for? What do y'al want to do in the career field?

1 hour ago, noooodle said:

I personally emailed them and was told it was renewable in year 2. 

given you maintain a good academic record. 

Edited by Zayah

Just now, savannahlindsey said:

Has anyone who applied advanced standing heard back from UT? I applied back in November but haven't heard anything yet and I'm so nervous

Omg literally soooo happy I’m not the only one!!!

I have heard so many different things on when we will hear back so I totally feel the nervousness!!

Hi there everyone!

Congrats to all those who have been accepted so far :) 

I haven't seen too much discussion about CA schools and was wondering if there is anyone else who has applied to any Cal States or UC's that have heard back? I applied to CSULB, CSUF, UCLA, and UC Berkeley. I have a 3.38 advanced GPA, solid references, and almost 2 years of social service experience including one year working abroad as an ESL teacher and 8 months working for a nonprofit mental health agency (population = foster youth.) Some days I feel confident about my chances and some days I'm like LOL yeah right.

So anyways, I'm here like the rest of you to chat and wait not so patiently for these decisions to roll around. I just did my FAFSA application and will now start looking into some scholarships I can apply to. This process feels never ending but hopefully it will all be worth it! 

Finally submitted my Penn app!!! And that's a wrap on applying! I'm going out to celebrate! Huzzah y'all. 

It definitely wasn't as well written as my other apps due to total exhaustion but I did have a works cited so maybe that will earn me points lol.

Edited by madisonc7

19 hours ago, savannah723 said:

Wait that makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one either!! I think I'm right on the cusp of being able to get in so the waiting is killing me

I didn’t apply for advanced standing, but I feel your pain! Especially seeing others applying later and getting accepted is making me worried! I’m hoping 1/31 or 2/3 is when they start rolling out more decisions!! 

18 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

Finally submitted my Penn app!!! And that's a wrap on applying! I'm going out to celebrate! Huzzah y'all. 

It definitely wasn't as well written as my other apps due to total exhaustion but I did have a works cited so maybe that will earn me points lol.

I submitted my Penn app yesterday too! I'm sure yours is better than you thought though. Congrats on getting you applications done! Fingers crossed for both of us!

On 1/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, Liza123 said:

So to keep our minds off the two days of no news...what concentration and specializations (if any) did everyone apply for? What do y'al want to do in the career field?

I applied for macro programs.  After my 1st semester, I might also apply to do a dual MPA program.  I want to work with policy or community planning and organizing.  You?

1 minute ago, Css1087 said:

I applied for macro programs.  After my 1st semester, I might also apply to do a dual MPA program.  I want to work with policy or community planning and organizing.  You?

Ooh, a macro friend! So rare to find yet much needed. :') I applied for interpersonal practice at Michigan; the Children & Youth concentration at Denver; and the Community-Centered Integrative Practice concentration at Washington. I hope to become a school social worker, and maybe move up into educational policy after a while. I also have intentions of opening a homeless shelter for LGBTQ+ youth, or working with that population in some way. Washington's CCIP concentration really seems to encompass both micro- and macro-level skills, which is honestly why it's my top choice (here's to waiting until the end of March!).

3 hours ago, msw2020waiting said:

I just took a look at my UChicago essay and found 2 grammar mistakes. English isn't my first language, and I'm so scared that the admissions would think I'm bad at it now.

I feel like at the Master's-level, a lot of schools take a more holistic approach when reviewing applications; so hopefully they don't put too much emphasis on grammar. Making two mistakes certainly doesn't indicate being bad at a language! It's impressive alone to be bi- or multi-lingual. :) 

Edited by Liza123

On 1/25/2020 at 11:12 AM, Liza123 said:

Clinical concentration!

how about you?

23 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

I felt that way with half my essays!