MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

23 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

No, I didn't do advanced standing for either school. BC did say on or around Feb 15 but I didn't know about BU, thanks. I have been refreshing my emails all week lol which concentration are you going into? I am doing children, youth, and families , clinical track

np! the email actually said by the end of february but closer tho the middle so it could be between then. for BU behavioral health, clinical track. for BC health, clinical track and i’m interested in the neuroscience certificate! im hoping that even if I don’t get into advanced standing they’ll offer me 2 year ?

@MSWSTRESS I also heard people from the forum in previous years find out about their acceptance with the agora portal from BC before an email or official notice. Not sure if you tried it but you basically go to agora portal BC use the same email that you did to apply and create an account, if you see grad deposit on the screen then you've been accepted (from what I read it seems legit!). My portal still doesn't say anything as of now

36 minutes ago, Polcc said:

@MSWSTRESS I also heard people from the forum in previous years find out about their acceptance with the agora portal from BC before an email or official notice. Not sure if you tried it but you basically go to agora portal BC use the same email that you did to apply and create an account, if you see grad deposit on the screen then you've been accepted (from what I read it seems legit!). My portal still doesn't say anything as of now

Ohh wow! I didn't know that, thank you so much! I tried waiting patiently but I can't anymore lol if I get in I need to start planning for a move and somewhere to live out there, so I need to know now lol  thanks again! Best of luck to you, hopefully we both get some great news in the upcoming days!

1 hour ago, Polcc said:

np! the email actually said by the end of february but closer tho the middle so it could be between then. for BU behavioral health, clinical track. for BC health, clinical track and i’m interested in the neuroscience certificate! im hoping that even if I don’t get into advanced standing they’ll offer me 2 year ?

I'm sure they will! I have been looking into the certificates as well and neuroscience was one that piqued my interest but I'm leaning more towards school social work or child welfare. Fingers crossed for good news for both of us ! For everyone actually ! this is so stressful lol

15 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

I'm sure they will! I have been looking into the certificates as well and neuroscience was one that piqued my interest but I'm leaning more towards school social work or child welfare. Fingers crossed for good news for both of us ! For everyone actually ! this is so stressful lol

Anytime! Yes good luck to you too!! Hopefully we hear something good soon :) Where are you moving from?

So I called CU about the issue last night and they said honestly they have no clue why that happened and are looking into it and will call or email me back later today once they figure out what went wrong. I asked if I’d been waitlisted or rejected and they said “Nope, you’re still under review and no decisions have been made whatsoever.” so.. take that as you will everyone else. She did not sound too excited about the situation and even said she’d seen my email wanted final confirmation before saying anything back. :(

edit: i’m taking it as informal waitlisting lowkey. 

Edited by madisonc7

23 minutes ago, Polcc said:

Anytime! Yes good luck to you too!! Hopefully we hear something good soon :) Where are you moving from?

I'm praying that we do so I can stop the stress eating lol but I would be moving from CT which isn't too far, its about a 2.5 hour drive but I've only ever lived in CT so this will be a big transition for me lol Do you live in the Boston area ?

4 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

So I called CU about the issue last night and they said honestly they have no clue why that happened and are looking into it and will call or email me back later today once they figure out what went wrong. I asked if I’d been waitlisted or rejected and they said “Nope, you’re still under review and no decisions have been made whatsoever.” so.. take that as you will everyone else. She did not sound too excited about the situation and even said she’d seen my email wanted final confirmation before saying anything back. :(

oof thanks for checking with them

21 hours ago, DakotaJean98 said:

I'm from Pennsylvania, but I applied to Chapel Hill too! I am waiting for a response and would love to get one soon with aid. I just got a decision from Pitt's program, so now this is the only one that I'm waiting on. 

Have you heard back from UNC yet? I'm obsessively checking my email/the portal!

11 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

I'm praying that we do so I can stop the stress eating lol but I would be moving from CT which isn't too far, its about a 2.5 hour drive but I've only ever lived in CT so this will be a big transition for me lol Do you live in the Boston area ?

Ohh that's not too bad. Yes I live in Brighton so I'm actually right in the middle of BU and BC and I live next to the T. I drive too so either way commute wouldn't be the worst. I'd look into Brighton/Alston area since they're relativity "cheaper" than in the city.

16 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Thanks for checking!! Hmmm... I wouldn’t say we are waitlisted... based on previous forums CU is notorious for sending out letters late. Hopefully we find out this week or next! 

1 minute ago, Polcc said:

Ohh that's not too bad. Yes I live in Brighton so I'm actually right in the middle of BU and BC and I live next to the T. I drive too so either way commute wouldn't be the worst. I'd look into Brighton/Alston area since they're relativity "cheaper" than in the city.

Yeah I looked at some apartments in the city and they are very pricy lol but that's good that you are right there, won't be too much of a hassle. I actually applied to be a RA at BC , (they allowed me to go through the process before knowing if I'm admitted) so if everything works out I will do that, and same for BU so I don't have to pay rent for at least the first year, but as always I wait for the emails lol

Man I need to vent.

Anyone just getting annoyed by this whole process? I applied CU and if they're still reviewing applications I don't understand why they wouldn't review all the priority deadline apps before releasing any decisions. I applied November 1st and am still waiting. I don't wanna be impatient and rude but ugh I purposefully tried to apply as early as I could to find out my status ASAP (and have a better shot of getting in). I know it's super immature to feel this way but it's frustrating to be waiting weeks after all of my other decisions.

I applied UMich and they contacted and wanted an interview. I interviewed and then got waitlisted. It's really bothering me that they didn't know based on my application if they wanted me, and then their final decision was "I guess we'll leave it up to fate if you get in, we could go either way." It really hurts especially since I go here for undergrad and am in the minor through the SSW. 

I'm just getting really frustrated because I read a bunch of people's stats on here and I literally could not compete due to disability. 2017 I was hospitalized due to health issues 5 different times, for a total of over a month spent in a hospital that year, and have been slowly recovering and working up to being a fully functional adult, which I have been for the past year. But I still can't overwork myself that much for my own health and wellbeing. I work 10-15 hours a week, go to school fulltime, and volunteer online for like an hour a week. I am going back to volunteering at a local homeless shelter this semester after taking last semester off to do grad school apps. I disclosed my disability on my apps as well.

I am SO happy for everyone who got in where they wanted, some of the people on this forum have truly done amazing things and clearly worked hard and deserve it. Like the world is so lucky to have y'all going into social work. Everyone here will be amazing social workers.

I hope I don't sound arrogant, I just feel frustrated with myself and my situation. I've been so frustrated with my disability all through undergrad, as I've had to give up great opportunities in order to maintain my health, and now it feels like it's greatly affecting my future in grad school. Like there's no way I can compete with able-bodied people and I'm so mad that I'm in this situation. 

Edit: Not to mention I literally was in the ER the morning of my interview with UM due to a flare-up. I got discharged at 10 am and raced to my apartment to get ready before my interview at 1pm.

Edited by IPmsw2020

39 minutes ago, IPmsw2020 said:

Man I need to vent.

Anyone just getting annoyed by this whole process? I applied CU and if they're still reviewing applications I don't understand why they wouldn't review all the priority deadline apps before releasing any decisions. I applied November 1st and am still waiting. I don't wanna be impatient and rude but ugh I purposefully tried to apply as early as I could to find out my status ASAP (and have a better shot of getting in). I know it's super immature to feel this way but it's frustrating to be waiting weeks after all of my other decisions.

I applied UMich and they contacted and wanted an interview. I interviewed and then got waitlisted. It's really bothering me that they didn't know based on my application if they wanted me, and then their final decision was "I guess we'll leave it up to fate if you get in, we could go either way." It really hurts especially since I go here for undergrad and am in the minor through the SSW. 

I'm just getting really frustrated because I read a bunch of people's stats on here and I literally could not compete due to disability. 2017 I was hospitalized due to health issues 5 different times, for a total of over a month spent in a hospital that year, and have been slowly recovering and working up to being a fully functional adult, which I have been for the past year. But I still can't overwork myself that much for my own health and wellbeing. I work 10-15 hours a week, go to school fulltime, and volunteer online for like an hour a week. I am going back to volunteering at a local homeless shelter this semester after taking last semester off to do grad school apps. I disclosed my disability on my apps as well.

I am SO happy for everyone who got in where they wanted, some of the people on this forum have truly done amazing things and clearly worked hard and deserve it. Like the world is so lucky to have y'all going into social work. Everyone here will be amazing social workers.

I hope I don't sound arrogant, I just feel frustrated with myself and my situation. I've been so frustrated with my disability all through undergrad, as I've had to give up great opportunities in order to maintain my health, and now it feels like it's greatly affecting my future in grad school. Like there's no way I can compete with able-bodied people and I'm so mad that I'm in this situation. 

Edit: Not to mention I literally was in the ER the morning of my interview with UM due to a flare-up. I got discharged at 10 am and raced to my apartment to get ready before my interview at 1pm.

You have every right to be angry and pissed. Your situation is unique in a way most of us can’t understand. It’s downright shitty how these processes work, especially with people who have struggled at different points for any reasons. Missteps are counted, and at the cost of many, regardless of whether or not it’s their fault. 
You deserve to be in any of these places as much as anyone else, if not more for pushing through. I’m sorry it’s playing out like this, and I think you know that this is not on you. 

Your feelings are absolutely valid. I’m frustrated and don’t even have a disability. 

1 hour ago, madisonc7 said:

What an unfortunate mistake lol...My portal just updated and the link is now gone for me. However, under my term of entry and program it now says "Please note that you may change your Method Area and Field of Practice selections prior to matriculation or during your first year of study."  which I doubt means anything.

3 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

What an unfortunate mistake lol...My portal just updated and the link is now gone for me. However, under my term of entry and program it now says "Please note that you may change your Method Area and Field of Practice selections prior to matriculation or during your first year of study."  which I doubt means anything.

I wanted to go “you’d better rush order my decision now”

My portal also has those changes though. 

Edited by madisonc7

Just now, madisonc7 said:

I wanted to go “you’d better rush order my decision now”

Lol seriously!! I don't think that the application update was indicative of any type of decision notification though. It seems like it was just a genuine (really, really unfortunate) glitch.

53 minutes ago, IPmsw2020 said:

Man I need to vent.

Hey vent away and sorry you're going through all the medical stuff on top of school and applications, that's a hell of a lot to deal with. I feel pretty comfortable saying that you've got the support of everyone here and you are clearly working really hard, so keep on keeping, you've got this.

Also CU is really messing with people right now (whether they meant to or not!) so I hope they issue an apology for how this process has gone.

Thank you for your email and your application. 

To be transparent, our team has been working behind the scenes to prepare our various sites for admitted students. The appearance of the link was not reflective of your admissions decision, as it was accidently added to all pages. We apologize for the confusion.

As always, students will receive an email alerting them to their decisions on their applicant status page.  Our team is working hard to review applications and we hope to continue releasing decisions throughout the upcoming weeks.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any questions.”

the email response 

1 minute ago, madisonc7 said:

Thank you for your email and your application. 

To be transparent, our team has been working behind the scenes to prepare our various sites for admitted students. The appearance of the link was not reflective of your admissions decision, as it was accidently added to all pages. We apologize for the confusion.

As always, students will receive an email alerting them to their decisions on their applicant status page.  Our team is working hard to review applications and we hope to continue releasing decisions throughout the upcoming weeks.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any questions.”

the email response 

That’s kind of neutral lol. Not necessarily good, but definitely not bad. So we just have to keep hanging on to hope I guess