MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Received my UMich financial aid letter this morning. Not as helpful as I was hoping ($2.5K/semester scholarship), but I think I might need to follow up with them and other schools about my FAFSA determination. The scholarship I received is said to be based on need and academic performance. I'm worried my packages are going to be off since I put in my current salary for the FAFSA but will not have that income while in school... Anyone in a similar situation and know how to think about that?

In the same email, I received a rejection for the HRSA Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care Trainees Program. No word still on the Integrated Health Scholarship or the Detroit Clinical Scholars Program, both of which I also applied for.

Edited by SMLDC

4 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

Received my UMich financial aid letter this morning. Not as helpful as I was hoping ($2.5K/semester scholarship), but I think I might need to follow up with them and other schools about my FAFSA determination. The scholarship I received is said to be based on need and academic performance. I'm worried my packages are going to be off since I put in my current salary for the FAFSA but will not have that income while in school... Anyone in a similar situation and know how to think about that?

In the same email, I received a rejection for the HRSA Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care Trainees Program. No word still on the Integrated Health Scholarship or the Detroit Clinical Scholars Program, both of which I also applied for.

What was your FAFSA-generated EFC? That’s ultimately what matters in the end and usually is the basis for supplemental aid in the form of loans, at least for graduate school. Though that shouldn’t deter you from asking for additional grant support!

5 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

Does anyone know if we will hear back from Boston University soon?? I know that they said end of February but I'm hoping that it's sooner.

they told me the middle of feb...which could be next week... im contemplating calling mid next week since BC deposit is due by the 27th 

13 minutes ago, Polcc said:

they told me the middle of feb...which could be next week... im contemplating calling mid next week since BC deposit is due by the 27th 

I know..we'll be having to make a decision in a pretty short amount of time. I think I might reach out to BU as well.

Just now, NicoleDes said:

I know..we'll be having to make a decision in a pretty short amount of time. I think I might reach out to BU as well.

let me know if you do and I will too! I just got a call about accepted students day and they told me to email them asking about my aid package, assuming they didn't attach one with your acceptance either?

Just now, Polcc said:

let me know if you do and I will too! I just got a call about accepted students day and they told me to email them asking about my aid package, assuming they didn't attach one with your acceptance either?

I'll keep you posted! I didn't find anything about financial aid. However, I received a scholarship. I'm not sure if that counts as aid? Did you receive one as well?

Just now, NicoleDes said:

I'll keep you posted! I didn't find anything about financial aid. However, I received a scholarship. I'm not sure if that counts as aid? Did you receive one as well?

Yes I got a scholarship too. There should be another one with grants/loans etc somewhat soon i hope?

Hey everyone! I wanted to list the MSW programs  I applied to as well as my general academic background to see the liklihood of getting accepted.

Schools I applied to ( schools with *** is my top choices):

1. Hunter College

2.Lehman College***

3. College of Staten Island***

4. Kean University***

5. Stony Brook

Academic Background:

Overall GPA (graduate in may 2020): 2.9

Psych major: 2.995

Sociology minor: 3.2

3 years of internship experience: 1 year as an RA at my current campuses dorm, one year experience interning at a high school working with at-risk students, currently working as a Peer mentor for a program on my campus where  I work with college students and help them get adjusted to college life. 

Do you guys feel that my experiences, personal statement, and recommendations can help me still get accepted into these schools even if my GPA is not as competitive??

Hello everyone! 

I'm new to this forum, but I want to interact with everyone else who is feeling the same stresses of waiting as I am.

So far I've been accepted into Tulane University (safety school) and rejected from UMich (to be fair it was to be expected haha and a rejection is better than the anxiety of waiting).

One of my top choices is NYU. I completed my application December 17th. They mention on the website that it takes 3-6 weeks to make decisions. I still haven't heard back and I'm considering reaching out to check on my status. Has anyone else heard back from them yet?

On 2/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, Shuklaklakla said:

Hi Everyone!

I got accepted into USC Suzanne-Dowark and University of Denver (still waiting on Columbia). A lot of my decision is based on Financial Aid-- However both USC and Denver are saying that I wont get my package until after I enroll in their program. Are you guys hearing the same things? USC also said that they do not give grants. 

I am starting to freak out over the cost! I don't understand how you figure out what school you want to choose when you dont know how much the cost will be- It definitely is a factor! 

Hi! I just got an email from USC with a scholarship this morning but I haven't enrolled yet. Maybe they meant you won't get your financial package that is based on FAFSA until you enroll?

50 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

hi! i got the same offer and am still waiting on the special program scholarship determination as well. i'm a little confused too, but it seemed like we were going to get a separate email with loan eligibility etc based on the fafsa being processed? i interpreted this award as coming directly from the SSW based on what we had submitted on the financial aid portion of the app (but i wouldn't necessarily expect any more need-based from the fin aid office's email). re fafsa, i would hope the EFC would take into account that we are obviously not going to have our FT jobs/income once school starts...

1 minute ago, noooodle said:

hi! i got the same offer and am still waiting on the special program scholarship determination as well. i'm a little confused too, but it seemed like we were going to get a separate email with loan eligibility etc based on the fafsa being processed? i interpreted this award as coming directly from the SSW based on what we had submitted on the financial aid portion of the app (but i wouldn't necessarily expect any more need-based from the fin aid office's email). re fafsa, i would hope the EFC would take into account that we are obviously not going to have our FT jobs/income once school starts...

I would hope so, too, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I feel like this is a really common predicament for mid-career professionals returning to school, yet I don't see much guidance out there about it. I assume if I reach out to financial aid here or any other school they'd be able to answer it quickly and definitively.  The reason I raised it in this context is that the scholarship I received from the UMSSW was partially need-based in addition to academic performance... hence, if my need were seen as higher, maybe that scholarship could also increase. Does that make sense?

17 minutes ago, ambash99 said:

Hello everyone! 

I'm new to this forum, but I want to interact with everyone else who is feeling the same stresses of waiting as I am.

So far I've been accepted into Tulane University (safety school) and rejected from UMich (to be fair it was to be expected haha and a rejection is better than the anxiety of waiting).

One of my top choices is NYU. I completed my application December 17th. They mention on the website that it takes 3-6 weeks to make decisions. I still haven't heard back and I'm considering reaching out to check on my status. Has anyone else heard back from them yet?

I emailed a while ago and they said by Feb 22nd for everyone, I guess. 

15 minutes ago, ambash99 said:

Hello everyone! 

Congrats on getting into Tulane!! I live about an hour and a half away from their campus and they're a great school! For NYU, my application was complete 1/06 and I got an acceptance letter on 1/24. They're still rolling out decision letters up until the end of February, I believe. 

Just now, qnguyen0227 said:

Congrats on getting into Tulane!! I live about an hour and a half away from their campus and they're a great school! For NYU, my application was complete 1/06 and I got an acceptance letter on 1/24. They're still rolling out decision letters up until the end of February, I believe. 

Thank you! Tulane is an amazing school, and I won't be upset if that's where I end up. Congratulations to you!

9 minutes ago, SMLDC said:

I would hope so, too, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I feel like this is a really common predicament for mid-career professionals returning to school, yet I don't see much guidance out there about it. I assume if I reach out to financial aid here or any other school they'd be able to answer it quickly and definitively.  The reason I raised it in this context is that the scholarship I received from the UMSSW was partially need-based in addition to academic performance... hence, if my need were seen as higher, maybe that scholarship could also increase. Does that make sense?

Real talk - I think y’all are reading way too much into the word “need” in your scholarship offers. This doesn’t mean they would have given you a ton more free money had your EFC been lower.

Edited by ghklig

28 minutes ago, ambash99 said:

I got into NYU on Tuesday, but they initially said I would hear back by in late Feb/Early March. I think they still have a lot of decisions to roll out.

Just now, simonsays said:

I got into NYU on Tuesday, but they initially said I would hear back by in late Feb/Early March. I think they still have a lot of decisions to roll out.

Congrats!!! Fingers crossed I hear back by next week.

11 minutes ago, ghklig said:

Real talk - I think y’all are reading way too much into the word “need” in your scholarship offers. This doesn’t mean they would have given you a ton more free money had your EFC been lower.

Fair point. Grad school tuition is a total racket, so just trying to shave off costs as much as possible :)