What are my odds of acceptance?

Ian Melendez

Good afternoon, I am trying to gauge my odds of acceptance into three graduate programs for a masters in history. Below are my general stats that are applicable and I would like to see what everyone things my odds are of getting accepted as well as funding. I am taking the GRE next thursday so I will post those below once taken.

The three schools are University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Texas State University in San Marcos, and University of Memphis

B.A. History, Minors in Political Science, Military Science

Undergrad GPA: 3.01

Work: 2LT US Army Military Intelligence

Publications: I was published three times while in undergrad

I have several public speaking engagements, lead battlefield tours, was invovled in ROTC for 3 years, received various awards for my publications and military service, and I spent three years in Model United Nations. 

My letters of rec come from two of my history professors and a lieutenant colonel in the army (my co-author)

3.01 GPA is just making the cut-off for general graduate school admissions as well as funding if it's competitive.  However, your veteran status may give people a second look at your application.  I can't say for sure about MA programs-- you will need to consult their websites and email the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) with additional questions that are not found on the website.  You'll want to be sure that you explain your research interests and purpose of earning a MA.

LT--

Welcome to the Grad Cafe.

Take a look at Wright State University.

(IRT one of your published works on SWJ, I think that you'd benefit from taking a closer look at the historiographical debates centering around Kennan's impact on America's post-World War II national security policy. He himself argued that what the U.S. implemented WRT containment was a far cry from what he intended. And also, I think you may want to develop further your approach to using one's understanding of the past to inform contemporary policy recommendations if you plan an academic career down the line. "Applied history" is frowned upon in some corners of the House of Klio.)