2020 Religion Application Thread

NyarkoSan

4 hours ago, 11Q13 said:

April 15 is the official "s*** or get of the pot" day, regardless of when the offer was made. It's an official policy that virtually all US programs abide by.

Love the metaphor but could you be a bit more precise about what that means to you?

If BC is just letting ppl off the waitlist now, do you think other schools still haven't taken ppl off their lists?

If you want to know more about the April 15 Resolution, here you go. Within the field we operate within, I think just about all schools have signed onto it and most adhere to it. Some schools have been known to try and push students to make decisions before the 15th but that's another issue.

As @thiscalltoarms noted, some schools purge their waitlist shortly after the 15th and Admissions for the Fall is officially over so they adhere to that date for planning purposes.

Given the times that we find ourself in, I'd always ask for more time. The worst case scenario is that they say no. Just understand that they're under no obligation to provide it but they want people at the school that want to be there.

Finally 0-for-2 on Phd programs. Figured it was a bit of a flier with an MDiv only. Plan to start STM next fall (hopefully in person at the going rate) and then start applying again in a couple years. Well done and good luck to everyone starting something in the fall. Hopefully I remember my password when I come back here for the next round of applications.

guys, any suggestions for asking more scholarship from the school? I am accepted into a seminary within the Toronto school of Theology but TST doesn't give international student scholarships. The seminary only offers a small amount of bursary compared to tuition. any suggestions on finding outside scholarships?

22 hours ago, lroma1949 said:

How difficult is it to get into one of these PhD programs without publishing any papers first? Would it be impossible? 

Very common to have no published papers and in many ways, desirable. The work you produced as a M* student, hopefully, should be second rate to what you've done as a doc student, just as faculty work should trump student work.

As my advisor put it: Your focus as a M* student should entirely be focused on consuming knowledge. We don't want students that as M* students felt like they knew it so well that they needed to go educating others, because ultimately you known jack shit.

I think it's beneficial to have some kind of presentation(s) under your belt though, only because it helps you talk about your research interests. There are regional meetings and graduate student conferences that are run for this very reason, a space for budding and new scholars to bounce ideas off of other young people.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 4:05 PM, NyarkoSan said:

Anyone on here interested in applying for Islam or Middle East-related degrees? It seems like everywhere I look Islamic studies doesn't have a very vocal pool of applicants...

I will be for next year in 2021. I just found this site and I'm hoping to meet others interested in academic Islamic studies.

23 hours ago, cdhtrigger said:

I will be for next year in 2021. I just found this site and I'm hoping to meet others interested in academic Islamic studies.

Hi friend: you'll want to venture over to the 2021 thread for most recent postings. In terms of others interested in Islamic studies, the above poster--Alizeh55--is applying for just that field!