SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2020-2021

howlx

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has applied for the SSHRC postdoctoral fellowship? Thought I would start a forum to wait out the results with others. 

The acceptance rate is around %17 and %19. I applied last year as well, but unfortunately was rejected. You can find lots of detail about previous years in Wikia.org. Here is the page for last year's competition:

lhttps://academicjobs.wikia.org/wiki/SSHRC_2019-2020

I think the worst thing about this fellowship is being have to wait for 6 months; I got my letter on 8th of March last year. I don't understand why they insist on using regular mail for notifications in 2019.

Edited by FSBM

Thanks for the link! Hopefully the results aren’t that late this time around. I read that we are supposed to hear back some time in February. Best of luck to you on your application!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! The countdown is on. We should hear in 8 weeks right? 8 weeks until I find out whether I have a bridge to help me gain a tenure track position or if I am stuck being a PhD who is woefully underemployed! ?

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Gabriela Capurro said:

Hi everyone. I know it's early but has anyone heard from sshrc? Is it true they use regular mail for notifications, not email?

Yes they still use snail mail. They will probably mail at the very end of February (if they’re on time) so hopefully we’ll hear first week of March. Good luck everyone! 

Hey everyone! I emailed SSHRC to ask if they were going to post on Twitter that the competition results have been mailed (they’ve done this is the past). The answer was yes. So watch Twitter to know when to start stalking your mailbox. 

Edited by Anthrogal

Good luck everyone. I think I am automatically out of luck. I realized (literally yesterday when the letters went out) that I had never submitted my final report for my doctoral award which I believe automatically disqualifies me. I was so worried about defence, revisions, and submitting postdoc and employment applications that I totally forgot about it. You have 6 months, but my 6 months were up at the end of November. I'm feeling pretty devastated that I am going to lose out based on my own ineptitude rather than the quality of my application (although I may very well have been unsuccessful anyway). I hope letters come quickly for you all and that you have great success.

6 minutes ago, Anthrogal said:

Good luck everyone. I think I am automatically out of luck. I realized (literally yesterday when the letters went out) that I had never submitted my final report for my doctoral award which I believe automatically disqualifies me. I was so worried about defence, revisions, and submitting postdoc and employment applications that I totally forgot about it. You have 6 months, but my 6 months were up at the end of November. I'm feeling pretty devastated that I am going to lose out based on my own ineptitude rather than the quality of my application (although I may very well have been unsuccessful anyway). I hope letters come quickly for you all and that you have great success.

I may be wrong, but I don't see anything in the Eligibility, Application Process, or Evaluation and adjudication to suggest that you'd be automatically disqualified.

https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/postdoctoral-postdoctorale-eng.aspx#4

Thank you. Maybe there is hope but on the reporting page it states ‘if you have outstanding reporting requirements you are ineligible for future funding until outstanding reports are complete’. My only glimpse of hope is that if I was successful that my holding an award is conditional on my fulfilling the outstanding requirements (which I did already once I realized my mistake). It sounds to me like ‘ineligible’ suggests I was automatically disqualified. I emailed SSHRC on Friday to ask for clarification on the policy and they told me I would have to wait for my letter before they would answer any questions. I’m assuming the worst. 

1 hour ago, Anthrogal said:

What!? I didn't even know this achievement report was even a thing. I finished my doctoral fellowship almost two years ago. Do they not send out an email reminder to do the report? I am so terrified now that this will disqualify me... what terrible news