SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2020-2021

howlx

Longtime lurker, new poster (thanks to all who posted for helping to keep my anxiety down!)

For those in Vancouver - mine got delivered today.

Offered by committee 4A!

4.2/4.75/5.0 and overall 4.77 (cutoff was 4.18)

ABD, 4 pubs (+1 accepted the day after I submitted and 1 under review), lots of talks and posters (maybe ~20?) at conferences, SSHRC CGS-D as a PhD, and ~10 small awards (travel, undergrad research, etc).

Take care of yourselves, everyone!

1 hour ago, PhDone(Almost) said:

Longtime lurker, new poster (thanks to all who posted for helping to keep my anxiety down!)

Offered by committee 4A!

ABD, 4 pubs (+1 accepted the day after I submitted and 1 under review), lots of talks and posters (maybe ~20?) at conferences, SSHRC CGS-D as a PhD, and ~10 small awards (travel, undergrad research, etc).

Congratulations! 

18 hours ago, Ohmyagingeyes said:

I'm in Toronto.  The letter carrier has come and gone.  AGAIN.  Nothing.  Anyone else in Toronto in the same boat?

I'm in the same boat - I'm right downtown (not GTA). If it helps to know there is somebody else who hasn't heard. I'll drop in here if I do hear. I'm not letting anybody know my 'score' etc but don't mind indicating that I received notification if it gives others in TO some peace of mind.

27 minutes ago, DrMyEyes said:

I'm in the same boat - I'm right downtown (not GTA). If it helps to know there is somebody else who hasn't heard. I'll drop in here if I do hear. I'm not letting anybody know my 'score' etc but don't mind indicating that I received notification if it gives others in TO some peace of mind.

Thanks. That would be super helpful! I will do the same. (I am right downtown also.)

Edited by Ohmyagingeyes

13 hours ago, PhDone(Almost) said:

Offered by committee 4A!

Well done! Congratulations! Keep up the momentum as you transition into the post doc. Now... get that dissertation defended and done so you can move from ABD to Dr.! :) all best!

Hi folks! Congrats to everyone, submitting a postdoc application is quite a bit of work by itself! I was wondering if anyone got results from Committee 6. I ask because I went for 6 last year and I was expecting (or hoping) better results from Committee 1 (given that my background is literature). I found that 1 might have received more applications in comparison to the rest, and that in overall there were fewer applications from last year's round.

Anyway, can someone tell me what the numbers were for Committee 6, i.e., numbers of applicants, fellowships offered and the cut score? Thanks in advance!

I got the letter in UK. Reject for committee 4. 

My proposal was scored 2.9, which I genuinely feel is wrong. I just won an early career award with this proposal at one of the most prestigious societies in Psychology. This is my second time applying and the score got even worse (the same proposal). I am done and done with SSHRC. For those who are successful, congrats! Please savour your success for all of us.  

14 minutes ago, EKKK said:

I got the letter in UK. Reject for committee 4. 

My proposal was scored 2.9, which I genuinely feel is wrong. I just won an early career award with this proposal at one of the most prestigious societies in Psychology. This is my second time applying and the score got even worse (the same proposal). I am done and done with SSHRC. For those who are successful, congrats! Please savour your success for all of us.  

Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't try to read into it too much. SSHRCC is so unpredictable and not getting it does not reflect your value as a scholar (or generally as a human!). We tie too much up in this competition, but we need to take a step back and see just how much of a crap-shoot it is. Take care of yourself today (ice cream and/or alcohol helps :) )

14 minutes ago, Gradschoolguy said:

Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't try to read into it too much. SSHRCC is so unpredictable and not getting it does not reflect your value as a scholar (or generally as a human!). We tie too much up in this competition, but we need to take a step back and see just how much of a crap-shoot it is. Take care of yourself today (ice cream and/or alcohol helps :) )

Thank you dear. Academia is a cycle of ever-proving your self-worth. Not worth it! Bless you! :) 

5 minutes ago, a_lef said:

Is anyone still waiting?

Still waiting in BC. It's kind of unreal that some folks in the UK have already received their results but we haven't! Also, can we just talk for a moment about how archaic it is to communicate this stuff by mail?

EKKK, I'm sorry for the results. I understand your frustration and like others have said, try not to read into it. Sounds like you have other awesome things happening in your career that are more worthy of your focus and attention.

Just received my letter in Saskatoon. Offered an award by Committee 2B. 64 applications considered by the committee, 14 awarded (749 considered overall, 160 offered). I am very happy and excited, but I also see just how slim these chances of winning are. I think my proposal gained some momentum by current events that are beyond my control. I encourage everyone to keep applying and keep working hard. SSHRCC is great but it is not everything. In fact, it is the lowest Post-Doc amount I applied for (quite a bit lower than many other offers). Keep your heads up everyone!

50 minutes ago, a_lef said:

Is anyone still waiting?

Still waiting in Italy. I feel like it's going to be an eternity until it gets here. No idea why they still insist on doing this via snail mail ?

Still waiting in Newfoundland also. So frustrating this mail system, haha. I emailed SSHRC and they said the following:

Please expect a two week wait period to receive your letter. You may then contact SSHRC if you haven’t received your letter.

Not sure if that means they’ll send the results electronically, but fingers crossed it gets here before then.

1 hour ago, Sk3535 said:

Still waiting in Newfoundland also. So frustrating this mail system, haha. I emailed SSHRC and they said the following:

Please expect a two week wait period to receive your letter. You may then contact SSHRC if you haven’t received your letter.

Not sure if that means they’ll send the results electronically, but fingers crossed it gets here before then.

I've heard that if you don't receive your letter in two weeks they send the results via email.

Edited by FSBM

Still waiting in the US. I'm not that far from Ottawa but the border slows eveyrthing down. The good news is that we still have Saturday delivery in the US so there's  a chance it'll arrive today. 

Edited by Gumby77

14 hours ago, Gumby77 said:

Still waiting in the US. I'm not that far from Ottawa but the border slows eveyrthing down. The good news is that we still have Saturday delivery in the US so there's  a chance it'll arrive today. 

I got mine in the US on the West Coast, I'm not sure what is holding yours down! I got mine today (7th) over in Eugene.

Also, for people interested in stats, successful!  Rank 5/87. Committee 4A. Last award granted at 4.18. Scores: 4.95, 4.70, 5.25. 

This is my second SSHRC attempt and probably would be the last eligible, since I finished my Ph. D. in 2018. I was rejected during my Ph. D. for SSHRC (brutally!!!) with a similar proposal and rejected last year from NSERC, likely I didn't have enough community activity since that is something that is important to that application, but who knows for sure. Good timing, my postdoc finishes this year.