SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2020-2021

howlx

1 minute ago, Nick C said:

What!? I didn't even know this achievement report was even a thing. I finished my doctoral fellowship almost two years ago. Do they not send out an email reminder to do the report? I am so terrified now that this will disqualify me... what terrible news

Nope I didn’t get an email reminder. I was talking with someone and they mentioned doing their report. I knew I had never done one. Went to the website and sure enough...link to achievement report for cgs-d under talent competitions and then the notification that I outlined above. I even rechecked my email but I received nothing from the U or SSHRC reminding me I had a report due or even that I missed the deadline. I received an email from SSHRC in January of 2018 indicating the new format of the final report with a link, but that was so long ago I of course totally forgot. I’m sorry you are in the same boat. Hopefully it’s not that we were immediately disqualified but that if we were awarded a postdoc no funds will be released until the outstanding reports are submitted. I’m so, so frustrated that SSHRC refused to provide clarification on the policy to me when I asked for it.  Now I’m in limbo and terrified. Sorry if I did that to you as well. 

12 minutes ago, Nick C said:

What!? I didn't even know this achievement report was even a thing. I finished my doctoral fellowship almost two years ago. Do they not send out an email reminder to do the report? I am so terrified now that this will disqualify me... what terrible news

That's why I was saying before that it wouldn't affect. I received a notification to hand it a report two years ago, but there was never a final one. And, when I applied last year for the postdoc and received the response in March, there was no mention at all about being disqualified because of no final report. Stop freaking out, fellow nerds!

5 minutes ago, Jaime Brenes Reyes said:

That's why I was saying before that it wouldn't affect. I received a notification to hand it a report two years ago, but there was never a final one. And, when I applied last year for the postdoc and received the response in March, there was no mention at all about being disqualified because of no final report. Stop freaking out, fellow nerds!

I do hope you are right and that it’s the overachiever, crazy-making nerd brain that has me freaking out. But it says ‘ineligible to hold funding’. I’m going to hold onto the hope I’m overreacting (academics are notorious for forgetting details like these kinds of reports right?). So glad I posted now. You’ve talked me down off the ledge. 

1 minute ago, Anthrogal said:

I do hope you are right and that it’s the overachiever, crazy-making nerd brain that has me freaking out. But it says ‘ineligible to hold funding’. I’m going to hold onto the hope I’m overreacting (academics are notorious for forgetting details like these kinds of reports right?). So glad I posted now. You’ve talked me down off the ledge. 

I hope so too. I just found my letter and notice of award from 2014. There is no mention of a final report. Is this a new requirement for doctoral fellowship holders? I'm going to be absolutely gutted if I am disqualified because of this. Anyways, Good luck everyone else! 

I received mine in 2016 and received the email regarding the changing format of the final report in January of 2018 (my award ended in May 2019). I’m not sure if it’s new (I’m not sure where my notice of award is - probably in a box as I moved). Hopefully it was instituted after so you’re in the clear. 

Hi everyone,

The first thing of "My Portfolio" section is: 

REMINDER

To be eligible to apply for any SSHRC grant, applicants must have submitted any outstanding final research or activity reports for previous SSHRC grants.

I hope it helps you. 

9 hours ago, Sonia F said:

Hi everyone,

The first thing of "My Portfolio" section is: 

REMINDER

To be eligible to apply for any SSHRC grant, applicants must have submitted any outstanding final research or activity reports for previous SSHRC grants.

I hope it helps you. 

This is exactly what has me terrified. 

9 hours ago, PeaDev said:

Why don't you guys just e-mail SSHRC? they'll probably get back to you a bit ahead of the results arriving in the mail and the info will help future applicants too. Fingers crossed for everyone. 

I did email them Friday looking for clarification on the policy (I.e. am I automatically disqualified or can still be awarded postdoc conditional on submission of outstanding report). They told me to wait for the letter. I responded asking for just general clarification on SSHRC policy and they told me they will not respond to any questions until I have my letter. So frustrating! I didn’t realize the final report was outstanding (I received reminder emails and completed all other reporting). I just have to wait and see what the letter says. 

47 minutes ago, Anthrogal said:

I did email them Friday looking for clarification on the policy (I.e. am I automatically disqualified or can still be awarded postdoc conditional on submission of outstanding report). They told me to wait for the letter. I responded asking for just general clarification on SSHRC policy and they told me they will not respond to any questions until I have my letter. So frustrating! I didn’t realize the final report was outstanding (I received reminder emails and completed all other reporting). I just have to wait and see what the letter says. 

Okay... but that message could have the undertone of you got it and so there's no question to be answered right? I know this is super stressful, and you feel like your whole future is riding on this, but it's probably not. If you had SSHRC for your doctorate and you were able to defend it, it's pretty safe to say you're a competent researcher and adult. Either way you're among some pretty incredible people who've submitted applications. ❤️ 

Edited by PeaDev
typo

Thanks so much for the kind words. I appreciate it. At this point, there’s not much to do but wait. I don’t mind being unsuccessful going up against others as I know you and everyone else who have applied are incredible researchers. It’s losing to my own error that’s unbelievably frustrating. Good luck and I hope you’re successful! Looking forward to reading everyone’s good news this week! ❤️

I have been silently monitoring these pages over the last few weeks, as I'm sure many of us have, and eagerly awaiting "the results". I have also signed up for an account after reading the most recent contributions.

Dear Anthrogal and anyone else who needs to hear it: Whatever happens next, know you did your best. I hear your stress, and I affirm YOU. But...even if you wish you could go back in time and change things,  I just want to remind you that you can ALWAYS move forward. YOU get to choose the kind of life you want to have, and importantly, YOU get to choose the kind of person you want to be.

Know that whatever great things you do in the world...you WILL do, and not because you received or didn't received SSHRC-PD. Finally, and more than anything, please - be kind to yourself.

With you in solidarity.

Edited by vs13

12 hours ago, vs13 said:

I have been silently monitoring these pages over the last few weeks, as I'm sure many of us have, and eagerly awaiting "the results". I have also signed up for an account after reading the most recent contributions.

Dear Anthrogal and anyone else who needs to hear it: Whatever happens next, know you did your best. I hear your stress, and I affirm YOU. But...even if you wish you could go back in time and change things,  I just want to remind you that you can ALWAYS move forward. YOU get to choose the kind of life you want to have, and importantly, YOU get to choose the kind of person you want to be.

Know that whatever great things you do in the world...you WILL do, and not because you received or didn't received SSHRC-PD. Finally, and more than anything, please - be kind to yourself.

With you in solidarity.

Thank you! ❤️ I have to say that I am grateful and humbled by the support given on this board. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Anthrogal

I emailed SSHRC today to confirm if they mailed the letters, and they said "The results for the SSHRC Postdoctoral competition were sent by mail February 28th, 2020." Shouldn't people on the east coast receive their letters today in this case?

According to Canada Post:

Delivery times are: 

In the same city - 2 business days

In the same province - 3 business days

nationally - 4 business days

**** states date of mailing does not count so today would be day 1. PeaDev - tomorrow should be the day! ?

I’m out of the country for all of March (which I knew was a possibility) but my partner is unexpectedly also gone for two weeks starting today. We don’t have anyone checking out mail because there’s a basket inside the door slot to catch it.

Does anybody know *any* way I can get the result from SSHRC by phone or email, rather than have to wait for two weeks and have my partner open it for me?