Was just wondering if anyone else on GradCafe was applying to MFT PhD or related programs? There's not really a perfect forum to post about it in, as GradCafe doesn't have a Human Ecology forum, but Psychology seems as close as anything.

I was trying to figure out average dates for interviews and the like but that's pretty hard for the MFT programs.

I've applied for Marriage and Family Therapy or Couples and Family Therapy programs at:
University of Iowa
University of of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Kansas State University
Adler University
Antioch University
Mount Mercy University.

Hey PsyZei, 

I applied to Antioch’s CFT with Art therapy for Spring 2020 and I’m feeling the wait to hear back. Even though I know it’s still early. I was just online looking if anyone ever spoken to the typical time frame of hear back about the applications. Good luck on all your applications. 

16 hours ago, Lionesslk said:

Hey PsyZei, 

I applied to Antioch’s CFT with Art therapy for Spring 2020 and I’m feeling the wait to hear back. Even though I know it’s still early. I was just online looking if anyone ever spoken to the typical time frame of hear back about the applications. Good luck on all your applications. 

Same here! I know it's early, but was interested in what the general time frame is. There isn't a lot of chatter about it.

I did get a phone call from Adler today with an interview invite for January. I was surprised at how quick that was and am really excited about it. 

Good luck to you also!

I'm going to go ahead and list the results I get back as I go, so it might help someone else have an idea of what to expect in future years.

School: Adler University (Chicago)

Type: PhD Couple and Family Therapy

Date of contact: December 3rd, 2019

Contact Type: Call from Admissions Counselor, followed up by email, for interview invite

Interview date: January 15th, 2020 on campus

School: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities

Type: PhD Family Social Science, Couple & Family Therapy Specialization

Date of contact: December 4th, 2019

Contact Type: Email from graduate program coordinator

Information: Email thanked for interest in the program and completing an application. Also explained that "this month our faculty members will review applications and will identify a group of applicants to invite to participate in online, video interviews. Applicants invited to participate in interviews will receive a request by February 2020."

School: Mount Mercy University

Type: PhD Marriage and Family Therapy

Date of contact: December 9th, 2019

Contact Type: Email from Assistant Director for Recruitment and Outreach that linked to a RSVP form to sign up for the interview date.

Interview date: February 19th, 2020 on campus

Edited by PsyZei
clarity

2 hours ago, Lionesslk said:

Sweet congrats on your replies for interviews! Do you have a first pick? 

I have a few that I think would be better fits when it comes to the program, but they tend not to be the same few that the location would be better for me. Funding will probably end up being a big part of my decision, if I get multiple acceptances.

Did you apply anywhere besides Antioch?

• 2 weeks later...

School: University of Iowa

Type: PhD Psychological and Quantitative Foundations, Couple and Family Therapy

Date of contact: December 16th, 2019

Contact Type: Email from Office of Student Services Coordinator

Contact Information: Email letting me know that my application "is now complete and is being referred for the faculty review." Said faculty were copied to the email (I replied to all thanking for the update).

Other Information: My application was complete on December 1st, but the program's official due date for application completion is not until January 1st. The programs webpage states that "faculty consideration of applications begins January 15 for fall entry." My assumption (which might be incorrect) is that is still the date the application will actually begin to be reviewed, and the email is just a courtesy to let them and myself know the application is marked complete.

School: University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Type: PhD Human Sciences, Global Family Health and Wellbeing

Date of contact: December 19th, 2019

Contact Type: Email from Associate Professor and Graduate Director

Interview date: January 31st, 2020 on campus

• 3 weeks later...

School: Kansas State University

Type: PhD Human Ecology, Couple and Family Therapy

Date of contact: December 20th, 2019

Contact Type: Phone Call, followed up by email, from POI inviting to interview on the 31st and attend a current graduate student hosted dinner on the 30th.

Date of contact: January 8th, 2020

Contact Type: Email from program coordinator (also POI).

Interview date: February 10th, 2020 on campus

On 12/19/2019 at 6:42 PM, PsyZei said:

Type: PhD Human Sciences, Global Family Health and Wellbeing

Date of contact: December 19th, 2019

Congrats! I’m a clinical PhD student there so I can’t speak to this specific program but let me know if you have any questions about Lincoln/the psych department ?

1 hour ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

Congrats! I’m a clinical PhD student there so I can’t speak to this specific program but let me know if you have any questions about Lincoln/the psych department ?

Thank you! UNL is one of the top three, of the programs I applied to, for the best fits for me when it comes to POIs and research- I am really excited about this interview!

• 4 weeks later...
I have several acceptance/rejection updates I'm going to add as one post with dividing lines like this:
-----------------------------------------------

ACCEPTANCE

School: Adler University (Chicago)

Date of contact: January 21st, 2020 (interview was January 15th)

Contact Type: Email offering admission

Notes/Comments: The email states that a decision must be received by February 21st. This is problematic with my last interview date being February 19th.

REJECTION

School: University of Wisconsin-Madison

Type: PhD Human Ecology, Human Development & Family Studies

Date of contact: January 24th, 2020

Contact Type: Email from graduate program coordinator

Notes/Comments: "Thank you for your application.... Attached you will find our admissions decision." (Filler removed)

REJECTION

School: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities

Type: PhD Family Social Science, Couple & Family Therapy Specialization

Date of contact: January 29th, 2020

Contact Type: Email from "The Graduate Faculty Family Social Science University of Minnesota"

Notes/Comments: Sent the nicest rejection letter I've received to date saying "We are sorry to say that we could not grant your request for admission... Because our field is very small, we are confident that our professional paths will cross again." (filler removed)

ACCEPTANCE

School: Kansas State University

Type: PhD Human Ecology, Couple and Family Therapy

Date of contact: February 3rd, 2020 (interview was January 31st)

Contact Type: Phone Call from POI leaving a voicemail with acceptance news and discussing logistics.

Notes/Comments: I had a sick kid, who tested positive for flu, and was in a doctors appointment then at the pharmacy. So I ended up not noticing the voicemail until after hours. Planning to call back tomorrow morning.

I am very excited about being accepted to K-State. Logistically they are one of the best locations for my spouse's work (which is an important consideration for us). They also offer a lot of benefits when it comes to entering/continuing in the MFT/CFT field (good research opportunities, AAMFT approved training for becoming a supervisor, great faculty, etc...).

Also, I wanted to mention something about this because interview attires seems to be an often asked thing and seems to vary by field. The MFT/CFT field does not seem to be as formal as some fields. The attire I've seen by both faculty and applicants has ranged from business casual to business formal. I don't think anyone could go wrong with suits, but I think there is quite a bit of wiggle room for being yourself. Generally, I've only seen those who present as male in full blown business formal style suits. I've seen those who present as female in everything from khakis and sweaters to dresses and blazers.

To my first interview I was in some regular work slacks, a dress shirt (top buttons undone), and a not very formal looking blazer- and I ended up being one of the most dressed up individuals there.

My second interview I wore gray suit with a dress shirt (top buttons undone), and was again one of the more dressed up individuals- though not as significantly as as I was about on par with others who presented as male.

I don't think you can go wrong by dressing formally by any means, but I do think there is quite a bit of leeway in how you present yourself, clothing wise.

School: Antioch University - New England

Type: PhD Marriage and Family Therapy

Date of contact: February 4th, 2020 (applications closed 1/31/20)

Contact Type: Email from Admissions Counselor

Interview date: Option of February 18th, 19th, 21st, or 26th of 2020. On campus.

Type: PhD Human Sciences, Global Family Health and Well-being

Date of contact: February 11th, 2020

Notes Contact: Financial package info to come!

ACCEPTANCE

Date of contact: February 14th, 2020 (interview was February 10th, 2020 on campus)

Contact Type: Email of official invitation to the program from the core faculty.

Notes: "This is your official invitation to our program. You are welcome to start this fall and your acceptance is not contingent on funding. However, we know funding is an important part. We will not know how much funding we have for another few weeks to a month."

I really like this program and am very excited about getting accepted.

5 hours ago, PsyZei said:

ACCEPTANCE

Date of contact: February 14th, 2020 (interview was February 10th, 2020 on campus)

Contact Type: Email of official invitation to the program from the core faculty.

Notes: "This is your official invitation to our program. You are welcome to start this fall and your acceptance is not contingent on funding. However, we know funding is an important part. We will not know how much funding we have for another few weeks to a month."

I really like this program and am very excited about getting accepted.

Congrats!!!! 

• 1 month later...

I officially signed, scanned and returned the paperwork today for University of Iowa's program!

It was a really hard decision to make a decision and it came down to between them and University of Nebraska-Lincoln for the last couple days just trying to figure out which was the best path forward for my career and my family's future plans. I honestly found myself wishing only one had accepted me or only one had offered funding, lol! Both programs and mentors at the programs very good fits and programs for me. Now that the decision is made, I am really looking forward to next year.

If anyone is going through the process of applying for Human Ecology related degrees in the future, feel free to reach out to me ?