Outside major

I’ve seen a little bit here and there, but is it very feasible to get into a graduate program with an outside degree?

My bachelor’s is in social work, and while that seems random, I think it can really apply to the field. I’ve taken a ton of leveling courses and I took this year to get a significant amount of volunteer/observation hours in multiple settings. I’m also set to start a research project (SLP related) here soon. I’m just nervous and was wondering if anyone out there can relate. I only applied to a couple places last year (without the experience I have now) and didn’t work out. I doubled it this time around but I feel like the more I read into these forums, the more panicked I get :(

17 minutes ago, MsFutureSLP said:

Hi! 

If you don't mind me asking where did you apply this year? I'm also out of field and feel the panic and anxiousness you may be feeling at the moment. 

UC, OU, Baldwin Wallace, University of Toledo, and I’ll be submitting to u of Louisville, auburn, and Murray state in the next few days. I just found a thread where a girl said she’s been rejected 4 years in a row (applying to some of my same schools) and my panic meter is steadily rising. You? 

Hello,

First year grad student here - yes it is very possible! I was Linguistics and Psych undergrad and now I'm attending Penn State's grad program (they were one of the few programs I applied to who accepted out of field students). Very happy and very grateful!

Good luck to you in your application process!

I'm also from an even more outside field (international studies, and for the past six years, I've been working in hospitality).

I feel your nervousness, but plenty of people have been accepted from outside fields.  If you have solid grades in speech pre-reqs and can write a good statement, then there's a good chance! I like to think that being from an outside field is a positive thing, as I'm adding a different perspective.  I also refuse to go down the rabbit hold of reading where people apply, where they interview, whether or not they get in.  There seems to be very little rhyme or reason to acceptances, so you just have to submit your application and see what happens!  

Good luck! 

Hi! Current student here. I also am an outside major (Sociology and Polisci double major). I was so nervous about not getting into any schools since my background is non-speech related. You should be fine as long as you have done the pre-reqs and have volunteering as well! Best of luck!

I have known so many outside-major post-baccs who have gone to a few of my dream schools for SLP (very outside majors, such as Art History)! I think it's less about your previous major and more about your involvement and volunteerism, which can be interpreted as the passion you have for this field. As long as you've taken all the necessary prerequisites, they will look at your academic portfolio the same as any other CSD major.