Environmental Management and Policy 2020

prokem

It's almost priority deadlines for Yale F&ES, Nicholas school, SEAS, and others. I saw there was a 2019 topic on env management and policy, so I thought I'd start one for this admissions cycle. Let's help each other out, commiserate (hopefully not), and (sustainably) celebrate together!

For all applicants to MEMs, environmentally-focused MPPs/MPAs, etc

Not applying this cycle but noticed that Michigan SEAS is waiving the application fees for some or all of their programs this year. Makes it a free shot for most of you, so why not have a go? I live in Ann Arbor- it is pretty nice here. I also continue to be impressed by afar from the apparent resources put in to Duke's programs. I don't know whether that is felt 'on the ground' so to speak, but they seem a lot better at social media at least than some other departments across the country. 

20 hours ago, sage1234 said:

Great idea! Do you have any idea what will be asked on the Yale F&ES video interview?

I've heard that it's a more casual gauge of English i.e. unrelated to the specifics of the program/your application. One of the video sessions I attended talked about asking your favorite movie or book

On 12/8/2019 at 10:06 AM, scalmanac said:

RSVP'ing for the celebration. Yale F&ES here!

Best of luck! F&ES is the dream for me--also applying to UMich SEAS and UPenn's MES program

1 minute ago, sage1234 said:

Hi! For those of you who are applying to SEAS, did the admissions department reach out to schedule an informational phone call? 

Yes! It was more of a q&a which I wasn't really expecting, but I was able to just ask a bunch of questions relating to the application, extracurriculars, academics, etc. 

17 minutes ago, prokem said:

Yes! It was more of a q&a which I wasn't really expecting, but I was able to just ask a bunch of questions relating to the application, extracurriculars, academics, etc. 

Same! I got some really great info. I also learned that average GPA for admitted students is appx. 3.5-3.6 and average GRE scores range throughout the 70th percentiles! 

Hey!Have you finished the online interview? I am curious about the three questions. Would it ask about your past contribution to the community or the world? Or your interests in environment? Or the book you like?

Feeling nervous too....

Edited by CharMMMi

Waiting for some advice here.

2 hours ago, CharMMMi said:

Hey!Have you finished the online interview? I am curious about the three questions. Would it ask about your past contribution to the community or the world? Or your interests in environment? Or the book you like?

Feeling nervous too....

I just finished it! I'll second what @HoyaX17 about randomization AND about having a pen and paper. It was definitely useful for writing out what I planned on saying. Beforehand, I also made little notes about experiences I thought could be relevant to the types of questions I anticipated they'd ask, just to refresh my own memory. I would recommend having an experience on hand that you could use the STAR method for just in case, as it could certainly be useful for one of the questions. 

On 12/23/2019 at 2:06 PM, sage1234 said:

Now it's a waiting game - best of luck to you all! What specializations are you applying for? 

I'm applying for climate change science and solutions & environmental policy analysis at F&ES, and environmental policy and planning at SEAS. What about you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 2:06 PM, sage1234 said:

Now it's a waiting game - best of luck to you all! What specializations are you applying for? 

I'm applying to People, Equity and the Environment MEM. 
I am completing another degree at Yale with an environmental focus so I hope it helps. 

On 12/30/2019 at 12:39 PM, prokem said:

I'm applying for climate change science and solutions & environmental policy analysis at F&ES, and environmental policy and planning at SEAS. What about you?

Super cool! I am applying for People, Equity, and the Environment at F&ES and Environmental Justice at SEAS! I'm mostly interested in environmental justice research and policy

15 hours ago, HoyaX17 said:

I'm applying to People, Equity and the Environment MEM. 
I am completing another degree at Yale with an environmental focus so I hope it helps. 

I'm also applying for People, Equity, and the Environment! U Mich SEAS is my top choice though :) 
I think your current degree at Yale should definitely help! Best of luck to you