How much research experience is sufficient to get into ChemE PhD programs?

shoyemiademola

Hello people! I am a 2018 ChemE grad from Nigeria and I'm applying to ChemE PhD programs in the US. I graduated from a top 5 Nigerian institution where I completed senior research and design projects. I was wondering if these would be sufficient research experience for PhD programs given that American and Asian students have more research experiences.

My stats are: GPA--4.82/5(roughly a 3.87/4)

GRE-- 160Q, 162V, 4.5

My research interests include-- fuel/PV cells, electrochemistry and batteries, CO2 conversion, and air pollution

Other info-- I have LORs from my research Supervisor, design Supervisor and a senior lecturer from my department which I believe are all very positive. I was also ranked 2nd in my class.

I have applied to the following Universities: University of Michigan 

Purdue

University of Colorado boulder

University of Notre dame

Rensselaer polytechnic institute

University of Iowa

Stevens institute of technology

I appreciate your comments and suggestions! Thank you

• 1 month later...

Research experience is preferred, but not mandatory. Your stats are very good and will be competitive with other applicants. Remember that its mostly about your Statement of Purpose and Letter of Recommendations. 

I'm not exactly sure you can say that Americans and Asian students have more research experience. I guess you can assume that since these two categories are the majority of the demographics of American college.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 1:24 AM, shoyemiademola said:

Hello people! I am a 2018 ChemE grad from Nigeria and I'm applying to ChemE PhD programs in the US. I graduated from a top 5 Nigerian institution where I completed senior research and design projects. I was wondering if these would be sufficient research experience for PhD programs given that American and Asian students have more research experiences.

My stats are: GPA--4.82/5(roughly a 3.87/4)

GRE-- 160Q, 162V, 4.5

My research interests include-- fuel/PV cells, electrochemistry and batteries, CO2 conversion, and air pollution

Other info-- I have LORs from my research Supervisor, design Supervisor and a senior lecturer from my department which I believe are all very positive. I was also ranked 2nd in my class.

I have applied to the following Universities: University of Michigan 

Purdue

University of Colorado boulder

University of Notre dame

Rensselaer polytechnic institute

University of Iowa

Stevens institute of technology

I appreciate your comments and suggestions! Thank you

I also applied to Notre Dame and from Nigeria for a PhD in Electrical Engineering. I just recently had a Zoom Interview with a prospective Supervisor. Whats the progress in your application ?

On 2/4/2020 at 2:23 PM, Mvem said:

I also applied to Notre Dame and from Nigeria for a PhD in Electrical Engineering. I just recently had a Zoom Interview with a prospective Supervisor. Whats the progress in your application ?

Still under review. No news yet.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, shoyemiademola said:

Still under review. No news yet.

What about and Rensselaer and Colorado Boulder, I also applied to these two