When should my boyfriend start looking for a job?

JackieW

So, my wonderfully supportive boyfriend is making the move from Connecticut to Milwaukee, Wisconsin so I can go to grad school. We graduated a year ago, and neither of us have been able to find spectacular jobs, so we're not leaving anything worthwhile behind. I am starting to wonder though: how soon should he start looking for a job? (His undergrad degree is in graphic design, so we're hoping he can find something in his field.) Any advice on how to do this? We're planning on starting a lease either July 15th or August 1st.

hm... i'm working on this with my also wonderfully-supportive girlfriend right now.

when to start: the sooner the better, of course!

how to do this:

1. write a CV. you can include:

- career objective (1 sentence stating the job you'd like-- it should match the job you apply for!)

- work experience

- educational background

- volunteer work/internships

- other interests and skills, including languages, software, etc.

2. go register at monster.com.

3. search for 'graphic design'/'design'/'illustration'/'arts' and whatever other jobs he's willing to take, and apply to ALL of them.

4. don't forget to include a cover letter relating your skills to the job's tasks and saying how qualified you are!

good luck!

Given the economy, as soon as possible would be ideal even it led to him getting hired months before a move date. It may be difficult to transition but it would be the least disruptive financially. It doesnt hurt he's not thrilled about the current job though.

My wife is currently job hunting now from afar so that she is employed by the time September rolls around. We plan on making at least one trip out there (NYC) before moving.

My short answer: now. Better sooner than you'd like than later than you need!

But you might want to gauge the area's employment rates and opportunities in that field, to decide how soon to look.

Also, if your boyfriend can freelance, he might not need to be in such a hurry.

From the day I submitted my applications (Oct-Jan), my husband started checking the different areas for jobs. When I received my admissions offers and narrowed my choice, he started seriously looking in that area (Mar-Apr). When we went to visit in June to scout a place to live, he had interviews lined up. We moved in July and he accepted an offer to start work within a week of our arrival.

• 2 months later...

Be careful though... a lot of places want to do interviews soon after you turn in your resume. If you are still out the of the area, you will be rejected for not being convenient.

• 4 weeks later...

depending on where you are up there...it would be possible for him to commute into chicago... much better market.If you are up for suburban living it might be useful to live somewhere in between and both commute to milwaukee and chicago respectively...

Metra has direct into Chicago DT from Kenosha for instance..

Edited by njw

From the day I submitted my applications (Oct-Jan), my husband started checking the different areas for jobs. When I received my admissions offers and narrowed my choice, he started seriously looking in that area (Mar-Apr). When we went to visit in June to scout a place to live, he had interviews lined up. We moved in July and he accepted an offer to start work within a week of our arrival.

This guy sounds like a pro.