Speech@Emerson May 2020

Hi all, 

I just completed my application and interview for the May 2020 Speech@Emerson cohort last week. My advisor told me the turnaround time for a decision would be 3-8 weeks, however since I applied so early, it may be sooner. I'm excited because my advisor said the interview went well and everything I've submitted has looked good, but I'm a little worried because my undergrad GPA wasn't amazing. I graduated with a 3.1 cumulative, and my GRE scores were fairly average (I don't remember them off the top of my head :)). I'm hoping my personal statement and interview will push the decision in my favor. Has anyone else received a decision yet? I would love to hear everyone else's experiences so far!

(apologies for the double post! I found this section after my initial post in a different thread and found it to be more relevant :))

Hello! I also applied to Speech @ Emerson for the May 2020 cohort. I applied on Dec 17th and was asked to schedule an interview on Dec 18th. Due to the holidays and faculty being out, I interviewed on January 3rd. My application was officially submitted to faculty yesterday and now I am eagerly awaiting their decision. I've heard great things about this program and I'm hopeful I'll be admitted. My GRE scores were not the best, although I did do well on the writing subsection. I graduated with a 3.92 gpa and have 5 years of SLPA experience. My friend is in the program and says they choose different types of students to be in their program. I think you'll be just fine! I know some of the students did not have the highest gpa but their personal statement and LORs helped them be admitted! Best of luck to you! Please update if you hear back!

Hi! I applied to Speech@Emerson for the May 2020 cohort, interviewed in late November and received the news that I was accepted on December 20th! My admissions counselor called to tell me the news, then followed up with an email. My cumulative GPA was 3.8, GRE scores 149, 150, 4.5. I worked as an SLP-A for 3 years before applying. I felt I wrote a strong personal statement and had good LORs so I think that helped too.

I'm currently undecided if I'll attend, awaiting a few more schools so I can know all my options before deciding. GOOD LUCK to you both, it seems to be a really great program!! 

Edited by emdspeech

I haven't submitted my application yet. But, I am also planning on applying to Emerson. I am a little nervous about the interview, what sorts of questions did they ask? Good luck, I'm sure you have a good shot of getting accepted.

Hi all, 

Just an update - I unfortunately did not get accepted. :( They didn't say why, although I think it's likely due to some lower prereq grades (chemistry and bio, mainly). I'm considering applying to NYU for the fall but not totally set on it just yet. If not, I will be retaking some classes and trying again next year. As far as the interview, I can't say exactly what questions they asked me but it was very relaxed and if you know why you want to be an SLP, you'll be in good shape. It was three questions and the other two I wouldn't have been able to prepare for as they were pretty random. Good luck to you all, I wish you the best!

13 hours ago, futurespeechieinprogress said:

Hi all, 

Just an update - I unfortunately did not get accepted. :( They didn't say why, although I think it's likely due to some lower prereq grades (chemistry and bio, mainly). I'm considering applying to NYU for the fall but not totally set on it just yet. If not, I will be retaking some classes and trying again next year. As far as the interview, I can't say exactly what questions they asked me but it was very relaxed and if you know why you want to be an SLP, you'll be in good shape. It was three questions and the other two I wouldn't have been able to prepare for as they were pretty random. Good luck to you all, I wish you the best!

Sorry to hear that you didn't get into Emerson. I am sure you will get into another program! Their turn around time seems to be pretty quick? My cGPA isn't too impressive and the GPA from my first degree is ...YIKES. Haha, but I'm giving it a shot anyway. I'm also applying to NYU Steinhardt this cycle...keep us updated!

Edited by KEIM

6 hours ago, KEIM said:

Sorry to hear that you didn't get into Emerson. I am sure you will get into another program! Their turn around time seems to be pretty quick? My cGPA isn't too impressive and the GPA from my first degree is ...YIKES. Haha, but I'm giving it a shot anyway. I'm also applying to NYU Steinhardt this cycle...keep us updated!

Thank you! It's a bummer because I was set on going there, but it happens! Their turnaround time was super quick - my app went off for final review on 1/14 and I got the email on 1/18. I think I'm going to enroll in some summer classes to bring up a few less than stellar grades (chemistry and I are not friends, haha!) and apply for fall at NYU. I found on their website that the GPA cutoff is a 3.0 cumulative and 3.2 for CSD so I'm good as far as that goes! Let me know how it goes when you apply. I'm rooting for you! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 2:12 PM, bilingualspeechlife said:

Hello! I also applied to Speech @ Emerson for the May 2020 cohort. I applied on Dec 17th and was asked to schedule an interview on Dec 18th. Due to the holidays and faculty being out, I interviewed on January 3rd. My application was officially submitted to faculty yesterday and now I am eagerly awaiting their decision. I've heard great things about this program and I'm hopeful I'll be admitted. My GRE scores were not the best, although I did do well on the writing subsection. I graduated with a 3.92 gpa and have 5 years of SLPA experience. My friend is in the program and says they choose different types of students to be in their program. I think you'll be just fine! I know some of the students did not have the highest gpa but their personal statement and LORs helped them be admitted! Best of luck to you! Please update if you hear back!

Hi! I still need to do my virtual interview and was wondering if you could tell me what kinds of questions they ask or what the format is like? Thank you so much for your help!

11 minutes ago, nenebunk said:

Hi! I still need to do my virtual interview and was wondering if you could tell me what kinds of questions they ask or what the format is like? Thank you so much for your help!

Hello! My questions were pretty specific to my statement of purpose. It is very relaxed and informal. Create an elevator pitch for why you chose to pursue a career as an SLP. I was really nervous but it's so casual! You'll interview with your advisor for about 12 minutes. Good luck on your interview! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am interviewing with Emerson in just a few days and I’m so nervous! Also with a virtual interview, what did you wear? Also, what should I prepare for with the 3 questions. I’m thinking the usual “why do you want to be a SLP or why do you want to attend this program” but I’m a little nervous because I’ve heard a few mention that the 3 questions are totally bizarre. 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:48 AM, amw1125 said:

I am interviewing with Emerson in just a few days and I’m so nervous! Also with a virtual interview, what did you wear? Also, what should I prepare for with the 3 questions. I’m thinking the usual “why do you want to be a SLP or why do you want to attend this program” but I’m a little nervous because I’ve heard a few mention that the 3 questions are totally bizarre. 

The questions weren't bizarre in my opinion. Be prepared to discuss what sparked your interest in SLP. I just wore a nice shirt. My hair was kind of a mess! lol

• 1 month later...

Who else will be apart of the May 2020 cohort? I got a call that I was accepted today. I still haven't received an email with the letter. How long did it take for the email to come through? Hope it wasn't an error. LOL. 

1 hour ago, KEIM said:

Who else will be apart of the May 2020 cohort? I got a call that I was accepted today. I still haven't received an email with the letter. How long did it take for the email to come through? Hope it wasn't an error. LOL. 

Me! I received their call first and then received an email with intent to enroll documents a few hours later! Congratulations! 

On 3/27/2020 at 8:20 AM, SpeechieMom said:

Same here! Got my acceptance email and call yesterday! So excited! Where are you all from? And are you going on campus or online? 

Nice! I am in the distance program. We have a little FB chat going for the Speech@Emerson May 2020 cohort. Let me know if you'd like me to add you!

• 2 weeks later...